PDA

View Full Version : A question for you CCW holders

Trey45
09-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Have you ever come to the aid of another person where having your CCW was needed? I guess the same could be asked of off duty police as well, where having a CCW was beneficial in rendering aid to someone who was in trouble, ie, preventing an attack, robbery, rape, abuse, theft, etc.

How about having to use your CCW sidearm to protect yourself?

I guess I'm just curious about the real world application of CCW holders and the prevention of harm to self and others. What's your story?

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
I have never used it in either case, but the lawyers will tell you to VERY carefully in come to the aid of someone you don't know . . . it can turn on you when the boyfriend is dead, and the girlfriend is mad . . .

I carry, and hope that I never have to use it, but if I need it, I have options . . .

I only intend to protect myself and those with me, I'd be VERY hard pressed to play hero for the whole rest of the world!.

missionary5155
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Good morning
Here in Peru Every handgun comes with a CC liscense. The thinking is who would want a handgun if not to protect themselves..
So far I have not needed to draw my revolvers for Personal or others in need. BUT I do not expose myself to the numerous places many people go to and end up in problems.
Would I help someone in need... YES.. but alot depends on alot.

gray wolf
09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't think a pole type question of this nature is as important as
Knowing the law--keeping a level head-- and always be aware of your skill level.
Don't Cowboy up and save the hero stuff.
Just my .02 cents

Sam

Trey45
09-13-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't think a pole type question of this nature is as important as
Knowing the law--keeping a level head-- and always be aware of your skill level.
Don't Cowboy up and save the hero stuff.
Just my .02 cents

Sam

And I appreciate your .02 cents, what I'm attempting to find out is stated in my original post. According to statistics, legally armed Americans use firearms 2.5 million times a year to prevent violent crime. I personally don't know anyone who has, nor have I heard from others that they know anyone who has, I am attempting to find out if any one of the 15 thousand plus members of this forum have.

FISH4BUGS
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Have you ever come to the aid of another person where having your CCW was needed? I guess the same could be asked of off duty police as well, where having a CCW was beneficial in rendering aid to someone who was in trouble, ie, preventing an attack, robbery, rape, abuse, theft, etc.

I guess I'm just curious about the real world application of CCW holders and the prevention of harm to self and others. What's your story?

I have had a CCW in a number of New England States for over 35 years now. Only had to draw once and that was a guy with a knife that we were evicting for non payment of rent. (I managed some pretty sleazy apartments while in college - great job - collect rents for 10 hours a week and make $150 cash a week while in college). He said "let me me get some money from the kitchen" and I just KNEW something wasn't right.
Needless to say it kept me very calm to know that I had a Colt Commander 45 in my hand when he returned. I am absolutely convinced that I would have shot him if he came one step closer with a knife in his hand. It was only AFTER the incident did I get scared and upset.
The funny part was when I went to the police to report this guy their reaction was "....why the hell didn't you shoot him?' Apparently he was rather well known to the police.
I have received a lot of training in private shooting classes and the ONE thing that is stressed more than anything is NEVER bring out the gun unless you are ready to shoot. Retreat is a better option. DON'T be a hero, PARTICULARLY with a stranger, because your life will be made a living hell.
There were many scenarios discussed - one of the lecturers was a lawyer - robberies, assaults on another person, domestic abuse, etc. As long as no one has fired a shot, or no one has been stabbed or beaten with a baseball bat, the gun stays holstered. Better to do nothing and no one gets hurt than raise the stakes by bringing out a gun. Personally I think I would find it hard to turn away when one of my fellow human beings is being beaten to death. I have never been presented with that scenario. Hopefully, just the SHOWING of a handgun would defuse any situation, but many times I think not. It just raises the stakes to another very dangerous level.
First, if you shoot you will be thoroughly investigated by the police. You may or may not be charged. You then will have big time legal bills. YOUR life will be a living hell until all is settled. When you are found innocent, or it is a good shoot and charges are not brought, THEN you will be sued by the "victim's" family.
It is better to walk away and let someone beat the hell out of their wife, or something like that. It sucks to be them.
ONLY use the gun if you or your loved one's life is endangered. DON'T do it for a stranger. Period.
End of lecture.

