PDA

View Full Version : Best load manual

cwskirmisher
09-15-2010, 12:03 PM
I have several now older load manuals - Lyman 47, Lee, Winchester. What is the best new edition out there that encompasses the new powders, and still covers older calibers?

Rocky Raab
09-15-2010, 04:34 PM
The best advice is to always use the current edition of the bullet maker's manual as your primary load source (assuming jacketed bullets) and the powder maker's current book as a check. Then use the Lyman manual to resolve any differences, typos or other discrepancies.

Different bullets (even of the same weight) can radically change the pressure developed. That's why the bullet maker's manual is primary.

With cast bullets, the Lyman Cast Manual is about the only (and therefore the best) load source available. The Lee manual, while offering several interesting ideas and formulas, contains no original data whatsoever. ALL loads in the Lee manual are from either bullet or powder manufacturer's data. The loads are merely re-printed - sometimes with typos reproduced.

Ickisrulz
09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
We are still all waiting for Lyman's 4th edition of Cast Bullet Handbook. Maybe this one will be the best!?

d garfield
09-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I have both of Lymans new books,and love them. I mainly load cast bullets in my Quigley 45-70 sharps and my Rugar 357 mag, Blackhawk

missionary5155
09-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Good morning
IF you can lay your hands on Ken Waters reloading manuals you will have some fine information to help you along. Used sets pop up now & then. I would like to have a set here in Peru even though reloading is rather "limited" to scrounging componets.

Beerd
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
I know it's not a very good answer, but the best reloading manual is sort of like the best firearm, the one I don't have but am always looking for.
That said, I use my Lyman alot.

uncle joe
09-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I just bought a Hornady manual that is full of calibers, don't know how many are old but they had 6.8spc which is why I bought the first new manual in 30 years. I have a lyman 41 that I use for cast boolit data

09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I have a bunch of manuals, sierra, hornady, nosler, lyman, all the powder data i can get my hands on. Can't pass up a manual that needs a good home.

badgeredd
09-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I have several now older load manuals - Lyman 47, Lee, Winchester. What is the best new edition out there that encompasses the new powders, and still covers older calibers?

IMHO there ain't no such animal. Like many others, I have some manuals that are at best outdated and a few newer ones with more to cime. I believe that one will be hard pressed to find a "good" manual that encompasses both old and new cartridges with much depth. That is why I have never discarded an older manual and continue to buy new ones on occasion.

Edd

spqrzilla
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
There is so much loading data available from powder manufacturers online that I don't really buy loading manuals.

cwskirmisher
09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for their inputs. The majority of you suggested I pick up different bullet manufacturers manuals, and also Lyman... I have most of the bullet maker's books, and I went ahead and picked up the Lyman 49th - it has a lot of new information and still covers boolits too. I think I have what I need now.