PDA

View Full Version : BFR?? Ruger??

HEAD0001
09-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Is the BFR worth $280 more than the Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt?? BFR is Stainless, Ruger is blued. Tom.

Lloyd Smale
09-11-2010, 07:22 AM
not in my opinion but what the hell do i know.

uncle joe
09-11-2010, 07:50 AM
that sounds like a second gun to me

500bfrman
09-11-2010, 09:05 AM
sure it is. especially if I'm spending your money. never had a bisley so I can't really answer. I have had many bfr's and they have always been more accurate than I am. bc gap usually around 3.5 on the bfr's I have had. seems like we would need someone to chime in that has had or has both.

44man
09-11-2010, 09:44 AM
YES, YES, YES, the BFR is BETTER. They are cast by Ruger (Pine Tree) and all internal parts are Ruger but barrels are made by Badger and all I have measured are perfect. Throats are perfect and twist rates are perfect.
Out of the box BFR's will out shoot any revolver I ever shot in over 56 years.
Yes, others can be accurate too but there are so many variations from gun to gun your chances are lower to get a shooter.
They need the same trigger job as a Ruger but from then on it is how you load and shoot. The gun will shoot better then anyone can shoot it. I think if you dropped it on the bench the same, it would shoot one hole at 50 yards. (Of course it will not fire.) Just funning you! :kidding:
I do not like the Bisley on any gun, more grip sensitive and hurts my knuckle. Make your mind up by shooting some Bisley's before spending the money. Some love them, some hate them. They have no advantage in my opinion.

odis
09-11-2010, 09:56 AM
The BFR doesn't come in 45colt, I had one made for me at their precision center last year. I bought a black hawk conv. in 76 for 150 bucks, both of them are 5 shooters, BFR because it was made that way, and the ruger because one of the chambers splits the brass length wise so its marked and not used, both guns are worth every penny I paid for them.

Whitworth
09-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I think the BFR is worth it as well. Yeah, the grip frame sucks (for me -- I like the Bisley), but they are well made, stronger than a tank, and every one I have shot has been accurate.

ole 5 hole group
09-11-2010, 11:00 AM
As odis advised – BFR doesn’t offer the 45 Colt chambering in their production revolvers and you can only get it from their “precision Center” as a special order. Now you can get the 45 Colt/410 offering in their production line but I doubt that’s what you’re looking for. BFR’s precision center is their custom shop and that means the revolver comes the way you want it relative to barrel length and trigger pull etc. It will cost you a little more money from their precision center but what’s a few more dollars for a custom revolver??

Now you can get the BFR in 454 Casull and that will also shoot the 45 Colt, if you want to go that route. I went that route but I no longer shoot any 45 Colt out of that revolver, as I found a load that will shoot a heavy HC bullet at approximately 970fps that groups between 0.5 and 1 inch at 25 yards consistently. Felt recoil is similar to a 38 Special with 158 grain bullet and is a real pleasure to shoot. I’ve also found a few 454 loads that shoot extremely well at much higher velocities and felt recoil, so I think I have the best of both worlds using one cartridge case. I never have shot a 454 Casull case in that revolver, as I purchased a few 460 Smith cases right off the bat and cut them down to 454 Casull max length and I use a magnum large pistol primer (WLP) in all loads from 900fps to 1600fps with no problems from my BFR. I can’t say you would get that kind of accuracy from a 454 Casull case but I don’t know any reasons why you wouldn’t.

Now whether the BFR is worth the extra money? If you got the money I would spend it on the BFR, but I would try and purchase a used 454 for under $700, as a new one from Bud’s Guns will run $823 to your FFL. If money is a little tight right now, I would go with the Ruger and never look back. New Ruger Bisley Accursport’s were selling for under $500.00 last week from Vienna Gun Shoppe, which isn’t a bad price for the stainless model.

