PDA

View Full Version : Lee turret or Lyman T-Mag

NWFLYJ
09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I have a Dillon 550 that I have been using for about a year and love it. I want to add a second press to my bench and a local reloader is getting out of the hobby. He is offering me first choice on his presses. I have not used any of these and would be thankful for some input.

1. Lee Classic turret
2. Lyman T-Mag
3. Lee Challenger
4. Lee hand loader

Thanks Mark

Matt3357
09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
I have a lyman T-mag and the lee turret. Both will make good ammo, but the lyman in my opinion is much much stouter plus has room for 6 dies per turret, which is nice. The only problem with the lyman is the priming. I hand prime so it is not an issue, but priming with the lyman either requires the hokey lyman primer tube feeder or placing each primer in the seating pin each time. The lee is much better about priming with the safety prime and also has the auto indexing feature. When I use my turret, i do batches. I use it as a single stage press so I don't have to reset my dies each time so the lyman works great for me. Plus I got it for a song so that helps too. Choose which suits you the best, but I like my lyman. Ask around on the forums and you can get another turret head for it for less than new. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Matt

geargnasher
09-14-2010, 12:40 AM
I've used the t-mag too, and I won't ever buy one. Wobbles too much unless you tighten the hub bolt each time you index stations, which precludes sequential loading. The Lee turret supports the outside edge of the turret under pressure and thus makes square ammunition. The auto-index feature is absolutely wonderful. Even the cheaper Lee turret presses with the smaller ram and hollow base are very, very good units and are extremely "user friendly", and accessories are cheap. Get an Autodisk measure and riser, you'll be a convert I assure you.

Gear

jmsj
09-14-2010, 01:53 AM
NWFLYJ,
I have the Lyman T mag and the Lee classic turret press. Sounds like Matt3357and I have about the same reloading procedures.
I leave my LYman T-Mag set up for .45 Colt and .44 mag. The rest of the carrtridges I reload for are set up on spare turrets. It makes changing out dies a three second drill.
jmsj

JesterGrin_1
09-14-2010, 02:18 AM
I had a Lyman T Mag and sold it to get the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and I never looked back.

I load from .38Sp to my 45-70 on the Lee

So I have to say go with the Lee you will be money ahead and have a great press.

rollmyown
09-14-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't understand, - "giving up the hobby"

No experience with any of the others, but I love the classic cast turret press. If you're not full length sizeing large cases and case forming this one is a beauty.

dragonrider
09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Forget the T-mag. Grab all of the Lee stuff.

JesterGrin_1
09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't understand, - "giving up the hobby"

No experience with any of the others, but I love the classic cast turret press. If you're not full length sizeing large cases and case forming this one is a beauty.

I full length re size 30-06 and .270 W and also form them to the .35 Whelen as well as full length size 45-70. and have had no problems doing so with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. :)

RobS
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
My vote would be the Lee Classic Turret. The press is solid and one that a person can easily function. With the Safety prime, the auto disk measure (& riser to clear the other dies an safety prime) a person can put out a quite a bit of ammo in a short amount of time. It won't be as fast as the progressive, but not too far off.

skeet1
09-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Lee Classic Turret with out reservation.

Skeet1

Cowboy T
09-14-2010, 08:06 PM
+1 for Lee Classic Turret. The way the turret is held in there means you won't ever have that eventual wobbling that the Lyman design will eventually get. It's also less money and totally easy to use. Very fine piece of gear.

This is in contrast to the "regular" Lee Turret which also is a good press, but nowhere as beefy as the Classic Turret.

Thecyberguy
09-14-2010, 08:35 PM
+2 for the Lee classic turret...you will like it...TCG

DLCTEX
09-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Classic Cast turret gets my vote. I have both, but the Lyman is broken ( bolt broke while sizing 243 brass that needed the shoulder set back). The Lee isn't going to break.

azcruiser
09-15-2010, 03:57 AM
2. Lyman T-Mag just my 2cents worth

John Guedry
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I've got the T-Mag and am satisfied with it.

BillP
09-18-2010, 10:36 AM
T-Mag for me too. The primer is actually way LESS "hokey" to me than the Lee. I like having 6 die stations. I keep 2 complete revolver calibers with Uniflow powder measures mounted (on powder though dies). The turret only "wobbles" between indexing if not adjusted properly...it doesn't "eventually get a wobble" either. Just learn how to adjust it correctly and forget about it.

My guess is the Lyman posted about with a broken bolt is actually one of the first Spar-Ts before they increased the turret bolt size...some of those were known to break. Later Spar-Ts and T-Mags have a larger bolt. Neither one of the presses is perfect or for everyone. Pick the one that suits your loading preferences...it just happens that Lyman does for me and Lee doesn't.

mdi
09-18-2010, 12:07 PM
If the price is right, get 'em both. Usa a simple "press plate" quick detatch system and compare them yourself. I'm sure after a couple months you will know which one to sell and for what reasons...

HeavyMetal
09-18-2010, 12:23 PM
If I had the cash I would also buy the Lee Classic turret, if it was the cast iron press, and the T-Mag.

A few years ago I converted a Tru-Line JR to a six station 7/8-14 turret and having six stations is great when you wish to experiment with loading techniques!

I also have a Challanger that gets used for a lot of case prep, push through sizing, and I haven't had a problem with it but I did convert it to all steel linkage shortly after I got it.

1hole
09-18-2010, 12:50 PM
My original press was a Lyman six station turret, Spar-T. Don't know how the T-Mag retatians the heads but I couldn't swap the heads in mine in less than five minutes if I had the correct wrench in hand! And, to do it without removing a few dies first would require a socket wrench and extension to get to the nut.

Never found the turret to be useful or time saving at all. I eventually added a good single stage and only use the turret press for special purposes; decapping, expanding, crimping, etc.

OldBob
09-21-2010, 05:06 AM
I had both, sold the T-Mag......... I am very happy with the Classic Cast Turret press. I did keep my Rockchucker for single stage operations but I'll be darned if I know why, the Classic seems to do just as well.

bruce drake
09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Buy the LEE Gear. Money well spent. Great products. Sorry to hear your friend is leaving the hobby.

Bruce

pmeisel
09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Had a T-Mag for 23 years and counting -- I'm happy with it as my one and only.

"tempted by the fruit of another"... I like looking at the girls in the dillon ads, but that's it.

reloader62
09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Ive had a Lee turret press for 15 years and always loved it except with longer rifle calibers you have to disable the auto index or it wont turn before hitting them on die plate. I helped a new loader set up his new Lee turret and was loving the new improvements they made .Guess I'll have to buy a new one myself.