PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a Ruger mini 14 target rifle?

Ole
09-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I have a regular SS mini, circa 1987. It sees a lot of plinking duty. I know a lot of people don't like mini 14's but mine is just fine what what it is.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 20-22-24" target AR, but I stumbled across a deal for a used Mini14 target rifle for $600. It's a Houge model and it's tempting. I already have $$ invested in mini 14 mags, and thought this might be a good way to go.

Just wondering out loud if anyone here owns one of these or has shot one.

Arisaka99
09-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I dont own one, or have shot one, but I'd like to get a used one somewhere. Is it the one with the harmonic dampener built into the muzzle like a silencer?

Ole
09-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I dont own one, or have shot one, but I'd like to get a used one somewhere. Is it the one with the harmonic dampener built into the muzzle like a silencer?

Yup. It looks like they have two models, one with the Hogue stock and one with a thumbhole stock that is a little gaudy, but probably functional.

Arisaka99
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Are you looking at one in .308 or .223? The hd model is in .308 i believe.

RP
09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I have one in 223 added bipod and scope with reloads swagged cast or factory putting 5 shots under a dime is not a problem. Its heavy I have the one with the thumbhole and recoil is so light a fast on target follow up shot or another target is not hard. I have loaded a 20 round mag and place clay birds up laying flat at 100 yards, With a second or two between shots I can bust 20 out of 20 easy. But 600 for a used one may not be that great of a deal I check new price they may have gone up alot since I got mine. But with extras that may not be to bad

Ole
09-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Are you looking at one in .308 or .223? The hd model is in .308 i believe.

.223. Here is what it looks like:

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TargetRifleHogue/models.html

jh45gun
09-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Go with the AR when its all said and done its still a Ruger which may not be a great deal in the long run.

Besides that once you get an AR you can always later change uppers for more options and caliber choices. Cannot do that with a Mini 14 at least not with out a gunsmith.

Ole
09-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Go with the AR when its all said and done its still a Ruger which may not be a great deal in the long run.

Besides that once you get an AR you can always later change uppers for more options and caliber choices. Cannot do that with a Mini 14 at least not with out a gunsmith.

I must have missed the memo. What's wrong with Rugers?

mongo
09-11-2010, 01:35 AM
I had a Ruger mini14 .223 for about 20 some years. Shooting the tar out of it a couple times a month. The last time I cleaned it I saw a crack in the receiver. I called Ruger and asked how much for a new receiver, the person told me to send it to them UPS and they will look at and let me know. I got a leter from them about a week later that asked if I would accept a new rifle in return for the cracked one. A couple of weeks later my local shop called me. Ruger had sent me a new stainless ranch rifle FREE. A company doesnt get any better than that. Tom

JeffinNZ
09-11-2010, 01:54 AM
My friend has a Mini 14 target with the thumb hole stock and dampened. It is remarkably accurate. MOA easy. I far cry from a Ranch Rifle. The target model dangles very off hand also. Lovely balance.

Combat Diver
09-11-2010, 03:21 AM
The Target Mini 14 are supposed to be accurate. However, while the Mini 14 does have some add ons available try buying a spare bolt or trigger group. Ruger won't sale those things. You can buy any part for an AR15 built by several manufactors. Just something to consider.

Lloyd Smale
09-11-2010, 08:11 AM
my buddy must have gotten a bad one as the best his would do after a ton of load developement was about 2 inch at a 100. He ended up trading it off.

dualsport
09-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Ruger strength and durability is legendary. So is their service. If you were heading out to no man's land for the duration with no parts or service which would you pick? The Mini 14s are like that battery rabbit, they just keep going...

Recluse
09-17-2010, 03:45 AM
I've found that "Mini14" and "target rifle" are about like saying "Honest" and "Politician" in the same breath.

I have a Mini14 and while I'll never get rid of it, I rarely shoot it. It has no accuracy. Period. The only utility value it will possibly ever have will be at very short range in a SHTF scenario or as a club.

I figure my odds are about equal with either scenario.

That said, I like Ruger as a company (but not their bolt action rifles) and I like the design of the Mini14 and I like the reliability and I like the looks.

