PDA

View Full Version : 624

odis
09-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a question for owners of M24s or 624. Today I stopped by a gunstore close to where I live and they have a used M624 with a 3 in. barrel. It piqued my interest because I have considered getting a carry permit. What are your thoughts about the S&W pistol in 44 special, the price is $650.00. The size of the gun compared to a J frame is no big deal to me.

Dale53
09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Odis;
I have a couple of 624's (a 6½" and a 4"). Frankly, I see little reason for a 3". I much prefer the 4" - it is a PPP (Perfect Packin' Pistol as articulated by John Taffin)and yet has a long enough sight radius for good shooting. You are NOT going to make a pocket pistol out of an "N" frame Smith.

On the other hand, if the short barrel fulfills a need or even a "want" then get it. The price is not out of line but that is very dependent on area.

These are superb guns in every way. Keep in mind if looking for the 4" or 6½" that there was a recall out for some of them. If you have the original box a red "C" inside a circle on the box indicates that the gun has been checked and found OK. In the "infinite" wisdom of S&W that is the way they marked the revolvers - on the box only. It only applies to early 629's and 624's. Apparently, by mistake, the cylinder metal supplied was off specs. The down side is that they have no new cylinders. If you send one back and it ends up being one of the recalled ones, you do not get it back. They will allow you to apply credit to one of their currently available guns. It wouldn't particularly bother me, they are doing what they can to solve the problem in a practical fashion (I would just ask for a current 629 Mountain Gun).

FWIW
Dale53

odis
09-11-2010, 03:56 PM
This gun has finger grip grips that have the factory medallions on them like the Lew Hortons, how common were these? The gun had not been cleaned so I know it will shoot:lol: I had considered the mountain gun but when I picked this one up it felt right.

BoolitBill
09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Odis, {"when I picked this one up it felt right"}
That last phrase says a lot. I have a 624 in 3" and I love it. It just felt right to me too and it shoots great. My respects to Dale53's opinion but I find the 3" perfect for me when I go hunting. The pistol is used as back-up (more of a security blanket) and the 3" barrel is more comfortable for me to wear in a strong side holster in and out of the truck or blind. It is accurate enough that if I had to use it to shoot game with I feel comfortable taking a 50 yd shot but I don't think I would ever have to do that. All in all this gun is my perfect packing pistol.

Thumbcocker
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
I have a M24 4" with cocobolo Hogue grips on it and it shoots well out to 100 yards with Skeeter's load. Almost afraind to shoot it much since the last Louisville gun show I was at a vendor was asking $1100 for one no better than mine. :holysheep

Dale53
09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I really don't care what mine are worth. They are paid for and I have no intention of getting rid of them. I thoroughly enjoy mine both on and off the range.

Dale53

09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Odis,
The finger groove grips make the gun a Lew Horton Special, and, according to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson there were 5000 made between 1985 and 1987. It seems to be priced according to today's market.

I have a 6 1/2" Model 624 and a 3" Model 24-3, both Lew Horton Specials and wouldn't part with either. There were 5000 24-3s made, as well, and 1000 of them were shipped with a black holster. Bought mine used and it came with the a left-handed holster. Though I'm left-handed, I'm right-eye dominate and shoot right-handed.

One thing you will likely encounter is fat cylinder throats. My guns have .430" barrels and .432" throats. Took a bit of work to get a 429421 to drop at .433+" and a .431" sizer enlarged to .433", but it was well worth the effort.

Like Dale53, I shoot mine. In fact, I have some Wolff springs coming, for the 624. If they improve the trigger pull as much as advertized, the 24-3 will get a set, too.

odis
09-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Thank you gentlemen, I received a lot of answers to questions that were bouncing around in my head especially the throat dimensions. My reason for the carry permit is because my wife wants one and she wants me to go through the process with her, so in spirit that will not be the primary reason for the gun, that will be to reload and shoot a 44 spec. which I have never done and to get another smith which I have not had since 85.

Heavy lead
09-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I have a 625 (45 Colt) with a 3" barrel and finger groove grips and it's simply wonderful. I love the fit and balance better than the 4" mountain gun in the same caliber I have.

Ed K
09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I guess different strokes for different folks. I had a 3" 624 and while simultaneously owning and living with a 629MG saw no advantage to the 3" as a woods gun. If someone wanted to argue carry gun fine but I'd choose something else in that department personally. I could shoot the 629 a LOT better. A simple matter of sight radius. I no longer have the 624.

30calflash
09-13-2010, 09:15 AM
If you like it buy it! There aren't many of these around as per the numbers quoted earlier. It feels right in the hand, that's a big part of it.
If you want something thinner you can find a S&W 596?, Taurus or Charter Arms, the last 2 more readily than the 24/624's, all 5 shot I believe.

Glen
09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
One of my all-time favorite guns! Mine has been used from everything from poppin' ground squirrels to finishing off wounded elk.

odis
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I went and looked at it again today, had the salesman clean it out and no leading then I shoved a 431 sized slug through the chambers and it seemed to be tight so its not overly large in the throats I wrote down the ser.# and emailed a source at S&W to see if it was in the range to be inspected. If it checks out I'll buy some LBT wadcutters from montana bullets plus the gun and see what I can work out with it, bet it would be a fun gun to shoot.

Frank46
09-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Odis, I paid $700 for my 624 6.5" bbl and almost new in the box with the cleaning kit sealed up in a plastic bag. This may sound high but 44 special handguns down here in loisiana don't show up very often. Managed to get 20 rounds of win sinvertips through it before the heavens opened up. Will be getting some cast from a supplier here in La. Besides the big "N" frame grips fit me pretty well. Could use some reduction of the hammer spring though. Time will tell. Frank

odis
09-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Nice looking guns. Its strange how the publics taste changes, one minute because people bemoan the fact that certain guns are no longer available they will pay a fortune for a used one. Then when a company starts marketing them again they get a luke warm reception, oh well I have gotten a responce from S&W that the gun in question is not subject to the recall it was shipped in 86 so I'm going with it.

Bret4207
09-17-2010, 07:57 AM
I have a M24 Lew Horton. I love it. As was noted, it just feels right. I sometimes wish it was a 4" as that's what most of my revolvers are and I appreciate a bit more barrel. But like my Charter Bulldog, this one just feels right.

I will admit to being a full bore chicken, I don't haul mine out very often much less go traipsing through the swamps with it. Some things are just works of art!

MakeMineA10mm
09-17-2010, 09:08 AM
odis,
You just can't go wrong with a 44 Special. (Almost-there's always those Monday morning and Friday afternoon products...) I don't have a 24/624, but I really enjoy loading my 44 Spls. I bet you wil too.

odis
09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Well I did it, I got in touch with the factory last week and gave them the serial number of this gun and they said it was a go, so now it belongs to me. I have not shot it yet but I feel that it will be a good one. I think that it has had some work done to it because it has the nicest trigger that I have cycled. picked up 200 WW brass and should have something going at one of the area gravel pits by next week. I showed it to my wife and after she cycled the action I immediatly told her she can't have it.

09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Odis,
Don't be surprised if that trigger job is the stock, factory original.

odis
09-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Odis,
Don't be surprised if that trigger job is the stock, factory original.Well the SA pull is an icicle breaking, and the DA pull is so smooth that I wonder if I'll ever shoot it SA, I haven't had a smith since the early 80s I hope to shoot it this weekend. The gun brings back memories of my brothers M19 that he had in the early 70s one of the most accurate guns I ever shot.

pmeisel
09-22-2010, 12:09 AM
I am jealous.....

9.3X62AL
09-22-2010, 01:53 AM
My Model 624 is a 6.5", and I enjoy range and field days with it immensely. Throats are all .430", and .431" boolits get along quite well with its barrel--if its downrange results are any indication.