HEAD0001
09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I realize the BFR does not chamber a short cylinder in the 45 Colt. I talked to a guy there last week. I have a different thread were I discussed shooting the 45 Colt in the 454 cylinder, and that is a concern of mine. How would the accuracy suffer with a 45 Colt in the 454 cylinder??

My question in this thread was trying to specifically determine if the differences in price between the Ruger and the BFR was worth it. In field conditions.

I have also been loking at an FA in 45 Colt. I have the money to spend. But only want to spend it if I am going to gain field preformance. I was of the understanding that the BFR did not need the after market work like a trigger job and polishing of the cylinders and forcing cone. So I was trying to determine if that was true?? I realizethe FA is a fine revolver, I just find it a bit upsetting that you have to pay extra to get a tuned trigger(paying extra for an action job), when paying $2,000 for a revolver?? I would think that a $2,000 revolver would not possibly need any additional work?? Tom.

tek4260
09-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Tough call. I have a soft spot for the Rugers, but the BFR is a shooter for sure. Of course I have a few Rugers that will shoot with my BFR at 25 yards. The BFR is larger which I don't like. Seems a bit overbuilt and bulky. They could get the same precision in something smaller.

But since you have the funds... Buy a FA 97 in 45 Colt and don't look back. JMHO

ole 5 hole group
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Tom, there is no drop off in accuracy shooting the 45 Colt in a BFR 454 - it just "burns" a carbon ring in front of the 454 throats, which bothers some people. The throats on the 454 will probably be in the .4535 range - a tad big but my BFR 454 shoots 452 & 453 boolits very well. If you don't mind the bulk you could get the 454 and then send the revolver back to BFR to get a 45 Colt cylinder fit for it and specify tight throats; ie: .4525 diameter - the cost will be in the neighborhood of $350, then you'll have one fine revolver with 2 cylinders for less money than the precision shop will charge you. I was going to go that route but with low pressure 454 rounds shooting so well, I just put my money back in my pocket and foolishly spent it elsewhere.

Like TEK4260 advised - the BFR is a bit bulky compared to the Blackhawk. I won't recommend the FA97 unless you don't mind 2+ inch groups at 25 yards with 850 to 1100fps velocities. With the 1:24 twist rate of the 97 you really have to push the bullets hard to get excellent accuracy. The FA test target you’ll get is from a load consisting of a 240 grain Sierra pushed by 26 grains of H110 and a CCI350 primer - anything under that and the groups open. I have one and it's a great carry piece due to its size & weight but at the next gun show I'll have it up for sale, as my 454 will shoot bug holes under 1,000fps, which I really enjoy. Here's the best I could do with the FA97 at 25 yards - velocity with that load is in the area of 1,125fps.

HEAD0001
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
How was the trigger on your BFR?? Thanks, Tom.

ole 5 hole group
09-11-2010, 07:48 PM
The trigger pull on mine was great from the box but I think I got lucky, as most seem to think their trigger pull is heavy with a little creep. That can be cured in short order.

tek4260
09-11-2010, 08:08 PM
If you are going to go the BFR route, why not step up to the 475?

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2128.jpg

If heavy 45's are enough, the Ruger can do quite well.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1280.jpg

Frank
09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
tek says
If you are going to go the BFR route, why not step up to the 475?

So you poked two holes and put it away? How come? Does it hurt too much to shoot it a lot?

tek4260
09-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Actually 3 holes, I pulled that high right one :)
And the recoil from my 45's is a bit worse. Dad will actually shoot the 475. He refuses to shoot my 45 loads anymore.
Of course neither of these 2 comes close to being painful as my 7.5" 480 SRH that is Magnaported.

The BFR shoots good with factory load too and the recoil is not as bad as most 44's

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1763.jpg

Frank
09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
tek says
And the recoil from my 45's is a bit worse. Dad will actually shoot the 475. He refuses to shoot my 45 loads anymore.
Of course neither of these 2 comes close to being painful as my 7.5" 480 SRH that is Magnaported.

