PDA

View Full Version : Where to learn machine tools

Dframe
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Always had in interest in learning how to machine things. I've looked at lathes and the like but there are no colleges or trade schools that I'm aware of in my area. What suggestions do you guys have regarding where I can learn the how-tos

Casting Timmy
09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
There's a logan lathe group on yahoo you can join for free. Just look in hte files section and you can down load a couple of manuals on how to run a lathe. A lot of it is useful in principal for any lathe that you will run, just slightly different ways to turn on and change gears on all the lathes out there.

Another place I would recommend is watching youtube videos. I believe mrpete222 has some good ones.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/loganlathe/files/

My advice is to always think through what you're going to do before doing it. Then while doing it listen to the lathe and see how the chips are coming off. Chips coming off and changing colors is okay, but if they come off already changed in color you;re heating your bit up. Take small cuts and use a cutting fluid, I usually brush a light film of tapping fluid on then cut. The more rigid your set up the better your results will be. Don't be discouraged when you break or ruin a tool, learn from your mistake.

elk hunter
09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Dframe,

Try asking on the "Home Shop Machinist group" if there is anyone in your area that you can go to for help. Next try purchasing a college level text book on the subject. Look at "Bookfinder4u" for something on machine work. Books on the subject come up on E-Bay all the time.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/home

http://www.bookfinder4u.com/

Good luck.

82nd airborne
09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
AGI has machinist videos that they claim are pretty good. I wont endorse them however, as I have never veiwed them.

GeneT
09-14-2010, 10:19 AM
The AGI videos are pretty good. The two books by Moltrecht are excellent, there are some other pretty good books out there too, BUT...

In the end, whether you have a live instructor, a video, or a book, it's time on the machine that develops your skill. Get a machine (or access to one), get some reference, and start playing, it'll come.

GsT

Ernest
09-16-2010, 10:40 PM
I have found this to be useful

[/URL]

[url]http://techtv.mit.edu/search?q=machine+shop&x=0&y=0 (http://techtv.mit.edu/search?q=machine+shop&x=0&y=0)

bob208
09-17-2010, 06:34 AM
get acopy of southbend lathe book how to run a lathe.

jmh54738
09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Dframe,
Lindsay Publications, www.lindsaybks.com offers the South Bend lathe book among other technical publications. I especially like "Advanced Machine Work", which details the individual operations as a piece is being made. Most of these books are republished, out of copyright books from the 1920-1940s. They teach the basics including tool grinding, which you need to know anyway. John

white eagle
09-17-2010, 12:09 PM
tool trades at the tech college
would be a sure bet

hickstick_10
09-17-2010, 03:25 PM
get a part time job at a machine shop.

even if you do nothing but sweep floor and saw material what you see there would be 10 times better then any video or book.

Dale53
09-17-2010, 05:56 PM
One of the best ways to learn after you are out of school is to check out your local vocational school Night School. Often there are great programs there. That's how I learned brazing and welding.

Dale53

bearcove
09-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Wish they had night classes. Only m-f 9-5 here.

Dale53
09-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Wish they had night classes. Only m-f 9-5 here.

That is a down right shame.

We have one of the largest vocational schools in the country. They offer night classes in a variety of courses. They exhibit real community concerns (that may be why they are such a successful operation). They are a county school but many communities in the county send students there. They even have a police cadet program for all new aspiring policemen in the area and offer firearms training (have a great 25 yard indoor range). My personal pistolsmith is the Shooting Instructor.

Dale53

bearcove
09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Sure is. I'd love to take classes so I'd have the opotunity to ask all those stupid questions. I KNOW I'm doing somethings the hard way.

JIMinPHX
09-20-2010, 09:44 PM

I think that is the best first step. That book is all meat & no filler. I think that it is even back in print again now.

After that, try to find an old timer to show some hands on stuff. The old timers are usually pretty proud of their skills & knowledge. They are often happy to find someone interested in the subject that they can show off to.

Personally, I learned by getting a job as low man on the totem pole at a small machine shop that was run by an ME that was formally from Curtis Aviation (before Curtis Wright). Unless you plan on making a career of running machine tools, that's probably not the most effective use of your time.

hickstick_10
09-20-2010, 11:40 PM
"How to run a lathe" is garbage. A first year machinist apprentice has no use for that old rag. Its useful to read on the john about 5 minutes before you unpack your lathe. Your users manual to a belt sander gives an equal amount of useful information and thats what "How to Run a lathe" basically is. Not alot of info on setups.

There is a superior product luckily. Its called "Advanced Machine Work" its not really advanced, and its very clearly written.

Heres a free E book version (takes a while to load)
http://www.metalwebnews.org/ftp/advanced-machine-work.pdf

Now the hardcover version of this book is about 40 bucks from Lindsay Publications, its worth every penny. Lots of diagrams, sequences of machining (very important) and a bunch of other neat things.

Alright I said my piece, I'l duck and cover to avoid the hail of rocks that are sure to come now that I bad talked that useless book.:brokenima

bearcove
09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Duck! Just kidding, thanks for the link.

dahermit
10-01-2010, 09:13 AM
In Michigan we have a lot of Community Colleges. That is where I started my career. After two years I transfered to Ferris State University and ended up as a High School Machine Shop teacher.
If you have a Community College near by, find out what they offer.

Flash
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Ditto. Southbend wrote the book on small lathes, no pun intended. I learned back in highschool and imediately afterwards, started working in industry with the freedom of hanging in the machine shop during break.

SSBN620
10-18-2010, 10:01 AM
If your local Comm Col doesn't have mach tech, check the adult enrichment section of the local high school night classes.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I have Moltrechts books, among others, also have 1942 edition of "How to run a lathe from South Bend. It is not garbage. It will teach you how to do all the basic operations even though it is out-dated. I retired running a 25" X 100" gap bed engine lathe, 20" shaper, and old Brown & Sharpe vertical mill.

Blacksmith
10-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Just where are you located? What City?
There is a resource in Ill. called Central Illinois Adult Education Service Center here is a link showing the programs they serve:
http://www.cait.org/ciaesc/about/serve.jsp

The first program shown is Black Hawk College Adult Education and they teach courses in machining. If you look at their programs look under their Manufacturing Processes Certificate or the Engineering Technology Program. Here is a list of courses:
http://www.bhc.edu/index.aspx?NID=1139

The Carl Sandburg College Adult Learning Center offers welding and has a picture of a CNC lathe on one page no current machining classes listed..

The Danville Area Community College Adult Education has machining courses.

You can check the rest of them by putting the name of the program in Google then go to their web site and look at the programs listed. Machining courses will most likely be listed under Manufacturing, Engineering, or Industrial programs.

If you need help finding others PM me.

Blacksmith