Other than that, I have little use for the things.

:coffee:

bob208
09-17-2010, 06:13 AM
how does your other ruger shoot? are you happy with it? if so then go with the new one.

or you can buy a over priced matel toy. if it breaks who you going to take it to if it was put together with parts form every where?

NavyEngineer
09-17-2010, 07:18 AM
My Ruger AC-556 can't compete with my ARs for long range accuracy, but it is a light, handy, reasonably accurate carbine. The three-round burst is fun for those who live in states that allow them.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1440/071lh.jpg

jh45gun
09-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Nothing if ya got a good one but Ruger is known for some crappy guns even in their good models.

man.electric
09-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Nothing if ya got a good one but Ruger is known for some crappy guns even in their good models.

You must be known for making an **** out of yourself on a regular basis. Around here those would be fighting words. My favorite revolvers are all Ruger or Ruger based. I have seen Weatherby Mark 5's that came out of the box with horribly warped crowns. By your brilliant cyphering, that would mean somebody would be lucky to buy a good Weatherby.

Every major rifle manufacturer is currently producing sub-MOA rifles. A guy might need to find the load that hits the sweet spot, but I would take any big companies new .308 rifles and expect sub-MOA performance out of the box. Even with as good as new rifles are, I am sure that everyone makes a mistake and lets a bad one out of the door. Hell, I still drive a Chevy even though they made a mistake of selling Chevettes in the '80's. I love Chevrolet's even though they made a model by mistake. Seeing as I make at least 5 mistakes before breakfast most days, I i'll never chastise a company for making one mistake

Heavy lead
09-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I like Ruger guns as well as the next guy, especially their single actions, and the Ruger No. 1, as well as the Big Magnum 77. However the regular 77 rifles are a 50/50 proposition, the mini 14's well if you like 3" groups and a bad trigger then they are fine. Probably good spray and pray rifle.
I do have one 22-250 77 target that after some work is a great rifle.
After I got comfortable with the AR-15 platform though, I wouldn't buy another Mini. Although that $600 price tag would be tempting, I like the ergonomics of that rifle.
As far as jr45gun making an **** out of himself, guess you better count me in too, he's right on the money with their quality control.
But then I'm a Ford guy, couldn't get rid of that last GM I had fast enough.

jh45gun
09-18-2010, 11:00 AM
You must be known for making an **** out of yourself on a regular basis. Around here those would be fighting words. My favorite revolvers are all Ruger or Ruger based. I have seen Weatherby Mark 5's that came out of the box with horribly warped crowns. By your brilliant cyphering, that would mean somebody would be lucky to buy a good Weatherby.

Every major rifle manufacturer is currently producing sub-MOA rifles. A guy might need to find the load that hits the sweet spot, but I would take any big companies new .308 rifles and expect sub-MOA performance out of the box. Even with as good as new rifles are, I am sure that everyone makes a mistake and lets a bad one out of the door. Hell, I still drive a Chevy even though they made a mistake of selling Chevettes in the '80's. I love Chevrolet's even though they made a model by mistake. Seeing as I make at least 5 mistakes before breakfast most days, I i'll never chastise a company for making one mistake

All I am doing is speaking the truth. I have had more than a few Rugers in the past so I have given them my fair share of money. I have had both good and bad so that is what I stated. Plus all you got to do is read some of the other post here and other forums to see that others have had issues with Ruger too. Money has always come dear to me I never had much and to save and buy a gun that is substandard to others gives ya a burr under the saddle after it is happened several times.

I have had much better luck with Chevy's then Ruger yet I have blown out more than my fair share of them old two speed automatics when I was a kid BUT that was my fault not Chevy. On the Ruger situation I never did anything to their guns but use them normally and they failed me not the other way around. Not by mechanical failure but by poor quality control or poor shooting guns.

I figure letting folks know that they could be buying a pig in a poke is not being an **** but being honest in the situation. I am not that product loyal that if I get burnt a few times I am not gonna holler ouch and let others know. I wish I would have had the internet before I bought some of them Rugers it would have saved me money and frustration on getting a bad product.

