PDA

View Full Version : Rem. m-14

mgrek
09-13-2010, 06:30 PM
I own a Remington M-14 in a .30 Rem caliber. It will not feed shells into the chamber. The shells remain at the bottom of the rifle and seem to be jammed against each other. The little contraption that pushes the shells up into the chamber seems to work, but the bullet of the shell remains stuck against the second shell. Has anyone got any ideas about how I could correct this problem?

ilcop22
09-13-2010, 08:03 PM
A few things are possible here:

1. The follower in the magazine or the magazine spring are damaged or out of spec. Try replacing the entire magazine with a new one.
2. The rounds you are using are too long. Are you using commercial ammunition? Check the overall length of the round (from the base of the case to the tip of the bullet) and post that here.
3. Fouling in the magazine, magazine well, on the rounds or in the chamber is preventing proper feed.
4. The extractor is damaged or out of spec and not properly catching the rim of the shell case, interrupting feeding.

mgrek
09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I am using my own reloads since factory ammo is not available around here. The cases are new r-p cases and the overall length of the shells is 2.457 in. I have an old factory shell and I reloaded the new ones to that length. When I load a shell by hand into the chamber, the extractor pulls the shell out very well.

elk hunter
09-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Sounds like the cartridge cut-off is letting the second round out of the tube and it's catching the lifter mechanism and preventing lifter/elevator from rising up to feed the first round.

The M-14 has a reputation for very slick feeding. I've never had even a hint of a problem with mine. Sounds like it needs a trip to the gun doctor.

enfield
09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure what the part is called but there should be a little metal bar with a rounded lump on it under that tin piece between the barrel and mag tube where they meet at the receiver. Take the little screw out and remove the tin part and it should be in that hole. I just had one apart yesterday and when I tried to cycle a round it did what yours was doing because I forgot to install it.

mgrek
09-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I think you might be onto something, enfield. I removed the little screw and slid the tin cover forward and discovered a machined hole in the receiver. I think that is where the piece you are talking about must go---but there is nothing in that hole. I think somebody might have been into this rifle and left out that piece. I wonder what that piece is called. I don't have an exploded view of the rifle or I would be able to identify it from a diagram. Thanks for your input into my rifle woes.

scrapcan
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I think what you are refering to is what elk hunter relayed. I think it is called the cartridge stop. But an exploded view or schematic would be the best bet.

I bet someone at the remington society could help

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/

You might also be able to get a manual reprint from remington.

ilcop22
09-15-2010, 02:03 AM
Also check the OAL length as suggested earlier. If you're handloading, the load specs may be causing feed problems. This can happen if the boolit is seated too deep or not deep enough.

enfield
09-15-2010, 06:28 AM
I went to numrich site, could not find an exploded view. the slide/magazine has a slot cut in it that the piece goes in as well as the round bit in the reciever, the slide has to be halfway between open and closed to get that part in or out because of the slot it lays in. if that makes sense. Numrich parts list shows the tin part as a "action bar cover" so I think the part is the "action bar" ? but it also shows action bar spring and pin wich there was nothing like that in mine. but it seems to work fine. hope that helps.