PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Sight Differences

Uncle Grinch
09-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I picked up a Mauser barrelled action that had been tapped for receiver sights and since I already had a Williams FP 98, I thoughjt I had it made.

After mounting it it seems the bolt will not close due to the base of the FP extends beyond the rear of the action and interferes with the root of the bolt. It's too much to remove off the base as it would porbably weaken the dovetail for the slide part of the sight.

I looked at some photos of Lyman's 57SME and Redfield peeps and they look like they would fit.

Has anyone ran across this before? I always thought Williams, Lyman and Redfield were interchangable (screw spacing) and any would work.

Guesser
09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I have a Williams on a '98, mine is a 5D and I think the base allows more clearance on the 5D. Works for me.

Larry Gibson
09-12-2010, 01:31 AM
The 48s and 57SMEs had the same hole spacing as the Williams but, as you've found the hole positioning is different. The holes for either should be drilled with the rear of the base flush with the rear of the receiver. This is done so the sight doesn't block the stripper clip loading slot. Since I have always had a preference for the Lyman sight this is the reason why I seldom use the Williams, especially on Mausers.

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
09-12-2010, 07:54 AM
2 other possibilities come to mind-

1- The guy who drilled it put the holes in the wrong place (Been there, done that).

2- It's set up for a different, older sight. Pacific and a whole lot of other outfits made sights way back when.

Uncle Grinch
09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
The 48s and 57SMEs had the same hole spacing as the Williams but, as you've found the hole positioning is different. The holes for either should be drilled with the rear of the base flush with the rear of the receiver. This is done so the sight doesn't block the stripper clip loading slot. Since I have always had a preference for the Lyman sight this is the reason why I seldom use the Williams, especially on Mausers.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

I believe you are right on. I'll have to start looking for a Lyman 57SME so I can get my cast boolit gun going.

Larry Gibson
09-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Larry,

I believe you are right on. I'll have to start looking for a Lyman 57SME so I can get my cast boolit gun going.

New ones are readily available but I prefer the older all steel versions. Have to admit though that the 2 or 3 newer ones I have work just as well.

Larry Gibson