PDA

View Full Version : new to Pan lube, DGL cake lube ??

robertsm53
09-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Am new to pan lubing and started with the DGL as suggested by Shiloh Sharps when I got my rifle. Last night I started pushing out my first batch of 500 grain boolets. This stuff seems to be real SOFT, much more than the sticks I use in the RCBS lube/Sizer. As I handle the bullets to remove them from the grease and place them in a holding tray the grease seems to be softening and easily damaged just by my body heat. Is this normal? Is this lube supposed to be that soft? Should I add beeswax fr something to harden it? Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

cajun shooter
09-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Dgl is a top rated lube which I have used. Yes it does have a very soft texture. You don't say what location you are in but if it is in the South you may add to it. Pure Lanolin may be added and will do two things. It is sticky and will help the Lube stay in the grooves and second it helps with the job at hand which is the lubrication of the bbl. You may also try adding small amounts at a time of beeswax. It is one of the best to harden any lube and is the one of choice when it comes to a BP gun. Check with Randy Rat on this forum for the BW and go to Amazon .com for the lanolin.I use the NOW brand which is 100% pure.

semtav
09-16-2010, 03:41 PM
I switched from SPG to DGL in my RCBS Luber, and could tell the instant the other lube started coming out. It was definitely softer.

Have you tried dip lubing instead of pan lubing it?

When I switched from sizer lubing to dip lubing the SPG, it definitely set up harder on the bullet when finished.
I'm going to try the same thing with the DGL when I get a bigger batch to see if it it sets up harder too doing it that way.
Brian

robertsm53
09-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I have added a few ounces of Beeswax to the DGL. Quite a bit harder and stays in the grooves much better. I also places the pan in the freezer to harden. While the block was still quite cold I gently tapped the bullets out with a SOFT rubber tipped mallet. Bullets dropped free immediately. were still cold and I was able to handle them and place them in storage trays without the lube getting so soft that it was sticking to me instead of teh groves. Worked great, and now with them in the storage trays I can pick them up and get them in the cartridges before they get so messed up in the handling.
Still havent put the DGL in the Lubri-sizer, that will be in the near futrure.
Great forum you guys have here, I have learnde a bunch of good tips already.