PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Winchester 94 trapper in 30-30

rhead
09-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I just got home with it. The only flaw in the finish is what looks like where a droplet of blood landed and did not get wiped off quickly enough. It is a 1981 vintage. I am anxious to get it to the range and check it out. No cross bolt safety, top eject, Looks to have seen very light use.

Any feedback on these as to likes and dislikes?

Thanks in advance.

hickstick_10
09-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Very loud, increased muzzle flash and theres more kick, to the point you will notice certain screws loosen on there own.

Still like mine and you will to.

The factory sights are TERRIBLE, change them out and put a receiver sight on if you want that gun to be more useful.

kingstrider
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Congrats on the new addition, the trapper models are really handy. I have a Centennial AE Trapper and an older pre-safety in 30/30 and the short barrel model is my favorite of the two. I put the scope on to dial in some cast loads but will probably take it back off as the factory irons are perfectly fine out to 100 yards. I've tried a few cast boolit designs but the most accurate so far is the RD TLC311-165-RF over a healthy dose of Unique. Have fun!
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/winnies2.jpg

jlchucker
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Very loud, increased muzzle flash and theres more kick, to the point you will notice certain screws loosen on there own.

Still like mine and you will to.

The factory sights are TERRIBLE, change them out and put a receiver sight on if you want that gun to be more useful.

I had one of those for a while--just like yours, top eject with no crossbolt safety. I shot it quite a bit, and it didn't seem much louder than my other 30-30's, and must be the powder I used (748, 3031, and RL7 at the time) I never noticed any more muzzle flash or recoil. Still, Hickstick, I have to agree with you about the front sight on not only that 30-30 Trapper I had, but on all of the others in other calibers that I've had as well--it's terrible! The factory rear sight is what they put on all 94's--not that great. The trappers really come into their own with a receiver sight. If I recall, the 30-30 that I had was not drilled and tapped for one, but it's no trick for any gunsmith to take care of that for you.

pietro
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
They're great rifles..............................

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056072/Trapper-1.jpg
(Here, my 1978 issue, below a Henry .22)

rhead
09-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Finally got a day off and tried it out. Function was flawless!! Accuracy was good. Between i.25 and 1.5 inches at 50 yards. NO LEADING!!!! That is about the limit of the shooter using factory leaf type sights. From the sight adjustment needed the previous owner was a southpaw. Next I will have to get a tang sight mounted. All in all I am happy with the new rifle.