PDA

View Full Version : Loading cast for a special gun?

Canuck Bob
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
If you wanted to shoot alot with cast bullets how would you design your loads for to be as easy as possible on the rifle while maintaining decent accuracy and power.

Components and techniques to make the throat last is an example. Powders that give good performance in reasonable pressure ranges, that sort of thing.

There seems endless advice on sneaking up to max pressure and max velocity but steady diets will shake just about any gun loose.

RobS
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
A bit more info will help us out. If you are reloading for a 44 mag lever action it is totally different than let's say a 30-06. There will be a lot less to sift through with your question if there are more specifics to work with.

Canuck Bob
09-15-2010, 12:43 AM
I was asking for a more general outlook but considering a new 32-20 92 Winoku I'm getting specifically.

To expand, I read somewhere that stick powder is more abrasive to throats than ball powder.

Well lubed cast must be easier on a barrel than jacketed and so on.

Perhaps it is not an easy question to answer, too many variables and individual preferences.

Buckshot
09-15-2010, 02:17 AM
.............Just my perception of the cartridge but I seriously doubt you're going to have any issues with throat erosion and the 32-20. I mean, not in THIS lifetime. Consider the 30 M1 carbine cartridge as a comparison for such a thing as throat erosion, and then cut any evidence of it in half for the 32-20.

...............Buckshot

Dean D.
09-15-2010, 02:46 AM
FWIW Bob I load my 32-20 up with 4.5gr. of Unique with the 115gr cast boolits(PB or GC). It is a 1912 version of the Win. model 1892 and shows no evidence of erosion or loss of accuracy in it's 98 years of use.

Bret4207
09-15-2010, 07:29 AM
I have several 32-20's. I think you'd be hard pressed to get any real throat erosion using standard loadings and cast. If want to take it easy on it stick you have a choice of faster powders which theoretically are consumed within the case and cool as they expand down the bore or a slower powder which in theory spreads it's burn over a larger area thus not punishing one area of the throat or barrel repeatedly. I'm not sure which theory is correct, maybe they both are.

XWrench3
09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
i agree with buckshot. heck, my rem 700 had over 5k full power 300 win mag rounds through it, and it was shooting the smallest groups (.462" 100 yd) it had ever shot. dont worry about wearing it out, unless you are mixing sand in with the lead! just find a couple of loads that shoot well, and ENJOY yourself! :)

Doc Highwall
09-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I think your biggest problem for throat erosion would be not fluxing your alloy getting the sand/silicates out.