The BFR shoots good with factory load too and the recoil is not as bad as most 44's

Great. So the big gun with the cut barrel is comfortable to shoot. You gotta good belt holster for the side?

What's the cause for that? Does it only shoot max loads?

HEAD0001
09-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Tek I am looking for a companion to my 45 Colt Low Wall. I want to be able to shoot the same ammo.

I did think about a little more power if you read a couple of my current posts. But I truly believe the 45 Colt can easily handle what I want to do. I am looking for a deer and varmint cartridge out to 100 yards. And I really believe the 45 Colt can handle that with no problems. And I have a ton of 45 Colt components.

I only wish BFR made their short cylinder in 45 Colt. But you can not have it all. And if you have read all my posts about this purchase you will see that the Ruger BH is in the running. Tom.

tek4260
09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
tek says
Great. So the big gun with the cut barrel is comfortable to shoot. You gotta good belt holster for the side?

What's the cause for that? Does it only shoot max loads?

Well I have only 400gr cast over 21 gr of H-110 in it to get the sights adjusted. The reason the recoil is so bad I think is because it doesn't roll like a SA. More of a straight back slap. I am sure the grips don't help matters, but I don't want Goodyears on my handguns.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1894.jpg

ole 5 hole group
09-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Tek I am looking for a companion to my 45 Colt Low Wall. I want to be able to shoot the same ammo.

If you have a Browning or Winchester Low Wall and are looking for a companion sidearm, then I think I'd go with a blue steel Blackhawk. IMO they just go together better. Lookin' good is half the battle - being able to hit what you're aiming at is the other half:)

buck1
09-11-2010, 09:37 PM
yes, yes, yes, the bfr is better. .

+1000

donjose
09-11-2010, 10:48 PM
not in my opinion but what the hell do i know.

Exactly
Maybe the BFR will be okay if it is a 44 MAG;)

Jason

DanWalker
09-11-2010, 11:16 PM

I did think about a little more power if you read a couple of my current posts. But I truly believe the 45 Colt can easily handle what I want to do. I am looking for a deer and varmint cartridge out to 100 yards. And I really believe the 45 Colt can handle that with no problems. And I have a ton of 45 Colt components.

I only wish BFR made their short cylinder in 45 Colt. But you can not have it all. And if you have read all my posts about this purchase you will see that the Ruger BH is in the running. Tom.
Tom,
As you know, I had both a BFR in 454 and a ruger BH in 45Colt.
I sold the BFR and still have the ruger.
Unlike others here. I couldn't get my BFR to shoot 45 colt loads with anything other than mediocre accuracy. I'm sure with lots of load development I could've come up with something it liked, but it was only wanting to shoot hotter loads. I was rapidly approaching my the limits of my comfort level as far as recoil was concerned.
The BFR is a marvel of precision. Built like a bank safe and impressive to behold.
The sticking points for me were the fact that mine only wanted to shoot punishing loads with a decent degree of accuracy, and it was also a lot heavier than my blackhawk. weight is a factor for me, as my hunting entails miles of walking.
The trigger on the BFR sure wasn't what one would expect from a gun of such obvious quality though.
This isn't me trying to bash BFR. Heck, if they'd ever wise up and build a slightly lighter gun, chambered in 45 colt, put a good trigger in it, and price it affordably, I'd probably be cracking open my piggy bank for one.
Now I suspect some will come rushing to refute what I've said, but I'm just relating my experience. I know you can get a BFR custom chambered in 45 colt, and you can have trigger work done to it, and you can get it chopped down, round butted, trigger guard rounded off,etc...
But why not just buy yourself a ruger BH, spend a few bucks getting the kinks worked out, and still have less invested in it than you would on a bone stock BFR?

odis
09-12-2010, 12:28 AM
My BFR from the precision center has an exceptional trigger a very tight gap from cylinder to forcing cone the throats are a tight 452 so tight that I thought it might prefer 451 slugs but it shoots 452 the best and the chambers are cut extremely tight. They had too order the chambering reamer special for my gun because they had not yet had an order for a 45colt before. I can't compare it too a FA or a factory BFR, just too every thing else I have shot in my life and its the best gun I have ever shot. If I ever feel a need for a 475 I will not hesitate one bit I will order it from Brett at the precision center.

