PDA

View Full Version : Hello all! New to casting, have some questions

creature
09-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I've been reloading for years and have decided to start casting my own lead. I was just pointed to this site and have been reading a lot the past couple days.

I haven't bought any equipment yet but am looking at the Lyman Master Casting Kit. Does anyone have experience with this equipment? Is there a better route to go for a beginner?

I'm not trying to spend more than $400 and will probably be casting just for my self. I don't need to turn out 100,000 a year, maybe like 10,000 max.

Any general information as far as getting things setup would be great. I looked for a "beginners guide" stickied at the top and didn't see one. Sorry if I missed it, wanted to introduce myself anyway.

jmsj
09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
creature,
Welcome to the site.
I believe that is a ladle pouring kit. If you are going the ladle pouring route, I think that would be a good start.
If you are going to use scrap lead or used wheel wheights, you might want to look at getting or making a smelting set up. If you are going to buy your lead/lead alloys new you could just use the pot in the kit.
Read the stickies and use the search function, there is lots of info here. The guys around here are pretty great about helping a guy out.
The www.lasc.us site has lots of useful information also.
Again welcome to our hobby(addiction), jmsj

09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Welcome, Creature.
The Lyman kit is a steal, and will do an excellent job of getting you started. I bought one, after determining that I didn't want to tumble or pan lube, then bought a used Lee pot and sold the Lyman. Haven't used the gas check seater, as that is done by hand. The ingot mould is kept plenty busy, though the dipper has long been idle.

It looks like the latest kits don't include a copy of the Cast Bullet Handbook, so you will have to buy one seperately. The 3rd edition is readily available, and according to the latest Lyman information, the 4th edition will be available late Fall.

The kit will serve you well.

9.3X62AL
09-13-2010, 02:20 PM
There are A LOT of us who still dipper-cast, even after getting a nice bottom-pour furnace. Why? Superior results, esp. with larger/heavier boolits. I have fewer rejects with my 45-70 and Minie boolits using the dipper.

Welcome to the board, and to the addiction that follows in close pursuit.

mooman76
09-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Where about's are you located? Maybe someone is close that can show you their setup to help you out. I started on a coleman stove with a cast iron pot.

creature
09-14-2010, 12:38 AM
I am in Topeka, KS. I was talking to a my class III dealer/gunsmith friend the other day and he said he knows a local guy who is "in the know." I might give him a call and pick his brain, maybe see if he has some older equipment for sale I could use.

I wonder if I could just get this kit and then get a cheap pot for smelting? I'd like to be able to use wheel weights and other random lead sources. I guess I could just use a cheapo hot plate and a cast iron pot.

fryboy
09-14-2010, 12:42 AM
umm i bought one ..mainly for the add on heater feature of the 4500 and the dipper ok ok i also used the ingot mold , the bottom pour furnaces for me rock , in part it really depends upon what u want to cast and how and ditto for lubing/sizing , the cheapest way i know is a lee pot , a 2 cavity mold and a push thru sizer ( all for under $100 ) and yup it pays to shop around , if for rifle add a used lubrasizer and die for $50 - 120 + and scratch the 12-15 bux for the push thru die and get a few stix of lube instead , the kit does have the basics tho and is a good foundation , if i had to do it over .....eh i'd of still done it , btw ? welcome to the forum !

fryboy
09-14-2010, 12:50 AM
u posted as i was replying ..lolz ( doesnt help that i'm a slow typer ) answer to ur last question , i'd figure on a cheap pot or something for smelting anyways , if ur industrious u could make one or if ur frugal like me i use a coffee can (free)for smelting and save the cheap pan for alloying ,( a harbor freight dutch oven works great for both tho !!! ) and reserve the the casting pot for casting only , one can sometimes scrounge a used turkey fryer or similar to use as well

mdi
09-14-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_3-1_Tools.htm
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

+ Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook

Cowboy T
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I am in Topeka, KS.

Umm...don't you mean "Google, KS"? :mrgreen:

I wonder if I could just get this kit and then get a cheap pot for smelting? I'd like to be able to use wheel weights and other random lead sources. I guess I could just use a cheapo hot plate and a cast iron pot.

A cast iron Dutch Oven is a very good thing for melting down and cleaning WW. Mine is a 5 qt model from Wal-Mart, but you can find 'em at garage sales for way less. To heat the alloy, I use a turkey fryer with one of those Rhino propane tanks. I've already been through two tankfuls. :-)

You'll get all sorts of advice on types of moulds, furnaces, etc. I happen to use the Lee gear because it's affordable on my poor budget and does a good job. Others prefer Lyman or RCBS gear, which is also good. Ford/Chevy/Dodge, you know.