Before you say I should have sent them back I have seen threads here and other forums on just how slow Ruger is with that scenario too.

Some folks here fix the problem by gunsmithing their own guns or having some one else do it. I do not feel you should have to fix Rugers Mistakes unless you buy it knowing of its potential issues and are buying it a project gun to customize.

For what its worth Ruger has made more than one mistake. Their mini 14's are known for poor groups for a modern rifle. Their pistols have been known for issues with forceing cone issues and other issues and the Colt 45 ones poor accuracy. I have had several revolvers that were poor shooters. The Model 77 have been known for barrel problems and poor accuracy though if you get a good one they shoot great. There is a reason the 10/22 has had a cottage industry built around it for accessories and target barrels. It got so bad that Ruger had to build a target rifle to compete. I have had more than several 10/22's over the years and while they are nice guns other brands have shot better out of the box including their biggest competitor the Marlin 60 which shot rings around any stock 10/22 I ever had. The now collectors item 44 mag semi auto deer hunting rifle was both loved and cursed by those that had them they were a jammomatic but were loved when they did work.

jh45gun
09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I like Ruger guns as well as the next guy, especially their single actions, and the Ruger No. 1, as well as the Big Magnum 77. However the regular 77 rifles are a 50/50 proposition, the mini 14's well if you like 3" groups and a bad trigger then they are fine. Probably good spray and pray rifle.
I do have one 22-250 77 target that after some work is a great rifle.
After I got comfortable with the AR-15 platform though, I wouldn't buy another Mini. Although that $600 price tag would be tempting, I like the ergonomics of that rifle.
As far as jr45gun making an **** out of himself, guess you better count me in too, he's right on the money with their quality control.
But then I'm a Ford guy, couldn't get rid of that last GM I had fast enough.

Thanks Heavy Lead

Ole
09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I've found that "Mini14" and "target rifle" are about like saying "Honest" and "Politician" in the same breath.

I have a Mini14 and while I'll never get rid of it, I rarely shoot it. It has no accuracy. Period. The only utility value it will possibly ever have will be at very short range in a SHTF scenario or as a club.

I figure my odds are about equal with either scenario.

That said, I like Ruger as a company (but not their bolt action rifles) and I like the design of the Mini14 and I like the reliability and I like the looks.

Other than that, I have little use for the things.

:coffee:

The new target model is supposed to be much more accurate than the old style was. Looking at their design features, it should be no real stretch to assume the newer rifles would be more accurate.

Heck I own more Ruger M77's than any other type of rifle and they've always been GTG for me. My M77 target rifle (6mm PPC) will shoot .5" groups all day and fired the best 5 shot/100 yard group i've ever shot in a rifle @ .24". While i'll admit that's not enough to get it done in a benchrest competition, that's plenty accurate for a stock rifle with a 4x12x scope. [smilie=f:

Not going to get in a pissing match though. If you guys hate your Rugers, i'm not going to try to change your mind. :drinks:

MJR007
09-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Buds Guns $499. Good luck.

jh45gun
09-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Ole I hate them for a reason and I gave ol Bill Ruger lots of money over the years so its not like I bought one gun and started to pee and moan about it.

PatMarlin
09-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I LOVE my Mini 14. I don't like black rifles. I don't like the feel of shooting them. It's the preference of the shooter.

A Mini can be accurized to what ever degree you would like. I like making beer cans jump 50 to 75 yards off hand with mine., Good enough and I don't need bolt action accuracy out of it. Pop yotes at 100 no problem. It is one solid, fun shooting rifle.

PatMarlin
09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm all GM through and through as well ....:mrgreen:

jh45gun
09-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I LOVE my Mini 14. I don't like black rifles. I don't like the feel of shooting them. It's the preference of the shooter.

A Mini can be accurized to what ever degree you would like. I like making beer cans jump 50 to 75 yards off hand with mine., Good enough and I don't need bolt action accuracy out of it. Pop yotes at 100 no problem. It is one solid, fun shooting rifle.

Again seems like that is doing what Ruger should have done in the first place. Like 10/22's good rifles but so many other 22's beat them out of the box for accuracy.

