PDA

View Full Version : Just something to throw out there

BSkerj
09-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I have been casting only two years now and am starting to get a number of molds built up. My problem has been getting the right mold that works. I have had members on this forum either make me bullets from thier molds or offer to send me the mold to use and return after using. I then am able to tell whether I want to invest in the mold or go on to something that may work better.
Would anyone be interested in starting a "Library " for mold lending ? For instance, I have a Lee 405 HB mold for my 45/70 that works great up until the time it sends a bullet downrange. My 1895 just does not like the bullet itself but I know there are many members here who use that mold. I really don't want to part with the mold because the time I think that I won't use it will be the time I would like to try it in another rifle but I know it may just sit on my shelf for years to come. I would rather lend it out to someone that may want to use it than just have it sitting here.
Like said above...bottom line..it would be nice to try out a mold before having to purchase. I think the borrower would have to pay the postage of course of sending it and returning it also send it back to the owner in a timely manner and not lend it out to anyone else. The original owner has to do the lending, and the lendee will be responsible for the care of the mold.
Maybe compile a list of available molds by members on a new Forum from members and see where it will take us. Also, get a couple of mould makers to offer up some "sample molds" to try. I know I for one would like to try some moulds before I spend over a 100.00 for a mould. Luckily, all the highend molds that I purchased are more than I hoped for.
Anyway, thought I would throw out a feeler for something like this. I have been reading off and on about "what if" we had our own community...I never did see a library ! Of course we would have to name it ....Lend a mould or....Mould Bay !:smile:

excess650
09-11-2010, 06:41 PM
I think some of us are more "protective of our children" than to loan them out. Sample bullets? sure, but I'll cast 'em.

Centaur 1
09-11-2010, 10:18 PM
excess650 makes a good point. I probably would have signed up a week ago, but on Wednesday I stopped at a local shop and I was rummaging through their box of used molds. I saw a mold for a .38 148gr wadcutter, with a sticker that said $10. I thought that I hit paydirt until I started checking it out. It was obvious that the previous owner was beating it with a hammer to get the boolits to drop. I like the idea of trying it out before spending the money on something that doesn't work. I'm all for sharing some boolits, if you want to put together a list I'll sign up.

mooman76
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
It's been done here before and unfortunately someone along the line tends to mess it up. Either mistreats a mould or the mould disappears. Not saying you can't try it again but you have to realise it may happen again.

RobS
09-11-2010, 11:14 PM
This is a very good idea at heart:

However, I would have a hard time letting one of my molds head out into the world as things can and do happen and before you know it someone accidently drops the mold even though they didn't mean to. The other thing to note is our “reliable” shipping companies also have their part in messing up this idea. A custom mold takes time to be cut and can be gone with lost mail or an accidental "oops". I will be the only one messing up my molds so I can blame only myself.

I am all up for trading or casting sample boolits though and have done this with forum members here and have had them do the same for me. A very nice exchange of boolits and many times a good chat as well.

Just my two cents.

Artful
09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
You could have a "Damage Insurance Fee" held by a member who acts a central "librarian" and if a mold "disappears" or is damaged the person who is responsable party will have the fee given to member who had the mold damaged/disappeared. - just a thought

geargnasher
09-12-2010, 01:28 AM
My wife, my underwear, my moulds, things I don't share with anyone. Be glad to cast a few boolits and send them your way, done it many times with members here, but the mould ain't goin' nowhere.

Gear

nicholst55
09-12-2010, 02:19 AM
My wife, my underwear, my moulds, things I don't share with anyone. Be glad to cast a few boolits and send them your way, done it many times with members here, but the mould ain't goin' nowhere.

Gear

+1; add tools to the list. It ain't that I don't trust y'all, and that I wouldn't help you out if you're in need. I would draw the line there, however.

Bret4207
09-12-2010, 08:31 AM
There was a mould loaning thing going a few years back, but it lead to a lot of hard feelings over damage and theft IIRC.

btroj
09-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Don't loan a mould to a person you wouldn't loan your wife to. Period.

cbrick
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Don't loan a mould to a person you wouldn't loan your wife to. Period.

Well, how about a straight up trade, you send me a mold and I'll send you the wife. :drinks:

Rick

RP
09-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Dont loan anything your not willing to lose or borrow anything your not willing to replace, sooner or later you have to do one or the other. The boolit exchange may be your best way to find out if you want to buy a mold if you dont have something to trade alot of members will work out some kind of deal almost ever one at this site are willing to help another member.

shdwlkr
09-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I see sending bullets to see if you like the mold but I have some molds you can get anymore and they stay with me until I don't need them any longer. I have around 40 molds and adding to all the time and nope they don't go to anyone.
I get enough excitement when sending group buy molds to their owners, don't need to worry about whether someone is going to like my mold enough to say they lost it or the shipper did and then I am out a mold nope not going to happen.

armoredman
09-12-2010, 06:33 PM

Gear

No loaned thongs!:shock:

When I have moulds I don't need, I give them away, usually, same way I got started, good people giving me stuff they weren't using/excess of, so I try to keep that tradition going.

Hmm, wonder if I could get a couple of those hex hollow pointed boolits in .356 or .358 to try out sometime, then... :D