PDA

View Full Version : Star Sizer may cause blindness

280Ackley
09-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't know if I'm going about adding lube to my star right. Yesterday I nearly punched my self silly pulling the pressure spring assembly out of the sizer. Had I not been wearing safey glasses I would have a nice half inch hole in my eye instead of on the lens of my glasses. How do you guys remove the hycar assembly? Is there a screw or something that I am missing?

scb
09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
If I understanding you correctly you're doing it wrong, as you've already guessed. You remove the the cap and the pressure screw. Run the cap back down the screw. Screw the top of the pressure screw on to the piston spring assm. Screw the cap back down the screw until it contacts the top of the reservoir, now continue turning the cap and it will pull the piston assm. right out. Hope I haven't added to the confusion.

BTW that's why there's a step on the cap. The small dia. goes inside the reservoir to keep things centered.

dragonrider
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
once you turn the threaded rod upside down and thread it onto the spring assembly run the large knurled cap down till it touches the top of the lube resevoir, now tighten it down against the press and this will start the spring asssembly moving and make it much easier to remove.

101VooDoo
09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Watch this one:

http://www.youtube.com/user/magmaengineering#p/u/12/2n3r9Gw6A38

Jim

lathesmith
09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Adding a little heat can also make things come apart much easier.

lathesmith

crabo
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Adding a little heat can also make things come apart much easier.

lathesmith

I always turn on the heater first and let it get good and warm before I pull it out. That makes it much easier.

jsizemore
09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
+2 on the heat.

Move head to the side when removing the plunger or wear football helmet.:cool:

Dale53
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
280Ackley;
The warning is justified. You can indeed hurt yourself if you are unaware of a potential problem.

I have been removing the spring piston just like the video shows. However, the very next time I use mine I will give the method suggested here a run.

I definitely suggest that the application of a bit of heat is a good idea. If you are running bullets and using heat that is enough. However, if you are NOT using heat then the application of a bit of heat with a heat gun or hair dryer would definitely not be out of place.

Dale53

376Steyr
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
I managed to punch myself in the face when tugging the lube piston out, too. That nice sticky lube that we put on bullets tends to stick other things together as well. Now I use my heat gun to get the lube reservoir nice and warm before trying to pull the piston out.

LAH
09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
I lube my pressure screw gasket/seal. Make it go in & out easy.......Creeker