PatMarlin
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah- the Mini 14 was never designed by Ruger to be a super accurate rifle. It was designed to fire in the most demanding conditions for military use. That it does.

There's a good Mini smith in Oregon who is very reasonable and specializes in the rifle. I have considered accurizing mine, but for what? I have other bench rest shooters. It is fine the way it is.

dualsport
09-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Pat, can you provide contact info for that gunsmith? I'd like to go back. Sold my Ranch Rifle, gave in to the sexy ar. It's a good gun, but I'm wanting to dump it and get another Ranch Rifle. I wouldn't be caught dead out in the woods hunting with a black rifle, it looks ridiculous and childish,(to me) and for a shtf gun I'll take a Mini any day over an ar, or better still an ak. You want to know it'll go bang without toting an armorer around with you. Don't need 1" groups from this type of rifle, for my purposes. Got a bolt for precision work. I don't know what to say to you GM deadenders. Ford didn't take a bailout, all I need to know. I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Chevy.

PatMarlin
09-19-2010, 01:31 PM
The only thing a girl with Ford can do for me is show me where one with a Chevy lives... :mrgreen:

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/

PatMarlin
09-19-2010, 01:54 PM
http://www.accu-strut.com/index.htm

http://www.patmarlins.com/1aacu.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/2aacu.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/3aacu.jpg

PatMarlin
09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't know what to say to you GM deadenders. Ford didn't take a bailout, all I need to know. I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Chevy.

Lordy- I just realized you're in Sacrademento... :groner:

No wonder... :mrgreen:

I grew up on Freeport and Broadway ..:mrgreen:

BruceB
09-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Purely from personal experience with a pair of NEW Mini-14s....

NVCurmudgeon and I each bought a brand-new Mini within the last year. We both shoot only handloads in our rifles, and both rifles wear scope sights. I don't recall exactly which scope is on NVC's rifle, but my "Deluxe" model (Circassian walnut, 16" barrel) wears a Leupold 1-4X Mark AR. NVC's rifle is a stainless/synthetic Ranch Rifle. I was intending to do a "monkey-see, monkey-do" after giving NVC's new Mini a workout, and buy an identical piece, but my dealer inveigled me into the "Deluxe" model for an extra hundred bucks or so....I love it! It also now has a British L1A1 flash-hider fitted, and hence will accept the L1A1 blade bayonet....in case of obstreperous fauna and an empty magazine.)

A few weeks ago, I had the great pleasure of watching NVC fire several CONSECUTIVE 100-yard five-shot groups of 1"-1.25". This was no fluke, and I find that level of accuracy to be quite acceptable. The *HONEST* one-inch groups were particularly nice to see! My Deluxe Mini doesn't do quite that well yet, but my load development to date has not been overly concerned with accuracy. Even so, I've had a few TEN-shot groups (fired fairly-slowly) of barely 1.25", and ten rounds in 1.5"/100 yards is routine. These were fired with the 55 Vmax and H335 powder. It's good enough that I killed a few ground squirrels out to 125 yards or so...

Incidentally, both of us are well past the three-score figure in age, which goes to show that boys just get older, not necessarily more mature (a BAYONET???)

Having owned a succession of Minis over many years (folks kept buying them from me), I have a distinct impression that the latest ones are a clear improvement over earlier ones.

(One of the earlier ones was sold to a Newfie friend. I TOLD him, "Terry, dagnabit, this is NOT a moose rifle!" The very next weekend, he killed a nice bull moose with one .223 round in the back of its head. His comment: "I thought you said it's not a moose rifle!". Riiiight. What could I say?)

jmsj
09-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Pat,
Those are too COOL !!
I've got one that has had some work done to it, it will shoot sub M.O.A. I've got another one that I put together for my daughter that my wife has claimed.
Tell me about the accu-strut, have you had good luck w/ them? jmsj

PatMarlin
09-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I haven't followed accu-strut in a long time. I know he's had one heck of a time bringing it into production and to market. Hmmm imagine that ...:mrgreen:

Many folks are very happy with them. I haven't tried one yet.

jh45gun
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Dualsport your O so wrong! Ford did not take a bail out but did get a pile of Government Loans to keep them afloat. So whats in a name Gov Bailout or Gov Loan it all comes down to Chevy, Chrysler and Ford all got money it just depends on what you want to call it.