S.R.Custom
09-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Sure would be nice if MR made a medium frame. Not all of us want to chamber a 45-70 or .444 Marlin. *Nobody* these days makes a revolver suitable for the .445 SM.

odis
09-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Sure would be nice if MR made a medium frame. Not all of us want to chamber a 45-70 or .444 Marlin. *Nobody* these days makes a revolver suitable for the .445 SM.I wish they made a single six in 32 HR, or a five shot bearcat in 32 Ruger doesn't want to make them but I sure would like one with out spending 2 grand to have it made.

Whitworth
09-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Sure would be nice if MR made a medium frame. Not all of us want to chamber a 45-70 or .444 Marlin. *Nobody* these days makes a revolver suitable for the .445 SM.

Find a nice, used Ruger .357 Max for that -- that's what I did. I wouldn't think the 1.6-inch cartridges are popular enough for Magnum research to make a "medium-framed" gun.

crabo
09-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Sure would be nice if MR made a medium frame. Not all of us want to chamber a 45-70 or .444 Marlin. .

I would like to see this also. Of course, I have still to buy my first single action pistol. I want to like them, but they just haven't ever tripped my trigger enough to put the money down.

44man
09-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I have never had a revolver of any kind that shot good with the shorter cases. .38 in .357, .44 special in a mag or .480 in a .475.
It is always best to use the full length brass even for lighter loads.
I consider the BFR a primary hunting gun and they thrive on hunting loads.
I would never buy a .460 to shoot Colt or .454 loads in. I bought the .475 because I didn't want a .480.

Frank
09-12-2010, 12:14 PM
tek says
The reason the recoil is so bad I think is because it doesn't roll like a SA. More of a straight back slap. I am sure the grips don't help matters, but I don't want Goodyears on my handguns.

I like rubber because for me it was more accurate. If the wood shot better I'd use that. My tests show soft decelerators make fliers.

S.R.Custom
09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Find a nice, used Ruger .357 Max for that -- that's what I did. I wouldn't think the 1.6-inch cartridges are popular enough for Magnum research to make a "medium-framed" gun.

I've got one of those. It's not an ideal situation. The cylinders are considerably shorter than the Dan Wessons, and when you seat Hornady XTPs such that they are crimped in the canelure, the OAL length of the round almost fills the chamber out to the end. There is no room to get cute with heavy cast bullets.

And when you hog out a Maximum, the cylinder walls end up being no thicker than those on a regular SBH. And no one can say with certainty that the Max's cylinders are heat treated to the same degree as the SBH's. Original intensity Elgin Gates type loadings of the .445 in this gun are a scary proposition at best.

And there's more-- I'm currently in the process of setting back my barrel and taking up endshake on mine after only a few hundred rounds. Frame stretch. Like I said, not an ideal arrangement.

As for popularity of a medium frame BFR, who knows? I currently have no interest in the current crop of BFRs, but I'd buy a couple of medium frames. And I'm sure the custom gun makers would be all over 'em as well...

Frank
09-12-2010, 01:08 PM
I vote for tek's shorty BFR. Just wear a belt with suspenders. :redneck:

Changeling
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
tek4260, do you have any targets shot (.475) at 50 and 100 yards yet instead of 25? I'm really interested in the .475 and would really like to see how yours shoots at distances longer than 25 yards.

Whitworth
09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I've got one of those. It's not an ideal situation. The cylinders are considerably shorter than the Dan Wessons, and when you seat Hornady XTPs such that they are crimped in the canelure, the OAL length of the round almost fills the chamber out to the end. There is no room to get cute with heavy cast bullets.

