PDA

View Full Version : LEE Karabiner in 88 Comish sporter

JKH
09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Hey Guy's,

Need some input here and help fom some RKI's :veryconfu

I am working up loads for an 88 Comission sporter of my sons, sweet old rifle with octagon barrel some engraving and color case hardeneing and deserving of being well fed :wink:

I have shot paper patched .308 jacketed bullets in it as well as 185grn Rem
.323 bullets that I swagged to .318, I was able to get decent groups that were shooting fairly close to POA.

On Saturday I tried some 170grn .32 flat point semi-spitzers sized from .321 to .318 with a mild load of H4895, these were shooting about 2.5 feet high :shock: So I guess if my son wants to use these bullets for deer I will have to do something with the sights (caterpillar front ramp milled into barrel with dovetailed sight, rear is a 2 blade express type) to bring POI down.

The second load was with the LEE Karabiner (233grns cast, checked and lubed) that I sized to .321 over 14grs Unique. The nose on this boolit is .321 as cast, and when we tried these loads they would not chamber as the throat I now know is right at .318, as is the groove diameter of the barrel.

So this is what I came up with on Sundy; I sized new Karabiner's to .321 overall, then sized the nose and first band to .318, then I made a dummy round with one seated to 3.0" OAL, it chamberd perfectly without any rifling marks and just slight rub marks on the nose from the throat (no dimensional changes to nose).

I am good to go I believe with the Boolit now, but need a load that I hope will duplicate the original 230grn jacketed round nose loads of the original .318 8x57mm issue cartridge, any suggestions? I would prefer a load that uses 2400, Unique or RedDot but have lots of WC846(some T), AA2230C, a bunch of IMR's and H4895.

I hope to get this Karabiner boolit to shoot to POA of the orginal factory reguated sights, and have a load that will take Norh East Whitetail deer out to 150 yards or so. Any suggestions for loads (both the Karabiner and the 170grn jacketed) will be greatly appreciated :drinks:

This rifle is a classic beauty with the smoothest trigger pull I have seen on an atique rifle with the exception of my 1943 vintage Mauser K98k-ZF41 sniper, I just need to buy a new stock for it that replicates the original to replace the shlocky one I fit to it years ago (bought it as a barrled action for $35 and found a Fajen semi-inletted stock in marble cake claro walnut that was made for an Italian Carcano for $15 [smilie=1: The action style and dimension are amazingly close so it was not too difficult to make the stock work, its just to modern in styling for a 100+ year old octagon barreled rifle :oops:)

Thanks!

Jeff (JKH)

Dutch4122
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
SwedeNelson has some load data on his website where he also sells parts for the GEW 88 Commission rifle.

I believe he also has reproductions of the original stocks.

You can find a link to his site on his page in the members list.

Hope this helps,

JKH
09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey Dutch,

Thanks for the info, been t the Swede"s before, his stocks are very nicebut I found a place that makes repro's of the original sporter stock for under $150

I might try his load data but there is a big diference in boolit weight.

Jeff