PDA

View Full Version : Need to make 2" cannon balls

The10mmKid
09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Folks,
Looking for input on how I can cast some 2" cannon balls.

I have a new source of WW if I can cast some cannon balls in exchange. The garage owner had someone doing this, but has become unreliable . . . . I may have my 'in'. Maybe

TIA for any help,
'da Kid

Just Duke
09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Offer to pay shipping and some jingle to the guys here and buy up all the Zinc available.

Artful
09-13-2010, 12:02 AM
http://www.lilmacmolds.com/Commercial_Cannon_Ball_Molds.html

2-1/4 diameter - double cavity $ 70.00
2 Pound ball
http://www.cannon-mania.com/molds.htm

so looks like you need a under 2 lb mold to get 2" balls.

The10mmKid
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the links. Gives me some clues.

May have to look elsewhere though.

" Cannonball molds
We have discontinued the molds do to size problems."

I'll get more details from the shop owner. If I'm buying a mold, I'll want to get the right one. I also need to find out his annual needs.

Duke,
If I'm getting the WW's for gratis, why would I buy zink? (I'll probably get the normal amount mixed in with the lead WW's anyway)

You guys think a wood mold would work? Plaster-of-Paris?

Thanks Guys,
'da Kid

Just Duke
09-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the links. Gives me some clues.

May have to look elsewhere though.

" Cannonball molds
We have discontinued the molds do to size problems."

I'll get more details from the shop owner. If I'm buying a mold, I'll want to get the right one. I also need to find out his annual needs.

Duke,
If I'm getting the WW's for gratis, why would I buy zink? (I'll probably get the normal amount mixed in with the lead WW's anyway)

You guys think a wood mold would work? Plaster-of-Paris?

Thanks Guys,
'da Kid

Well as long as you have an endless supply that cool. Several guys here use zinc for there moulds. We have a cannon forum over on my board. Not much there right now though.

seppos
09-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Do sand casting.. I used to do it while I had a small coehorn mortar. I casted some from lead and aluminium.

S

StrawHat
09-13-2010, 06:48 AM
I think Jeff Tanner may be able to help you with a 2" mold.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92388

Or maybe this?

http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=66

fishhawk
09-13-2010, 07:02 AM
well the reason you would use zinc is because the 2 inch lead ball is very close to the limit of what most BP cannon experts consider safe for preshure cannon had iron RB. a 2 inch gun is a 1 lb gun (1lb iron ball) a lead ball will be 1 1/2 lbs. thats what mine takes! steve k

Multigunner
09-13-2010, 07:47 PM
A friend once brought some scraped ball bearing over that were around two inches in diameter. He found tons of these at a ship yard where an aquaintance worked. I have no idea what they came out of but probably some ships drive shaft assembly.
He asked if I could construct a small cannon to shoot these, since the ammo supply was plentiful and basically free.

I don't know much about cannon so I suggested he look into buying a ready made replica cannon, or replica barrel that these would fit.

Ball bearings of two inch diameter should be available, though price is probably high for new ones, perhaps a few calls to metal salvage companies could turn up a supply of worn bearings that are still in good enough shape to be used as projectiles.

Just Duke
09-13-2010, 07:52 PM
well the reason you would use zinc is because the 2 inch lead ball is very close to the limit of what most bp cannon experts consider safe for preshure cannon had iron rb. Steve k

;)

savage1756
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
If none of the other fellows can help you let me know. I can get one made for you to whatever diameter you need.

missionary5155
09-14-2010, 04:39 AM
Good morning
The problem with a ball bearing is it will bounce off or penetrate most any surface it strikes. I have shot .685 Ball bearing in my reamed 12 guage double doing penetration tests. They riqochet terribly if not fired into a soft backdrop.
Plaster of paris molds are good for ONE moulding and you use a expendible wax core to form the cavity.. sand casting would be the option as the sand is not lost and made in two halves so the core is not lost. But for fast reliable casting a single cavity mold id the fastest.
I would suggest to the "cannon man" he looks into buying the mold and you making the RBīs. He really needs it and you know where you can get one..
Over at Traditional Muzzleloader forum there is a CANNON board where those fellers know who has the molds for the BIG bores.

Shooter
09-15-2010, 08:47 AM
In my experence, WW balls are a waste of lead. They are a lot of trouble to dig out of backstops. When I want solid shot, I use iron bought from a guy on *bay. I think they are from ball mills used in mining. Search for "Grapeshot"
Save your lead for smaller stuff.

bohica2xo
09-16-2010, 03:28 AM
I agree I would just sand cast some, but not everybody can do that.

Hilts makes a 24 ounce ball mould, as well as others:

http://www.hiltsmolds.com/CannonBallSinkerMolds.htm

shaggist
09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Go to Ebay, type in downrigger mold, look for the SinkerShop auctions, and click on their site. Downrigger weights are used in fishing and the SS propably has the size you need.

onondaga
10-02-2010, 01:55 AM
I can't recommend a supplier but A+B two component silicone putties are used in dentistry. These putties set to a good mould material for lead casting. My old dentist made moulds and cast lead downrigger balls for fishing in several sizes. He made split moulds boxed in wood and made them around various sized sports balls. The detail in the lead was so good that the baseball stitches looked real in the lead.

hickstick_10
10-02-2010, 04:12 AM
You can make a simple mould by forming fire clay or any vitrify-able clay (potters clay) around a 2 inch wood ball from a hobby store. do it in 2 halves

I'd wager cement would work to since molten lead isn't nearly as hot as steel.

Any potter or hippy that works with ceramics should be able to help you out, fairly cheaply.

John Taylor
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I used a fishing weight mold for my 2" canon. Sold the canon years ago and still have a few 2" balls someplace. I now have one that is 2.3 bore and a 3 pound fishing weight mold. Have not shot it yet with a lead ball. It is a 2/3 scale of a 6 pounder.