Wildcat
09-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Careful. They're like potato chips! I picked up a Lew Horton 24-3, followed shortly by a 6.5" 24-3. I love 'em.

R.C. Hatter
09-23-2010, 10:45 PM
:coffeecom I have a Model 24-3 3" barreled gun and find it very nice to shoot as well as enjoy a great .44 Special. They are very nice guns, a bit pricey, but pleasurable to own.

09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
R.C. Hatter,
Paid $350 for mine, 9-years ago. She's a keeper.

Frank46
09-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Dale, thanks for posting that bit of information regarding the red circle with the "C" inside it. I have the origional box and was going to call and find out wether or not mine was one of the recalled guns. Thanks, Frank

Dale53
09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Frank46;
Glad to help out...

Dale53

exile
09-25-2010, 06:49 AM
I have a 629 Mountain Gun, but the 624 3" sounds like a nice gun. I have always shot .44 Specials through my 629 anyway.

exile

odis
09-25-2010, 11:28 AM
I should get a chance this weekend to shoot this gun. I reloaded a box of 240gr. smw's with some "old" bullseye, and after i shoot up those I'll load up some with red dot than unique and see what I like best. I plan on trying some full wad cutters in the future, just looking for mild loads for plinking and DA action shooting, there are no organized shoots where I live its just for my own pleasure, its OK to have a gun to shoot for no other reason than for fun isn't it:-D:-D

GLL
09-25-2010, 12:24 PM
its OK to have a gun to shoot for no other reason than for fun isn't it:-D:-D

It is a requirement ! :) :)

Jerry

09-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Odis,
I think the .44 Special and 2400 were made for each other.

odis
09-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Odis,
I think the .44 Special and 2400 were made for each other.Even with a 3 in. barrel? I just figured that with a barrel so short that the fast burners would be best. I'm open to any suggestions.

09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Odis,
Just starting to shoot boolits in the 3" 24-3, but it loves 15.0 grains with 200 or 240 jacketed.

hicard
09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
If I had been to that gunshop while you were deciding, you would never have seen the gun again because it would've been mine. Sometimes a treasure shows up and you can't hesitate. I have a 6" 24 and love it. I also have a Charter Arms Bulldog and sometimes wish I had waited for a Smith. Not that I don't like the Bulldog though. The 44 Special is one of my favorite cartridges.

odis
09-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Well I shot it today, the results were a little surprising to me. I loaded up a box of what I figured would be the better of the two consisting of a 240 gr. TC with a flat plain base, this slug has proven in the past to be very accurate in both my TC contender and redhawk with 2400 powder all the way out to 100 yds. The other load was with a 240 gr. semi wad cutter with a bevel base which has always been just OK both slugs were launched by 4.1 grs. of old bullseye in new WW cases with Fed. LP and to my surprise the SWC shot noticably better. The action on this gun is so smooth that I didn't notice any difference in group size between SA or deliberate DA at 30 yds. The slugs are sized at .431 and I bought them from Penn in 92, zero leading I love this gun.

9.3X62AL
09-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Well I shot it today, the results were a little surprising to me.

Zero leading I love this gun.

Sounds like a 44 Special was involved. :)

odis
09-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Well I shot it today, the results were a little surprising to me. I loaded up a box of what I figured would be the better of the two consisting of a 240 gr. TC with a flat plain base, this slug has proven in the past to be very accurate in both my TC contender and redhawk with 2400 powder all the way out to 100 yds. The other load was with a 240 gr. semi wad cutter with a bevel base which has always been just OK both slugs were launched by 4.1 grs. of old bullseye in new WW cases with Fed. LP and to my surprise the SWC shot noticably better. The action on this gun is so smooth that I didn't notice any difference in group size between SA or deliberate DA at 30 yds. The slugs are sized at .431 and I bought them from Penn in 92, zero leading I love this gun.By the way this shooting was from a rest.

