PDA

View Full Version : candle palm wax

Tinglebeezy
09-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I was at michaels today and they sell palm wax for making candles. Its $10 for a 2lb bag and looks like the stuff you put on a shuffle board table (sand like). Has anybody used it?

357maximum
09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Palm Wax, Candellia Wax, and Carnauba wax are not the same thing (different plant) but they can be used interchangibly as for intentions and purposes in lube making. In candle making they are used as a hardner and for special effect purposes like crystal looking candles and other odd effects.

lawhetzel
09-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Recently, I was in our local bulk food store. They have canning supplies, etc. I asked for paraffin wax, but they said they did not have any. They directed me to a product called "Paramount Crystals." It really does not feel like paraffin and is made of palm kernel oil. I checked it out on the net and this is what I came up with:

Paramount crystals are chips of partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil combined with lecithin and citric acid (as a preservative) for the use in confectionery coating and chocolate work. When used it keeps the chocolate fluid. Used similarly to cocoa butter in chocolate work, except paramount crystals have virtually no flavor (tasteless)

Maybe this is what you have. I have not figured out what to do with it, but it seems like it should work in some sort of lube recipe.

felix
09-14-2010, 07:47 PM
It will WORK expecially for BP. The intent would be to lower the ph value of the entire lube. Caution is required, however. Lube a steel plate, something close to the composition of the barrel, and place in a humid environment for several days, as in the amount of time between cleanings. For exact time, such as for BP dirty time mainly, the time to get home from the range, or hunting location should suffice. If there is any hint of rust, the time is too long or the lube ph is TOO LOW. Raise the ph by adding other lube components until satisfaction is met. ... felix

Keep in mind that just about any oil you can think of can be made into a wax. The oil is "bombarded" with hydrogen incrementally until the "hardness" becomes appropriate for the intended application of the stepped-up "wax". Castor wax has many times the viscosity of lithium lubes, and should be used with extreme suspicion. Use plain old anhydrous lanolin when viscosity must be added, or use lithium stearate in lieu of lanolin. Hydrous lanolin has lower viscosity and COULD be more appropriate for BP. ... felix

sagacious
09-16-2010, 11:10 PM
I have used palm 'wax' as the primary wax in my lube for quite a while. Palm wax is hydrogenated palm oil, like Crisco is hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil. Palm wax conveys a range of advantages when used in a smokeless lube. Works great for me up to 2200fps-- haven't tried it faster. Try a search for "hydrogenated" and you'll turn up lots more info here. Good luck.