PDA

View Full Version : My first silver shower

ebg3
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I had the fish cooker/cast iron pot going today to pour some ingots from isotope lead that I have had for several years. Most pieces have labels and glue and a few are painted so it's nice to make ingots and flux instead of just adding them to my Lee 20lb pot. Things were going well until I added a 10lb painted piece that looked like the paint was oxidized...it kind of looked like a battery terminal that is corroded. I don't know if something was spilled on it of it was a chemical reaction or oxidation but when I eased it into the pot it started sizzling and I immediately turned and only made it 1-2 steps before the eruption. It made a real mess on my concrete driveway and luckily the only skin contact was on the back of my head, through my hair. The back of my shirt got a good splatter but stopped my back from getting burned.
I've always been careful to look for any moisture and even was checking each container today for it. I will now always brush/clean everthing before it goes in the pot. I did make a bunch of nice fluxed ingots, now I can start casting boolits:D.

Doc Highwall
09-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I am glad you did not get burned. That is another reason I preheat my ingots on my hot plate with my moulds before I top off the pot when casting.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
YEOOZA,
I'm glad your OK,
when smelting anything questionable,
I start with it in a cold pot.
Jon

sagacious
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Always preheat ingots and tools that will contact lead. This is the only sure way to avoid an unwanted surprise.
Always put lead that has (or appears to have) come into contact with liquid into a cold pot to melt, and never into molten lead.
Always wear eye protection.
Glad you're OK.

lwknight
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I even rest the ladle on top of the lead before submerging it unless its already good and hot from the previous dip.

dragonrider
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
As mentioned above ALWAYS preheat any lead you put into already melted lead.

uncle joe
09-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I agree with all the above posts, and when I add an ingot to a melted pot, I ease it into the melt with a large pair of pliers just a little at first, holding it in the melt for a while. This will heat it enough for all the water that may be just under the surface time to evaporate.

docone31
09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I have had some ingots give me concern.
My casting room is in a room where I also do silver casting. I maintain low humdity.
The ingot mold is cast iron, and it has stages where it is either hot, or dead cold. When it is cold, the metal can fold while hardening.
I have noticed, some of the older ingots. They are 4"long X 1/2 deep, and 1/2 wide. Basically, I took a silver ingot mold and cast lead into it. When I set them in the melt, they vibrate. Some give the feeling of real vibration, then it passes. These ingots never see the outside, nor are outside of A/C range. About 70% humidity. Temp is always constant.
I am sure, ingots that are kept outside will absorb lots of humidity.
Preheating is a very good idea. My ingots are long, so they slide into the melt. I can imagine if they were small, square, and had an hollow.
Hot lead hurts!

crabo
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
The OP is talking about making ingots and not adding them to his pot.

This is a real problem when you have about 1000 pounds to render into ingots. I have a large pile of roof jacks that I am sure have a little water in them, just because they stayed outside at the roofers house before they entered my garage.

I was lucky when I smelted about 400 pounds before and had no explosions. I have been wondering how to do it without any showers. I have way to much to start with a cold pot every time. I think I usually add some and put the lid on the top.

Any ideas without starting with a cold pot?

No_1
09-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a plate that covers the top of my smelting pot (and also on that covers my pour pot). These serve 3 purposes. 1st and foremost it gives me time if the tinsel fairy decides to visit, 2nd it gives me a place to set my ingot or raw lead for pre-heating before I put them in the pot and 3rd it helps keep the heat in. I also always keep a layer of cat litter on the top of my melt which helps slow the oxidation process.

There is no way to stop the tinsel fairy. There may be some who have not met her YET but I am sure there are many who have to some degree or another. Always wear protective gear such as safety glasses, long pants, long sleeve shirt, leather shoes & some type of cap. You may be uncomfortable wearing this gear if it is hot outside but you will never be as uncomfortable as you would be if you had to deal with the aftermath of a visit.

R.

montana_charlie
09-12-2010, 08:31 PM
The first time I fluxed with a stick I thought she was knocking on my door...but I have never met the Tinsel Fairy.
CM

docone31
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Oh, Charlie. Knock on wood.
When and if the Tinsel Fairy does come, and it has been a few Lee production pots ago for me, she comes in distinctly!
You are probaby like me though. A little prep and no worries. Enough random things occur.
Lead does not know when it hurts!
It keeps on coming.

sagacious
09-12-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a large pile of roof jacks that I am sure have a little water in them, just because they stayed outside at the roofers house before they entered my garage.

Any ideas without starting with a cold pot?
The pot need not actually be cold, just not full of molten lead that can splatter.

One way to speed up the melt is to load up the pot with lead and then add was/oil/hydrocarbon flux to the pot and light it immediately. The flames will heat up the lead considerably, and reduce the melt time noticeably. Saves time and fuel, and avoids steam/metal exposions. Some folks here do this routinely. Good luck.