PDA

View Full Version : m91/30 scope help

indymadcaster
09-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I have a 1942 tula m91/30 (have several) I need to scope one to hunt with (old eyes) I have a couple of options ROCKSOLID mount appears pretty durable(needs a modified bolt handle) and pricey
a psop side rail and needs bolt handle modified too very pricey, or Kalinkina? has a side mount weaver drill and tap mount (uses stock bolt handle and you can use the iron sights
it looks kinda like this
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=435151

or will the one from midway work???

it will be used for hunting and plinking and a loaner gun i am still keeping the original stock i have a spare stock to use for this project
indymadcaster

bob208
09-12-2010, 10:27 AM
why not get the mount that goes on the rear sight and us a long eye relef pistol scope? i have used them on many rifles with no problems. that way you don't have to drill up a nice rifle.

Beekeeper
09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
You beat me to it bob.
I was going to suggest the same thing.
If you use the rail that replaces the rear sight you do not have to bend or cut the bolt, that is unless you want to.

Jim

damron g
09-12-2010, 10:54 AM
the Advanced Technology doesn't look great,but is solid.I have had mine on one year and 2000 round of cast loads and it has held zero.I added an extra screw on the bolt handle as it wouldn't stay tight and the tap they send you is overly brittle(mine snapped) so i used a good American one.I also had to add a shim on the back screw up to get to the center of my scope adjustments closer is all.

click the images to enlarge

rifle with scope left,

typical 10 shot groups scoped right (three in a row @ 100) the guns come alive scoped.

George

damron g
09-12-2010, 10:56 AM
"If you use the rail that replaces the rear sight you do not have to bend or cut the bolt, that is unless you want to."

what one did you use?

George

indymadcaster
09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
thought about those BUT they look fragile for the way i hunt thats why i was looking for a solid drill and tap mount I am leaning to the rock solid mount

damron g
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
thought about those BUT they look fragile for the way i hunt thats why i was looking for a solid drill and tap mount I am leaning to the rock solid mount

It is drill and tap,and the Rock Solid uses the same hole spacing(with one extra at the rear left side)should you decide you don't like it.If you get the rock solid tell me how you like it.i agree it would seem to be more solid.My partner takes AK47 side mounts and uses them on the Mosin with a little welding work to recenter the scope.Its pretty darn solid,but not really that cheap.

george

indymadcaster
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
ok if i use the ATI mount can i just use a bent handle bolt body????? and get away from the bolt on bolt handle????????

damron g
09-12-2010, 11:46 PM
ok if i use the ATI mount can i just use a bent handle bolt body????? and get away from the bolt on bolt handle????????

there is a guy who sells the bent bolt handle service on eBay.He welds new contoured bolt handles on your body,no funky screws.They look nice and are made to clear the ATI and Rock Solid mounts.He also does an original 91-30 sniper type conversion,but it wont clear under the ATI mount.

George

mike in co
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
these are scout mounts(rear sight base attachements)
go to scopemounts.com
s&k scope mounts.

they make rocksolid steel mounts sold with rings or weaver rail

go to optics planet probably dot com

look up NcStar scopes...look up 2-7x long eye relief....silver or black...aprox 40 bucks delivered.

yes it is a chinese scope...but they work and have a lifetime warrantee.

and no one else makes a similar scope!,,it is not a pistol scope..it is a scout scope.

mike in co

ilcop22
09-13-2010, 08:05 PM
+1 on the ATI mount.

damron g
09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
'and no one else makes a similar scope!,,it is not a pistol scope..it is a scout scope.

Burris and Leupold make them but they are a bit more than $40

George

mike in co
09-14-2010, 12:58 AM
'and no one else makes a similar scope!,,it is not a pistol scope..it is a scout scope.

Burris and Leupold make them but they are a bit more than $40

George

maybe you could give us the model numbers of the 2-7x scout scope they make ???

2 power yes...2 to 7 no....

mike in co

damron g
09-14-2010, 01:35 AM
"'and no one else makes a similar scope!,,it is not a pistol scope..it is a scout"

thought you were referring to eye relif not power.My Burris is 2.75 anyhow,not 2X.
What mount did you use on your Mosin?

George

mike in co
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
"'and no one else makes a similar scope!,,it is not a pistol scope..it is a scout"

thought you were referring to eye relif not power.My Burris is 2.75 anyhow,not 2X.
What mount did you use on your Mosin?

George

WHICH MOSIN ?.....lol
i have three mounts form s&k on various guns....all have the 2-7 scopes. all are thier rings, this requires you to center your crosshairs, and then center the scope to the bore.

mike in co

damron g
09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
WHICH MOSIN ?.....lol
i have three mounts form s&k on various guns....all have the 2-7 scopes. all are thier rings, this requires you to center your crosshairs, and then center the scope to the bore.

mike in co

got 5 Mosins myself.the SK looks nice,but i wanst sure how solid they were.How is the Mosin Mount in particular.

george

mike in co
09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
the mounts are rock solid and do no damage to the gun..it can be reversed back to the original rear sight.

mike in co

indymadcaster
09-16-2010, 11:36 AM
think i will go with the kalinkina drill and tap side mount. I do not care for the scout idea
i can still use irons if i want and i can take it off too