And when you hog out a Maximum, the cylinder walls end up being no thicker than those on a regular SBH. And no one can say with certainty that the Max's cylinders are heat treated to the same degree as the SBH's. Original intensity Elgin Gates type loadings of the .445 in this gun are a scary proposition at best.

And there's more-- I'm currently in the process of setting back my barrel and taking up endshake on mine after only a few hundred rounds. Frame stretch. Like I said, not an ideal arrangement.

As for popularity of a medium frame BFR, who knows? I currently have no interest in the current crop of BFRs, but I'd buy a couple of medium frames. And I'm sure the custom gun makers would be all over 'em as well...

I am turning my Ruger Max into a .500 Maximum. The window is plenty big. I personally would never use the factory cylinder -- have a 5-shot made. I don't know of anyone who has made a .500 or .475 max on a Dan Wesson.

Frank
09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
My crimp die did a funny thing to me today. .475 pasta anyone? [smilie=s:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2679

44man
09-13-2010, 10:08 AM
First time I seen a lube sizer that small! [smilie=w:

Frank
09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
I read Lloyd's post where he removed the seater plug and used the die for roll crimp. It's doing great, Lloyd! [smilie=l:

44man
09-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I read Lloyd's post where he removed the seater plug and used the die for roll crimp. It's doing great, Lloyd! [smilie=l:
My boolits do not fit the crimp die. I use the seat die and once adjusted I seat and crimp together. Never, ever seen a need for two operations.

Frank
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
44man said
I use the seat die and once adjusted I seat and crimp together. Never, ever seen a need for two operations.
I don't know how I would do that. For one thing, every time I seat a boolit, lube changes the setting, so I have to back out the seater plug, seat the boolit partially, then adjust it again to the groove, each one individually. If I don't do that, the boolit will seat too deep. I can't have a crimp taking place during seating because it takes several strokes to get the boolit aligned exactly with the groove.

tek4260
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
tek4260, do you have any targets shot (.475) at 50 and 100 yards yet instead of 25? I'm really interested in the .475 and would really like to see how yours shoots at distances longer than 25 yards.

I haven't shot it past 25 yet. I have been playing with my Rugers and haven't really thought about the BFR anymore. I know it will shoot great, but at 100 yards, it needs glass to be fair. Also, my way of shooting probably won't give consistent groups although I seem to be getting some decent ones. I stand on my deck with my forearms resting on the top rail. I don't shoot from sandbags or a rest because it changes the POI. I really need to get off my behind and shoot the BFR some more. I still have 80 factory loads that I need to shoot to get some more brass. And a LBT mould while I am at it.

44man
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM
44man said
I don't know how I would do that. For one thing, every time I seat a boolit, lube changes the setting, so I have to back out the seater plug, seat the boolit partially, then adjust it again to the groove, each one individually. If I don't do that, the boolit will seat too deep. I can't have a crimp taking place during seating because it takes several strokes to get the boolit aligned exactly with the groove.
Raise the die so it does not crimp. Then set the seat stem to the boolit depth by adjusting until the boolit is in right. Then unscrew the seat stem and adjust the die to crimp and lock it in place. Now with the round up in the die, turn the seat stem down to the boolit. Might take a tad of tweaking because of ram over center movement. Once set you don't need to touch it for the same boolit.
Reduce all of the lube you have that is extra on the boolits. That's what I use a lapped out Lee die for. You have way too much lube and the thing going into the case is pushing it up into the die.

