PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it polymerized (FWFL).

Changeling
09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I read what gear said about the oils (Mineral/Castor) separating and wanted to rehash some things to stay on the safe side including the adding of the Stearic acid.

When mixing the Mineral & Castor oils in the correct percentages relative to the size of the batch one is making heat the Mineral oil to about 300 DEG, lower the heat a little and add the Castor oil. Keeping these two oils just under 300 deg. stir and cook for 1 hour.

Lower the heat to about 190 deg and add the Stearic acid. This should keep the Mineral/Castor oil mix "stabilized" in a polymerized state. I emphasized this because there seems to be a question of just the 2 oils staying polymerized!

Is the above correct, in it's latest form.?

Since I'm now making a gallon of oil I would rather not make a mistake[smilie=s:

geargnasher
09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Two cups will last you a lifetime.

I don't thing you understand what "polymerization" is. It is a "fattening" of the castor, the heat over time makes the molecular chains link up into longer chains (hydrocarbon monomers forming polymer chains) and that makes the castor molecules large enough to stay trapped in the beeswax pores.

Once this occurs, you ain't undoing it, so quit worrying.

Polymerization is NOT, repeat this very misunderstood thing, NOT homgenization of the two oils. It has nothing to do with getting them to stick together or stay blended. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, it doesn't matter either way. That's part of what the stearic acid is for.

I don't think it matters what temp you add the stearic acid, but what you said will be fine.

Worry less about the chemistry, and follow Wiljen's instructions for FWWFL. It's kinda hard to screw up as long as you follow them.

Gear

Faret
09-10-2010, 08:45 PM
If you add the stearic acid won't that firm up the oils kind of like jello?

Changeling
09-11-2010, 01:24 PM
It's not all for me Gear, friends/others got a little/lot rambunctious to say the least!

Thanks on straighting me out, I did have the two terms messed/mixed up, you were correct!

I'm not making the complete recipe for all of them, I changed that ****! I'm going to blend the oils and would like to stop right there if adding the "Steriac" acid will make it like Jello!
If it will stay in an oil like state I will go ahead and add the Steriac acid for them since I now have it.

The reason for this is I have to pass out so much, putting the oils in a small jar isn't such a big deal, however putting something like "Jello" in small jars would be a dam mess!

Hope you understand! I have to learn to say "No".

Faret, thanks for asking that question, I hadn't thought of it!