Hardcast416taylor
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
A friend that I taught to shoot and reload ammo and acquire his CCW here in Mich. moved to Fla. He got certified to teach CCW classes. A student of his intervened on a attempted purse snatching at a market. The perp turned on the good samaratin pointing a pistol at him. The good guy pulled his CCW pistol and the bad guy fired first, witness reported, and the fight started. The bad guy fired 4 shots to only 2 shots fired by the good guy. The good guy came out as the first place winner, the bad guy died enroute to the hospital. Both shots fired by the good guy were center chest hits. No charges were filed against him for assisting the lady being robbed. My friend said I was to be praised for teaching him the ropes on gun handling that he now passes on to his students.Robert

BD
09-13-2010, 05:24 PM
I have intervened in two domestic disputes in which a husband was severely beating his wife, and one break in to my house. All three times I had a shotgun handy, all three times I had to fire a shot to convince the bad guy I meant what I said.

One of the beatings ended with no arrest, and resulted in some facial reconstructive surgery and subsequent divorce. One of the beatings ended in an arrest, resulting in a restraining order and subsequent murder of the women by her husband a month later when she let him back in the house.

The robbery of my house did not turn out as the three mopes had planned. I let them leave, and they were not caught. Police showed up two hours later and were not inclined to even take a report as nothing was stolen and no one was hurt.

None of these incidents were at all pleasant. None of them resulted in either trouble, or thanks, to me. I have also de-escalated several incidents by appearing with a shotgun at the ready, as by that time my neighbors knew what to expect, and they stepped down accordingly.

I have intervened in a dozen or so situations in which no display of a weapon was needed to resolve the situation. I get in the middle of something at work about once a year, and I've had three guys pulled off the job by the police for crimes committed elsewhere over the years.

I carry a concealed weapon because I know that it is only luck preventing any of us from bumping into someone willing to do us harm at any time, in any place. And, there are many places where bringing a shotgun would not go over well. I have been very lucky several times and have learned not to push my luck. But still I am unable to stand by and watch certain behaviors without stepping in. I know personally two people who have shot someone in self defense, and three people who have been shot by criminals, one who died on the scene. I know that it can happen.

I realize that my experiences in life are not "the norm" for most folks, but they have formed the way I think, and act, and as a result I find myself pretty unreceptive to arguments from folks who feel otherwise

BD

Johnch
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I drew but never pulled the trigger

When a Hispanic Gang Banger type blocked our way and pulled a ball bat out and ask for cash , keys and phones

I not so calmly ask my date to cover her ears , telling her the gunshot would be loud

He looked at me , then the pistol and turned tail

We called the police and was told to wait , but as it wasn't a emergncy
It would be between 45 min and a hour before a officer would be avaible to take a report

So we left

I am glad I didn't have to shoot him
But I am sure glad I was carrying

John

James Wisner
09-13-2010, 07:33 PM
The ONLY two times I had to draw my handgun.

The first time it was a Sow Black bear and a cub, and the second time it was a Cow elk and a calf. Never had to shoot but was finally able to retreat from them.

I have carried concealed a lot in the past 30 years, and have been in a few strange spots, but never had to pull on a person as of yet.

But as spoken above, when you pull it on a person, you are to the point of shooting. you need to have some training and have the mind set of what will happen after you pull the handgun.

James Wisner

AlaskaMike
09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
The only time I ever drew was when my wife I were on a walk in the neighborhood with my wife pushing our 1 year old in a stroller, and we were charged by an angry rottweiler. Thankfully the dog stopped about 15 feet short of us and I didn't shoot. It was close though.

I haven't had to draw on another person yet though, thankfully.

DLCTEX
09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I intervened in a burglary of a neighbor's house and assisted the Sheriff's Dept. in arresting the perps by blocking their escape with my truck and pointing my shotgun at the driver's face. one perp bolted but was chased down by another officer arriving on the scene. These were suspect in over 159 burglaries in a three county area. My son had stayed home sick from school and called me at work to report the break in to me. I called 911 and hurried home to get my gun. This was not a concealed carry incident, but would have gone down quicker if I had been carrying. Now I don't have to go home to get a gun. My house has been robbed three times, so if I come home to find a burglary in progress I don't have to go borrow a neighbor's gun.