Frank
09-14-2010, 11:02 AM
44man said
Reduce all of the lube you have that is extra on the boolits. That's what I use a lapped out Lee die for. You have way too much lube and the thing going into the case is pushing it up into the die.
My method retains the most amount of lube on the boolit. I don't have to adjust dies. Each reload is precisely the same. The only variation is using a different case length by brand. But everything is all the same. Case lengths are trimmed exact. Less work adjusting dies. No cleaning seating and crimp dies. If I use the Hornady die for crimp, it shaves boolits. But it works good for seating, easy to adjust. The RCBS seater crimps without hurting the boolit. Plus I like my pasta maker and get to recycle the lube. [smilie=1:

44man
09-14-2010, 12:28 PM
44man said
My method retains the most amount of lube on the boolit. I don't have to adjust dies. Each reload is precisely the same. The only variation is using a different case length by brand. But everything is all the same. Case lengths are trimmed exact. Less work adjusting dies. No cleaning seating and crimp dies. If I use the Hornady die for crimp, it shaves boolits. But it works good for seating, easy to adjust. The RCBS seater crimps without hurting the boolit. Plus I like my pasta maker and get to recycle the lube. [smilie=1:
You baffle me, how does a Hornady seat die shave boolits?

Frank
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
44man said
You baffle me, how does a Hornady seat die shave boolits?
Maybe it's cut too small at the top. I've had dies that were not the right size.

Too much Scotch? :D

44man
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
44man said
Maybe it's cut too small at the top. I've had dies that were not the right size.

Too much Scotch? :D
Seat die, not the extra crimp die that works better for bullets.

Frank
09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
44man said ....
bullets.
Boolits! Sorry, you're right about the die. I'll make the change.

odis
09-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Since this post was originally started on the difference between Ruger and BFR 45s I will report that today I went to a local pit and shot both, I have a blackhawk that I bought when I had a lot more hair on my head 1975 and has been shot 1000s of times and a BFR that I had made last year at the precision center. The Ruger has 454 throats and likes a 270 gr. leadhead semiwadcutter that is based on the NEI version of the Keith bullet. It likes 6 grs. of red dot best and thats what it gets, it likes the same bullet launched with IMR 4227 or 2400. The Bfr has a 1in 20 twist and seems to like the heavy weights especially the 340 gr. SSK design sold by Penn bullets launched with a lot of 296. Since I got the Bfr I have not once felt that I should have got the Casull, all shooting today was at 50 yds. and it was extremely satisfying.

bobke
09-17-2010, 08:45 AM
odis-
any chance of a pic of your custom shop bfr? ever since first reading about it months back, i've been curious to see it. come on...you can do it!

Whitworth
09-17-2010, 09:05 AM
odis-
any chance of a pic of your custom shop bfr? ever since first reading about it months back, i've been curious to see it. come on...you can do it!

I'm not Odis, but here is a picture of my Precision Center BFR:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000390.jpg

Also, what it is capable of:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000697.jpg

44man shot this three-shot group at 50 yards -- it measures a full 1/4-inch......this revolver is very accurate.

odis
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
odis-
any chance of a pic of your custom shop bfr? ever since first reading about it months back, i've been curious to see it. come on...you can do it!I don't know how to post pictures, looks like a run of the mill BFR except they engrave the caliber in the left side of the frame, I wish they had done that right and just engraved 45 Colt instead of long colt. 6.5 in. barrel and the uncle mikes rubber grips.

odis
09-17-2010, 09:19 AM

44man shot this three-shot group at 50 yards -- it measures a full 1/4-inch......this revolver is very accurate.What caliber is that one and are the precision center micarta grips?

Whitworth
09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Odis, those are the micarta grips offered by the Precision Center -- I got rubber ones as well for all bench work. It's in .500 JRH.

Whitworth
09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
The Bfr has a 1in 20 twist and seems to like the heavy weights especially the 340 gr. SSK design sold by Penn bullets launched with a lot of 296. Since I got the Bfr I have not once felt that I should have got the Casull, all shooting today was at 50 yds. and it was extremely satisfying.