What type/style of boolit are you going to be shooting? And what sort of firearm are you going to be shooting them out of? This'll help us advise you.

RKJ
09-15-2010, 07:09 AM
I just got started and bought the Lyman kit, I haven't used the furnace, ingot molds or ladle as I bought a Lee bottom pour 20 lb'er. I figured that for the price of the kit I could sell those items not needed and save money on the 4500. It gave me everything needed and then some.
I went to the local charity stores and got cheap Stainless Steel pots for smelting ($3.00 - $5.00) and to Walgreens for a 1000W hot plate for $10.00 (that I found out about here, Thank You, Guys!) It doesn't melt at a super fast rate but if I put some candle wax in then it does just fine. I've got around the $$ amount in my setup that you want to spend and am casting for .45, 44, 9mm, and soon .380. I've learned everything I know from the guys here and have never felt that I asked a stupid question or was not welcome. If you can wait, Midway www.midwayusa.com/ has the kits and a lot of casting things on sale quite often. I got the casting kit, furnace and some Lee and Lyman moulds on sale, (saving about $50.00). Good Luck and have fun, I sure enjoy it.

mdi
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
This is not aimed at the OP.

I'm wondering if super fast answers to question aren't doing us a disservice? What about common sense? Sounds kinda like some folks (not the OP) want you to take them by the hand, show them exactly what "kit" to buy, at exactly what store, exactly when it's on sale. Mebbe they want someone to blame if all doesn't go right, or they just don't want to think. Same goes for alloy (and molds, lubes, et al.).

I know no one wants to waste money on a hobby that may not work for them, but a "kit" with everything possible some salesman could think of for turning WW into bullets isn't a huge help here;a lot of stuff you may never use. When plumbers used lead, they didn't go for the "Professional Plumber's, Union Member Only" melting pot exclusively. I'm sure Coleman's stoves worked quite well.

Lead is a metal that melts around 600 - 800 degrees, so anything that will maintain that temp will melt lead. If it's a 1,000 lb. capicity forge or a tin can, melted lead is melted lead. (I've been casting for a while, but I'm not going into that "well, way back then me 'n Daniel jes dug a hole in the sand and poured hot lead, melted next to the coffee. Shot .5 MIA all day with our 974 gr buffalo blasters"). As long as the crucible (pot) melts at a higher temp than lead and will not crack, try it. For smelting, a soup ladle just may do the trick; as long as it melts at a higher temp than lead and is strong enough to hold 5 lbs. (now everybody's gotta have at least 2 pots for smelting lead, and I know the reasons...). Just because the equipment has a name on the side like RCBS, Lee, Lyman, etc. doesn't make it the absolute perfect item for that use. (My absolute best "ingot mold" has "Mirror" on the bottom, and I've got a great skimmer that says "US Navy"). And some of my most cherished equipment is home made! Just use common sense. A dedicated "kit" is not the only way to get started casting! Nor is an RCBS or Lee the only way to melt bullet alloy. Just use common sense.

My rant is almost over.

Anybody that can use hand tools, can cast bullets. Anybody that can read, can cast bullets. Get the books; Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide. Get some catalogs; Natchez, Midsouth, Midway, Graf & Sons, etc. Read 'em. Then you can figger out what is best for your casting needs (I can guarntee my needs will be different from yours).

And no, I'm not against new caster's questions! I'm not zipper-lipped and I will share what I know. Don't limit yourself to only using "bullet casting tools" to make bullets. You'll miss out on a lot of learning and fun...

OK fellas, now I'll go hide and let the bombs fall...:brokenima

Doby45
09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
You ain't gotta hide, MDI. You were/are right on. Spoken for truth!

GP100man
09-16-2010, 11:56 PM
I smelt in a recycled paulrevere stainless steel pot , crude seems to not stik as bad as in the dutch ovens .Ladled from that same pot into a lee 2 holer for starters.

Pour into angle iron ingots , then cast from a 10# lee ,but go ahead & get the 20 (you mite get frustrated at first but as ya come up the curve you`ll be hooked)

I use 1&2 cavity lee & older lyman ,ideal molds. The 2 hole lees are fairly easy to get started on.

I tumble lubed for a spell but prefer to sizelube (2 450s full of lars carnauba red lube) !!!

I enjoy castin my own boolits , I look at it as another aspect of the shooting sport. It also gives me independence of bullets made for the masses!!

Enjoy , Be Safe !!