WildmanJack
09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Back in 1969 or 70 I was traveling down a major two lane highway, I saw a vehicle attempting to make a left turn in front of me so I "kindly" stopped and allowed him to cross mylan e and make his turn. As he turned the passenger stuck a revolver out the window of the car and shot out the windshield of my 1964 Chevy Im pala. Well A: I was an off duty LEO so I knew I would take action. B: I was really "Pissed" that the guy had blown holes in the window of my car. So I took after him, I was absolutely shocked to see him pull over a few blocks down the road. I pulled up behind him and with my gun drawn told him to throw his weapon out the window and both exit from the drivers side or I would have no second thoughts about putting a bullet in the back of either of their heads. They did as they were told. To make a long story short, they had just burglarized a federal warehouse and had a whole car load of stuff. Dumb jerks probably would have gotten away with it too.. OH well... Sure made my day. Plus the Dept. paid to have the windshield replaced...

Jack
:bigsmyl2:

KevMT
09-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I have also de-escalated several incidents by appearing with a shotgun at the ready, as by that time my neighbors knew what to expect, and they stepped down accordingly.

BD

Why BD ....you madcap! Where you goin with that shotgun?!:p

Seriously though I respect your desire to intervene and stop violence on others knowing that it may bring trouble on yourself! It's the kind of attitude that use to be common in this country.

Kev

82nd airborne
09-13-2010, 08:19 PM
While blocked in at a stop light on bragg bulevard in fayettevill, nc, some gangster wannabees in a 70's ltd or some such car with spinners in the lane next to us hung a snub nose out the window. They then proceded to tell the redneck crackers in the 4x4 what they would do to us, with ample profanities. When the 10.5" barreled ar SBR came out the window of the truck, the made the rational decision to take to the grass median for a getaway. The car didnt make it too far in the wet grass. We drove by grinning. Gotta love the situations a NOBAMA sticker could get you into in that dump of a town.

castalott
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Sorry for slight thread drift but.....

G Gordon Liddy tells the story of his young wife home alone when he was in prison....

It was a hot summer evening in D.C and the wife and kids were in the living room with a locked screen door to the outside. A long knife comes thru the screen and slits down to the lock. A hand unlocks the door and a man steps in.

The wife stands up with all the little kids with their arms wrapped around her legs. She says "LEAVE NOW!"

The man just smiles....She picks up a loaded .357 revolver and says ///"Leave now!" again...the man just smiles and steps forward....

She cocks the pistol with obvious ability and says.....

"Watch kids!...Mommy is going to make the bad man's head explode!"

The man drops his knife ( and his urine) and leaves....

This is how I remember it.....from the radio...

Linstrum
09-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Last year (2009) on July 5, I was sitting in my 3-ton dump truck eating an ice cream cone in the parking lot of a small town supermarket in a location where carrying a gun on the front seat of your vehicle in plain sight is legal. It was just after sunset on a heavily overcast evening and pretty dark out when a slightly intoxicated young adult male resident of a nearby Indian reservation suddenly appeared and asked me for $5. What happened after that I'm not too sure, but as best as I can figure this is what probably happened: When I POLITELY told him I was sorry and didn't have any money for him he grabbed my left arm through my open window yelling at me to give him some money. While starting the engine I tried pulling away from him and that pulled his head part way through the window and when he hung on I hit him as hard as I could across his face with the underside of my Walther P-1 barrel so he'd have to let go of my arm. I probably didn't hit him all that hard because I couldn't get a good swing inside the truck cab, but it was enough and either he fell or it knocked him off the top step to the driver's door and about 3 feet down onto the asphalt. He was just getting up as I was driving out of the parking lot onto the highway, and I was shaking so hard I had a hard time driving away safely. It all happened in about ten seconds, which was a LONG time. I had just done some shooting shortly before all this came down and the clip in my gun was empty, which goes to show that you should never wait to reload no matter what, these things happen suddenly out of nowhere when you just don't expect it. After shooting I always reload my gun now.

rl839

Edubya
09-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I had a fella approach me speaking very rapidly and acting threatening across a small parking lot. I dropped what I had and lifted my shirt, grabbed the grip and watched as he looked down and stopped in his footsteps. Did I prevent an attack? We'll never know. I think that it was a good thing that he stopped because my blood pressure was up after seeing his aggressive approach and his un-intelligible speaking.

I believe that a lot of attacks are dissuaded from the simple mental state of alertness and confidence that one exudes when carrying that comforter. You don't normally see an attack on a healthy animal in the wild except in gang related attacks by the predators. This probably holds true for the human race too.

EW

45nut
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
it is only luck preventing any of us from bumping into someone willing to do us harm at any time, in any place.

"There but for the Grace of God go I"

Blammer
09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I teach CCW classes.

Part of the information we give to our students is a "test" of sorts, (actually it's just a story scenario to cause them to think).

You see two people fighting in a parking lot. One seems to get the upper hand and is winning the fight. A weapon is produced by the one winning and is employed. What do you do?

What if the Losing person is a felon who initiated the attack and you just shot the "victim''?

What if the losing party suddenly draws a gun, shoots the winning person and it turns out he was the instagator in the attack?

bottom line, are you willing to go to JAIL for the rest of your life to defend a stranger in fight you stopped?

for me, it'd only be a blood relative that I KNEW and trusted.

82nd airborne
09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
for me, it'd only be a blood relative that I KNEW and trusted.

or rape in progress....

Ohio Rusty
09-14-2010, 07:08 PM
This is a question that I have seen arguments on both sides of the fence. In Ohio ..... we have to be careful about being a good samaritan, and you don't always know who was the good guy and who was the bad. We can get in some big trouble if we make a bad decision.

My decision about involvement is for me personally, and for no one else. That decision is to not get involved, but be a good witness when I call or talk to the police. I am not responsible for the safety of a stores money or goods. I am not anyones store security. It is not my responsibility to protect a stores money, beer, cigarettes or anything else they have for sale. If there is something going down, it is in my best interest to move away from the scene, yet make a mental note for the police as a witness, and be quick on the 911 buttons.

Where this all changes is if my life becomes in mortal danger or I or my family members are at risk of serious physical harm. I will then immediately protect myself and my family with as much deadly force as I can muster until the threat is stopped. I will take the risk of trying to outdraw and outshoot someone else quicker than they can pull the trigger. I have the advantage of surprise, speed and hopefully, they are a lousy shot. I refuse to be walked to a back room in a store, and executed in the back of the head complying with the wants of a criminal.

I refuse for anyone to take my wife hostage, and rape and kill her. I could not look myself in the mirror knowing I could have prevented her harm and I did nothing. I refuse to let any criminal or pervert kidnap my grandson and rape and kill him. I would walk thru the gates of hell headfirst to protect him at any cost.

Lastly ..... Here in Ohio, we are not allowed at any time to use deadly force to protect property. Anything in an unattached garage is considered property. You ae in bed and someone outside is trying to steal your car, you cannot shoot and kill him because your car would only be considered property because you are not in it. The law here protects you and your loved ones bodily, but property is just considered 'stuff' in the eyes of the court.

Ohio Rusty ><>

DLCTEX
09-15-2010, 12:19 AM
After concealed carry is enacted in states, crime rates go down. How many crimes do we prevent just because we carry? Our carrying benefits everyone.

MtGun44
09-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Two actual cases of intervention by a third party CCW civilian that I know of.

1- Man runs screaming at a food service counter in a large store with a butcher knife
in hand making verbal threats to a female employee in uniform behind the counter. As
he finishes climbing over the counter and is about to stab the female, CCW person
verbally challenges and then shoots the perp.

2 - Uniformed police officer and a very large man are fighing, and the officer is losing.
The large man is sitting on top of the semiconcious officer and is beating his head against
the paverment - killing him. Large man is shot several times in the body by a CCW civilian
with no effect. Finally he is stopped by a head shot.

Pretty clear, probably unusually clear. Given the right situation, I would defend another,
but this is NOT a trivial decision and things must be very clear.

Cops shoot the wrong person MUCH more often than civilians because they arrive on the
scene and have to try to figure out who the bad guy is. Most civilian cases are self
defense, so it is clear who is the bad guy.

Bill

iron mule
09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
here is one i was involved with
last year about 2 weeks before Christmas i was in the living room watch the tube , fox news,
when i heard a vehicle pull up in back of the house about 830 pm
thinking it was one of my parents on their gator coming to get me to help with something at their house about 1/2 mile from mine i got up and started to the back door
before i had made a couple steps in that direction some one was pounding on the door and i assumed that something was bad wrong for my parents both are in their mid 70s
I rushed to the door upon opening it there was a young punk about 5 feet from the door their car was parked 10 feet from the door and his buddy was standing on the passenger side door open opposite from my position with his arm and hand in the vehicle
the drive ends about 150 feet from my back door
the one by my back door states to me "hey bubba we come to kick your a--"
i have never seen them before and they did not come in the drive but off the road around the front of the house to the back
i calmly told this person , lack of a better word, that if they wanted to kick my a-- it was okk and we could commence wen they were ready but seeing that there were 2 of them and 1 of me i was going to let Sam help me it that was ok with them
evidently the punk did not know who SAM was and told me i could get who i wanted
i informed him Sam was here all ready and produced my 1911 45acp
his feet barely touched the ground getting back into the car they near about hit an oak tree about 2 feet in diam leaving the yard
called the sheriff's office tried to give the lic plate number to the dispatcher she would not take it told me to save that info for the deputy if i wanted to talk to one and report the incident
i told her yes i did and to send one out an hour later one arrived , when asked what took so long he said he could not find the address , i told him thats strange this building that we are standing in front of is on your random check list due to the fact it is a gun shop your dept is supposed to make at least 15 random checks a week here and you do not know how to get here

that is not the only time i have had to relate to some means of weapon for defense i work 25 years in law enforcement most investigations and undercover in the federal area

Recluse
09-15-2010, 08:20 PM

I had a CHL holder in another state save my butt on a lonely rural highway one night when a fugitive I'd stopped had three more bad guys in the van with him. The one time I let my guard down is the one time it nearly got me killed. A CHL holder saw my grill lights and Kojak light and saw me rolling around on the ground with four other guys, stopped, got out and fired two shots in the air and told the bad guys they were next.

I got him a nice letter of appreciation from the U.S. Attorney General and his respective state's Governor.

During my time in law enforcement, I was in favor of more citizens having guns, not less, and I couldn't have cared less if they open-carried them or concealed them. Fact is, no law-abiding citizen ever gave me cause for concern about anything, let alone being "dangerous" simply because they had a gun on them.

:coffee:

shooting on a shoestring
09-15-2010, 08:39 PM
About 1982 my newly married sister was home alone, her husband working the night at the Fire Department. She called me saying there were some guys banging on her door. Seconds latter I screeched up in her driveway and bailed out with my un-concealed Model 19. The three guys decided they had the wrong house. Oh, and, I should mention they left.

Second, about 2 a.m. I crossed a railroad track in Portales, NM (late night guitar player then) and cut a sidewall on something in the crossing. I had almost finished changing the tire when a low-rider passed by slow, u-turned and three got out to "help" me. One had a chain, one had club of some sort, the other I don't know. I stood up to meet them with a Model 60. They also left.

shooting on a shoestring
09-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Okay, slight thread drift warning, but my last one....My wife and I were jarred awake to the sound of breaking glass and wood. I bolted from bed grabbing my .357 from the nightstand determined not to have a gun fight in the bedroom where my wife was. I bolted into the hall low, hammer back ready for battle, no-one there yet, so I thought I could catch them before they made it through the kitchen. Came around the corner moving fast and low, no-one in the kitchen, sights fell on the back door...intact...they must have come in the front. I whirled around and dashed into the livingroom...door was intact...then I noticed the antique picture frame and broken glass where the &$3()!!! thing had come unglued and dropped down the wall onto our hardwood floor.

My wife came in saying she was impressed with my response. I was impressed (and relieved) that I didn't shoot a hole in either door and very cautiously let the hammer down.