Odis, I think the .454 BFR has a 1:16 twist, but I may be wrong. BFRs all have fast twist rates. My .500 JRH has a 1:15 twist barrel. I'm really happy with mine!

odis
09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Odis, I think the .454 BFR has a 1:16 twist, but I may be wrong. BFRs all have fast twist rates. My .500 JRH has a 1:15 twist barrel. I'm really happy with mine!Mine was made last year when they used 1 in 20. I don't know why they changed to 1 in 16. Those grips look nice and that is some good shooting.

Frank
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Love those pics. Nice crimp too. That's what the extra die is for. You can do those nice taper crimps. :drinks:

44man
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes, the early .454 was 1 in 20" but MR found it was too slow. It is now 1 in 16".
I see that they now have a .44 mag out and it has a 1 in 16" twist. Just how wonderful can you get? WOW! :Fire:

44man
09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Love those pics. Nice crimp too. That's what the extra die is for. You can do those nice taper crimps. :drinks:
I loaded the rounds Frank. It is my boolit and only a roll crimp. The picture does not show it right. They are not profile crimps, just enough roll crimp to hold them.

44man
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't know how to post pictures, looks like a run of the mill BFR except they engrave the caliber in the left side of the frame, I wish they had done that right and just engraved 45 Colt instead of long colt. 6.5 in. barrel and the uncle mikes rubber grips.
The custom shop gun is better but there is no run of the mill BFR. A production gun will out shoot any revolver on the market.

odis
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know about other guns except ruger and TC, I like this gun better than my redhawk 5.5 in. in 44 and my TC with a 10 in. 44 barrel plus its the only BFR I have shot. I have been quite lucky in load development because I was able to develop some very good loads right off the bat, plus the chambers seem to be very tight based on my effort to resize the cases fired in that gun compared to the ones fired in my blackhawk, should get good case life.

Frank
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
44man said
I loaded the rounds Frank. It is my boolit and only a roll crimp.
Sorry. Nice work and shooting! :lol:

Changeling
09-17-2010, 03:26 PM

44man shot this three-shot group at 50 yards -- it measures a full 1/4-inch......this revolver is very accurate.

Whitworth, like I have said before that is an Awesome looking revolver, beautiful ! The "Group" WOW, I'm beginning to think 44Man has one of those "Bionic Ransom rest" arms, except he shoots better than they do, LOL. Fantastic 50yd group!

Would you happen to have a good picture of one of those boolits by itself?

Whitworth
09-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't have a photo, but I will take a picture and post it later on. Standby......

Yeah, 44man has his moments that's for sure! Last Sunday I couldn't shoot a tight group to save my life -- but I tried after shooting test loads in my .500 Linebaugh and that's a mistake as it will wear you out in short order!

44man
09-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I can take a picture of the boolit when I get in the basement.
Yeah, Whitworth is right, he beats himself up with the wild ass guns before he tries to shoot groups. You have to watch the .500 Linebaugh in recoil to appreciate it.
I could save him the work by using a hammer on him first! :holysheep

Changeling
09-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I can take a picture of the boolit when I get in the basement.
Yeah, Whitworth is right, he beats himself up with the wild ass guns before he tries to shoot groups. You have to watch the .500 Linebaugh in recoil to appreciate it.
I could save him the work by using a hammer on him first! :holysheep

With those loads that Whitworth shoots that is exactly what I intend to do, "Watch"! He needs a "Caller" when he shoots, you know, thats the guy that taps you on the head from behind and YELLS "Fire In The Hole" :shock: LOLAL.

Whitworth
09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Here you go, Changling. 437 grains of fun:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000699.jpg

Changeling
09-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks very much for the picture of the bullet. As for 437 gr of fun, sure Marko, I'll take your word for it, LOLAL!

bigboredad
09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
437 grains is pretty close to a ounce of prevention I think:shock:

Whitworth
09-20-2010, 07:07 AM
437 grains is pretty close to a ounce of prevention I think:shock:

And every bit as effective! LOL! :D

bigboredad
09-20-2010, 11:18 AM
sounds like a couple pounds of cure as well[smilie=s: