PDA

View Full Version : How about this idea?

Bret4207
09-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Based on another post it occurs to me we should have a stickied basic flow chart for problem solving? Sound like an idea? Sort of something like this-

Boolit leads entire length of barrel-

1- Boolit undersize-

A- Try larger boolit
B- Ensure seater/crimper isn't reducing diameter of boolit.
C- Ensure boolit isn;t shaved in sizer die.

Stuff like that. Good idea, worthless?

XWrench3
09-11-2010, 07:51 AM
well, it is a good idea. the $100.00 question is, will anyone read it, or will they just post their question anyways?

44man
09-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Make a good sticky labeled "Problem solving" or something. Have a list of headers. Will need a way to add things under headers as they need added so the whole thing is not repeated over and over.

qajaq59
09-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I like the idea. Maybe it could written and then passed around as a PM to some of the guys that have expertise to check it before it is posted. Then lock it, so it doesn't get long and confusing.

monadnock#5
09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I like the ideas that you and Mike have presented. The sub forums you both have envisioned would need a different set of rules though.

My vision would be to set them up something like Cast Pic of The Month. There would be two threads for each topic. One locked, and the other open for general debate and/or new ideas. It would be the duty of the Sub Forum Mod (full time job!!) to edit the locked thread, so that only the quickest, easiest, best... methods for achieving a given means to a given end are presented.

The Mod in charge would need a stick to make it work however. I know that some Members will seek to inflate their post counts at any opportunity, and that's fine with me. It won't work for the university classes you and Mike would like to teach however.

The Mod in charge would need to ruthlessly cull postings that don't move the ball down the field. No clutter, just clean and clear recipes for success.

Bloodman14
09-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Giving the answers to those who don't 'study the problem' kind of takes away from the process, doesn't it? Isn't this supposed to be a learning experience? If one is serious about the game, one needs to spend/invest one's time at the casting/loading/shooting bench, and learn.

Bob Krack
09-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Giving the answers to those who don't 'study the problem' kind of takes away from the process, doesn't it? Isn't this supposed to be a learning experience? If one is serious about the game, one needs to spend/invest one's time at the casting/loading/shooting bench, and learn.
Yup,

BUT, several auto repair books are read and studied by those well versed in the hows and whys of auto repair.

Why not this subject? I also think it should be a dedicated forum called "trouble shooting" - no pun intended or some such.

Bob

geargnasher
09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Gunnerd, while I understand your point, I disagree. I think Bret has a great idea, and we might do one just like Qajaq suggested. People can read it or not, experienced members can readily use it as a tool to save ALL involved a lot of time and frustration by dropping the link into appropriate threads. There are much more rewarding and productive experiences to be had at the loading/shooting bench than learning through trial, error, and misinformation and hearsay how to get past a very basic step in cast boolit shooting. The time spent learning which of the thousand things you're doing wrong to get leading would be much better spent learning how to transform three-inch groups into one inch groups.

Gear

timkelley
09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I'd sure like to see a flowchart of the type described. I am not having any trouble at this time but every once in a while I'd like to go back and check what I am doing.

Bloodman14
09-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Gentlemen, I humbly stand corrected.

ghh3rd
09-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Perhaps "The 100 Most Often Asked Questions" type of thing.

geargnasher
09-12-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm compiling a Word document with my standard list of responses to the following questions we all love:

"What's a good bullet lube recipe?"
"Can I shoot a GC boolit without the check?"
"Why is my gun leading?"
"I keep making my boolits harder but they still lead"
"What's the best alloy?"
"What's the best load for (insert cartridge name here)?"
"What size to I need to make my boolits?"

All while trying not to be sarcastic. Rather difficult sometimes, so I refrain.

Gear

RobS
09-12-2010, 02:52 AM
This would be a time saver for sure with the repeat of responses to the same questions; imagine all the sentences that have been written to explain the same things.

Wait……………….hold on now……………….the wheels are turning……………..what about those boolits underneath everyone’s screen name and to figure there wouldn't be as many boolits out there. This could be a bad thing :).

Good plan hope it gets off and going as I've written a few long posts from time to time that seems to touch on the same general issues.

scb
09-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Would it be a sort of "Wiki" document, or would it be put together by committee, or?

Bass Ackward
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Based on another post it occurs to me we should have a stickied basic flow chart for problem solving? Good idea, worthless?

I say that by enlarge, it would be a waste of time.

Today's crew are Internet junkies, not knowledge junkies. They want an "instant Internet answer" specific to "their" question. Then they execute. They will learn tomorrow, or the next day, or when they get time. Or maybe not cause .... the Internet is always on.

The learners have already used the search function and are well on their way, experimenting with their own problem solving method.

Besides, didn't Joe B kind of cover this is his effort of Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert? I think that the Los Angles Silhouette Club has the whole thing on line. In fact, they have a very nice bunch of stickies. Coarse, you gotta read'em.

rhead
09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Can this software be set up with a sub forum having the capability to auto delete a post after 30 days or 60 days unless the mod moves the post to the sticky portion of the sub forum?

mpmarty
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Awwww there you guys go again. Trying to turn an art into a science.

btroj
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Sadly, Bass has it right. People want instant answers and the " best" whatever.
Most of the old, and I mean this as a sign of respect, hands here know there is no one right answer. The old hands also know it is better sometimes to learn through experience what works for themselves rather than try to duplicate the results of others.

You can lead a horse to water.........

rhead
09-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Sadly, Bass has it right. People want instant answers and the " best" whatever.
Most of the old, and I mean this as a sign of respect, hands here know there is no one right answer. The old hands also know it is better sometimes to learn through experience what works for themselves rather than try to duplicate the results of others.

You can lead a horse to water.........

My first reply is often what have you already tried and what were the results? I think some of the youngsters are so afraid that failure will devastate their egos that they will not do anything until they have an assurance of perfection. Does the PC crowd teach this in school now?

Bret4207
09-13-2010, 06:39 AM
I say that by enlarge, it would be a waste of time.

Today's crew are Internet junkies, not knowledge junkies. They want an "instant Internet answer" specific to "their" question. Then they execute. They will learn tomorrow, or the next day, or when they get time. Or maybe not cause .... the Internet is always on.

The learners have already used the search function and are well on their way, experimenting with their own problem solving method.

Besides, didn't Joe B kind of cover this is his effort of Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert? I think that the Los Angles Silhouette Club has the whole thing on line. In fact, they have a very nice bunch of stickies. Coarse, you gotta read'em.

Yeah, if you want incorrect answers, limited to low velocity and with the idea that harder is better, there are no variables in this game and that damaged boolits work just dandy.

Bret4207
09-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Well, I think it's worth a try. I'm sure there are other better suited to establishing this type of chart, but I'm willing to help or get it started.

mdi
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
well, it is a good idea. the $100.00 question is, will anyone read it, or will they just post their question anyways?

All casting info is good to be included on a casting forum, but I believe Wrench is right. The info is available at about 1,000 other places, some in the RELOADING MANUALS that one is supposed to use, but I think it'll get skipped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against troubleshooting questions, I just learned most of my reloading/casting stuff "pre-web" and used books for info. Then again it may help someone keep lead out of their bbl!

qajaq59
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Unfortunately many people will indeed skip the info. But if it's kept short and accurate, and edited to death before it is posted, there will be some that will read it. You never reach everyone that you're trying to teach. But even if you only reach a few the same questions wont appear quite as often. Just my 2 cents