09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Sounds like you have a keeper, too.

Potsy
09-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I bought a 4" back in the winter. 429421, Win Brass, CCI Primer,7.0 grn Universal is very accurate.
The one group I've actually sandbagged (yes, I know, one group proves nothing, thanks) put 5 thru one hole, I pulled the 6th (dangit!).
I don't know that it would shoot that tight again as my boolits are a little narrow and the throats are a little wide, but I've shot that handload and a few hand-me-down factory loads from a buddy (probly only put about 150-200 rounds thru it) and it "wants" to hit.

odis
09-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I bought a 4" back in the winter. 429421, Win Brass, CCI Primer,7.0 grn Universal is very accurate.
The one group I've actually sandbagged (yes, I know, one group proves nothing, thanks) put 5 thru one hole, I pulled the 6th (dangit!).
I don't know that it would shoot that tight again as my boolits are a little narrow and the throats are a little wide, but I've shot that handload and a few hand-me-down factory loads from a buddy (probly only put about 150-200 rounds thru it) and it "wants" to hit.I know what you mean about wanting to hit, these are my first loads, I still haven't tried unique or red dot or 2400 yet. With this gun having only 3 inches of barrel loading something stout might not be a good idea. My only complaint about this gun other than it being stainless is that the grips don't really fit my hand, the first knuckle on my social finger is jammed into the trigger guard so I believe they will be put in a drawer after I figure out replacement

UnderDawgAl
10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I would love to have a 24-3 or 624-3 with a 3" barrel. That's one of the best looking revolvers. I'm saving my pennies even now, so maybe I'll have one by next year--unless a nice K38 comes along first!

9.3X62AL
10-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Talk about a tough choice......24/624 vs. a K-38. The 624 itch has been scratched, and a number of K-frames grace the gun safe......but no Masterpiece models. Yet.

odis
10-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Talk about a tough choice......24/624 vs. a K-38. The 624 itch has been scratched, and a number of K-frames grace the gun safe......but no Masterpiece models. Yet.What I have been looking for this past year is a M15, thats what I went to this particular shop looking for when my eye caught the 624, it was strange how it monopolized all my interest, there was FA with an octoganal barrel and I never even asked to look at it. I'm very happy with this gun and do not feel any disadvantage because of the 3 in. barrel. Maybe someday I'll get a M15 but for now I'm preoccupied with this gun.

ironhead7544
10-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Elmers load from a 3 inch barrel clocked 985 fps for me. Thats enough for almost any pistol requirement.

FN in MT
10-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I shoot the 429421 with 7.5 of Unique and it's all you need in a Special.

I used to have a list of the Stainless guns affected by that recall years back. Could not find it. I've found only a few of those guns that were not sent in for examination. You should be OK with any LUCK.

I would suggest keeping the grips with the gun. Those original N frame finger groove Combats are getting tough to find....and bringing some crazy prices on the internet.

FN in MT

odis
10-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I shoot the 429421 with 7.5 of Unique and it's all you need in a Special.

I used to have a list of the Stainless guns affected by that recall years back. Could not find it. I've found only a few of those guns that were not sent in for examination. You should be OK with any LUCK.

I would suggest keeping the grips with the gun. Those original N frame finger groove Combats are getting tough to find....and bringing some crazy prices on the internet.

FN in MTI already had the serial number cleared with S&W I will keep the grips but look for something more comfortable to use.

rintinglen
10-03-2010, 12:37 AM
It sure is qdd how times and people's desires change. INn 86 a local chain had model 624 61/2 inchers on sale for 279.00. I bought one, it shot poorly, or rather, it did not shoot up to my expectations so it went down the high way and I've never felt the need to replace it. Though I do own a 21-4 four inch.

it doesn't shoot all that great either, but boy oh boy is it pretty.