PDA

View Full Version : 629 Locking Up

Mal Paso
09-11-2010, 12:05 AM
My S&W 629 started locking up. Thought it might be the Russian Primers. It turns out the firing pin is MIM (Sintered Metal) and the tip had cratered leaving a jagged edge which was hanging up in the primer dimple. Brownells has a real machined one from Cylinder & Slide that's .015" longer. Got it on order.

Dark Helmet
09-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Try polishing your firing pin,sometimes some junk gets stuck on them that won't just fall off- you know, from like cratered primers:mrgreen:

JIMinPHX
09-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Also check how much play your cylinder has to move forward to back. End shake is one of the most common causes of a jammed cylinder. End shake bushings for S&W revolvers are a common off-the-shelf item.

Dframe
09-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Also back to basics. Check under the extractor for particles of unburnt powder. It doesn't take much to lift the extractor star enough to jam up a S&W. If you have a hard arkansas stone, gently smooth it across the recoil shield to see if it's surface has been cratered by the pin striking it from behind.

Mal Paso
09-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I was actually posting that the Problem was Solved. I polished the Firing Pin that night with a diamond hone. I shot it Saturday at the County Range and rapid fire at my own range Monday with no misfires. What I was trying to get across was, IMO the late model Stock S&W Firing Pin IS JUNK and that an alternative made out of Solid Metal is available from Brownells.

Artful
09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Well glad you have it fixed, thank you for passing on the information. And all the others with problems and solutions they have encountered.

Dale53
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I have a couple of Cylinder and Slide "extra length" firing pins in two Smiths. One of them broke in about 1000 rounds. I have not dry fired this revolver as Cylinder & Slide does not recommend it.

So much for "Better" firing pins.

Cylinder & Slide has requested a look at the broken firing pin. I am sending it in. They responded to the report of failure promptly and I expect that they'll replace it.

FWIW
Dale53

Mal Paso
09-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Dale 53
Thank you. I may just trim that C&S Firing Pin. The fracture of the S&W MIM firing pin looked like a broken cast part. Maybe it's time for a lathe.