PDA

View Full Version : Successful Moose Hunt

Ivantherussian03
09-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Pretty foggy today......but the sun came out and it was beautiful!!

We got the moose down at 10am. We finished cleaning up at 8pm, which has got to be a record. What a job. Freezer is full soup bones, a whole shelf worth. Moose soup is power food. We have bags of ribs, tenderloin, meat for the grinder bags. The freezer full and that is good thing. We still have hunting tags to fill. Now I need to defrost the one freezer, and reorganize it, and then restock on vaccum seal bags. It took a team of bodies to get er done.

I used this awesome rolling table that stainless steel, which Costco sells and now it is mine. It is waist high for a guy. This table made the difference. I had a mountain meat on the kitchen table, bones and all, and the this other table. As the meat was cut it was placed on the stainless steel cart, sorted into bags Everything is in freezer now, freezing nicely.

And I did not think I was going hunting today, till later; you gotta love hunting moose in the mornin. [smilie=1: I need advil now. :holysheep

chaos
09-13-2010, 01:10 AM
How much does a typical moose weigh? I know they are big, but have no experiene with anything bigger than a whitetail or large hog.

Ivantherussian03
09-13-2010, 01:45 AM
The moose rib dinner at 930 pm was absolutely delicious too. :smile:

Ivantherussian03
09-13-2010, 01:53 AM
How much does a typical moose weigh? I know they are big, but have no experiene with anything bigger than a whitetail or large hog.

I always figure them in thirds, a third bones / hide, a third guts, and third meat. I have no real idea what that the total weight would be, short weighing each meat bag. I am guessing 1200 lbs plus, for a mature bull. I seen grown men stagger under the weight of hind quarters. Monsters can be 2000 lbs, so I have read.

357maximum
09-13-2010, 02:13 AM
A big congratulations on the kill.[smilie=w: Got any details as far as load/gun, how bout pics?

MT Gianni
09-13-2010, 10:35 AM
The moose rib dinner at 930 pm was absolutely delicious too. :smile:

About 3 weeks after I shot my last Moose we walked into a restaurant. My son Matt was 4 and he said loudly enough to turn heads "Dad, do you thik they have moose ribs".
Good eating, enjoy it.

Changeling
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
About 3 weeks after I shot my last Moose we walked into a restaurant. My son Matt was 4 and he said loudly enough to turn heads "Dad, do you thik they have moose ribs".
Good eating, enjoy it.

My son did something similar, LOL. I took him to a seafood restaurant when he was about 2.5 yrs and ordered him shrimp (Steamed, didn't know he had never had them), There were two guys sitting next to our table that were about the size of mountains, man I mean these were some BIG dudes (football I would guess)! They had LOADS of crabs, soup, everything almost! They didn't talk just sat there and ate like they were starved!!

Well at that age my son was VERY vocal about everything! When they brought him his shrimp he started eating and talking to himself about how good these things were, then he looked over at these two guys and yelled out "you guys better get some of these things they're really good"! The whole place cracked up!

Without even blinking, one of them motioned to a waitress and told her to bring them two orders of what that boy was having.
When we left, I asked for the bill and the waitress said it had all been paid (those two guys), they had also left him a BIG dogie bag/take out tray of crab legs shrimp/ whatever.
To this day I have no idea who they were!

Ivantherussian03
09-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry no pics.....we left the camera at home. My buddy shot it his Mosin Nagant M38, with scout scope. He shot a load we worked up, but I have look up the data. It is 7.62 X 54 I believe, with a Nosler in the nose of the cartridge. I will look up the data.

Old Goat Keeper
09-13-2010, 10:12 PM
And they say them old warhorses are outdated and obsolete! Tell that to said moose! Congrats Ivan.

Tom

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-18-2010, 11:12 PM
How much a moose weights will depend on the sex, age AND--------------- which of the three types you get.

Mine, the smallest of the three types, taken Sept. 29th, 1995, field dressed right at 800lbs.

That was gutted, and the legs off to the knees.

As I recall we ended up with something over 400lbs of boned meat.

I ran the pick up over the scales at the local grain elevator with and without the moose in the back.

This was a big mature bull.

The wife took her once in a life time Ideeeeeeeho bull moose the next year and although it had a nicer rack it was a bit smaller.

Everything about one of these critters is big and I can hardly imagine what it must be like to take care of the REALLY big ones.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot