PDA

View Full Version : My M1a and I return from the range first 100round review

10mmShooter
09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Heres pics of my new M1A, after we returned from the range first 100 rounds, no stoppages or malfunctions, even with the Korean mags, they worked great, I've got some Winchester mil contract mags on the way. :Fire::Fire: I've wanted this gun for 25 years, I could not be happier with it :mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://www.keithrussell.net/m1a.jpg

One very small dent on maybe 30% of the brass, I'll need to deterime what pesky protrusion is causing the dings. Could be the forward edge of the operating handle face, notice the brass color, could be the angled underside of the stripper clip guide?? Not sure I'll research later. The dings are not bad enough to prevent reloading.

Brass ejects nicely about 18 inches high(always stays low flying very nice), goes off at .45 degress to the gun, about 5 feet forward and 6 feet to the right as you hold the weapon. Last round always falls a little closer than the rest.

Springfield tech inspection card stated headspace was 1.632, which is nice a perfect .308 spec and a touch snug on the 7.62 mil spec.

Brass characteristics before and after firing for 150g Remmington .308 commercial ammo used today:

Neck dimensioin prior to firing .336 after .346 change +.010
Bottom of shoulder prior to firing .450 after .455 change + .005
Middle of cartridge prior to firing .460 after .464 change +.004
Bottom of cartridge at head prior to firing .465 after .469 change +.004

I was pretty pleased with the changes in the brass prior and after firing, I dont see any dimension that concern me(experts please jump in), I think my Redding dies comps die set and body die can handle getting the brass back in spec for the next loading.

http://www.keithrussell.net/brassding.jpg

NuJudge
09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Don't be worried about the brass kisses on the rifle or dings in the brass.

Different loads may give you different brass trajectories.

madsenshooter
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
On my Garand and the M1A I used to have, the neck dings seemed mostly to be coming from the op rod, the area you have circled in the pic. It's a part of ownership, something you learn to live with.

10mmShooter
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
thanks guys glad to hear the dings are normal.