45 2.1
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Accuracy with Minis:
1. The original 180 series were very accurate MOA rifles.
2. Then the redesigned gas system 181 series and above
were introduced. Accuracy was on the order of 2.5 MOA.
3. Present day, Ruger introduced the Target Mini.......... accuracy
is under 3/4 MOA (frequently 1/2 MOA) when the barrel
weight is in the right place. Its a good rifle. Most of the target
grade AR's will do the same or slightly better with really good
ammo. That really good ammo applies to both.

dualsport
09-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Thanks Pat, now I know where to go when I get another Mini. The other link didn't work for me. I admit to old guy syndrome and like the Mini partly based on it's looks, more 'traditional' in my mind. Those are some beauties in the pictures. As far as Fords and Chevys goes, I'll admit they all make some good trucks, I'm just set in my ways I guess. Maybe I was conceived in a Ford, kind of a genetic thing. Just to throw a monkey wrench in the deal, I had (stolen) a Keltec SU16 that wasn't too bad. Very reliable, ok accuracy, very light to carry. Ugly as hell.

m.chalmers
09-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I've owned a few "mini's" (13). Some shoot some don't. The new Target will shoot, but your paying for it. The biggest problem I have with the mini is the mag. cost to damn much! AR mags $6, Mini mags $20+

If you want it, buy it :)

Have fun!

PatMarlin
09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Accuracy with Minis:
1. The original 180 series were very accurate MOA rifles.
2. Then the redesigned gas system 181 series and above
were introduced. Accuracy was on the order of 2.5 MOA.
3. Present day, Ruger introduced the Target Mini.......... accuracy
is under 3/4 MOA (frequently 1/2 MOA) when the barrel
weight is in the right place. Its a good rifle. Most of the target
grade AR's will do the same or slightly better with really good
ammo. That really good ammo applies to both.

That explains alot. I think my Mini's a 180 series.

jh45gun
09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks Pat, now I know where to go when I get another Mini. The other link didn't work for me. I admit to old guy syndrome and like the Mini partly based on it's looks, more 'traditional' in my mind. Those are some beauties in the pictures. As far as Fords and Chevys goes, I'll admit they all make some good trucks, I'm just set in my ways I guess. Maybe I was conceived in a Ford, kind of a genetic thing. Just to throw a monkey wrench in the deal, I had (stolen) a Keltec SU16 that wasn't too bad. Very reliable, ok accuracy, very light to carry. Ugly as hell.

I don't fault any one for driving what they like that is a personal preference and you pay the money you should be able to get what you want and that goes for any product. But like I said I looked it up on the net and there was articles stating that Ford took out a bunch of Gov loans, Now while they were not called Bail outs and Ford did borrow the money at a different time frame then the when the bailouts were offered it makes no difference to me they still went to the Gov for help. It does not matter to me what a person calls it. What was the bail out but a Gov Loan. So when folks say I will only drive a Ford because they did not get bailed out it kinda irks me because that is not entirely true when it comes to getting Gov money its just how ya word it. Back to the vehicles every ones got their preference.

45 2.1
09-20-2010, 12:16 PM
That explains alot. I think my Mini's a 180 series.

At that time, the first three letters of the serial number told you the series.

PatMarlin
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
HeeHaw... I was wrong about my series. I just checked and it's a 186.

JIMinPHX
09-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Nothing that I'm personally aware of.

Over the years, I have owned more Rugers, than any other brand of gun. The ones that I bought new, shot so well right out of the box, that I never had to do ANYTHING to them, except for routine cleaning after use.

The worst one that I ever owned was a revolver that I bought very second hand for less than half the price of new. It had visible gouges in the cylinder face & the throats measured .002" larger than normal. I would say that was cause for badmouthing that particular well used gun, except that I held 1" groups @ 50 ft with it for years, shooting plain Jane factory .44 mag ammo with iron sights & wooden grips. It was only recently, when I started to cast for it that I even found out how "bad" the throats were. If that's how the bad ones are, then I'll settle for a bad one any day.

The only bad report that I have gotten first hand about a Ruger was from a friend of mine that bought a bolt gun in 7-08 about 2-years ago. He complained about the finish inside the barrel. Of course, this guy is the sort of fellow that is accustomed to custom built guns & Unertl scopes, so his standards are a little strict.

I can understand why a Mini would cost $600. I still haven't figured out why a plain Jane AR goes for nearly $1k. When I find an AR for around $500, I may buy one to try it out, but I'm in no hurry to do so. If I wanted to buy a .223 semi & I had $1k to spend, I'd buy a Mini & about $400 worth of ammo.

When you get that new Mini, I'd love to check it out. I have a couple of molds in that caliber & you are welcomed to spend a few hours at my place casting up a handful of those tiny little pills. A few pounds of lead goes a long way in those things.:Fire:

Combat Diver
09-21-2010, 02:00 AM
You can get a CMMG bargin bin AR for $6-650. I'm the opposite. I'll take a AR over a Mini-14 anyday. I've seen too many broken Mini 14 bolts in Texas in the early 90s to trust them. For a plinker a Mini is fine but it is not a battle rifle.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=161

Red squirrel
10-17-2010, 05:57 AM
I have a mini 14 target model with the laminated stock. It took some testing but i have it shooting 1/2 - 3/4 moa on a regular basis with handloads. The dampener does work and is fun to experiment with. Good gun if you can get it at the right price. An ar-15 it is not but it is a neat piece. No complaints.

Moonie
10-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I never thought I would have a black rifle. Early this year one of my sons wanted he and I to build one, he is a Marine. I relented and we built one. Total cost $640. You know, I actually really like the rifle. I've always been a bolt and single shot guy. All the parts for my 6.8 SPC upper will be here tomorrow, I will be hunting this season with a black rifle that I never liked and thought I would never own...

Ole
10-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Update:

I bought one with the gaudy stock a couple weeks ago. Got it last Monday.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/IMG_5366.jpg

Took it to the range with 5 different kinds of handloaded ammo on Tuesday. It shot pretty well. I had more than one 5 shot groups that were sub MOA. One group was 4 shots touching and one bullet hole about 3/4" low.

I tried 50 grain Sierra spitzers, 50 grain Nosler BT's, 65 grain Sierra BT's, 68 grain Hornady HPBTs, and 75 grain HPBT's. All loads I tried were with TAC powder.

It seemed to shoot the best with the Hornady 75 grain HPBT match bullets. That's good because I have a bunch of those.

It's going to take a lot more experimenting to get it where it will shoot sub MOA groups consistently. I don't mind. I like shooting. :mrgreen: I'll probably go back to the range tomorrow to try some different loads (most with H322) and see what I can do. I did get a new front bag setup that I want to try and I need to sight in my .25-06 because I had to rob the scope off it to put on this rifle.

I'll tell you it was a lot of fun emptying a 20 round mag into the 8" gongs @ 300 yards. Guy that was shooting from the bench next to me was really impressed. He said it looked like I was drilling a hole in those gongs because the bullets were hitting the same place.

Take care.

Matt

Trifocals
11-01-2010, 01:37 AM
I had a Ruger Mini-14 some years ago. After trigger work glass bedding, etc., etc., and considerable experiments with hand loads involving many different powders and bullets, I was finally able to get it to shoot 2"-21/2" 100 yd groups. That is 4 out of a 5 shot group. 1 of the 5 shots always enlarged the group to 5"-6". The trouble was, there was no consistency about which of the 5 shots was the flier. That rifle soon found a new home. It was replaced with an AR-15 which always shot sub MOA groups. I had a friend who purchased a new Ranch Rifle about the same time period. His shot patterns instead of groups. He wasn't too alarmed over the poor accuracy as he hunted coyotes and would "spray" and pray that an unlucky critter would get in the way of a bullet. I was not very impressed with the Mini-14.

PatMarlin
11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I've got a very nice Ruger Mini-14 stock available if anyone is looking for one. Factory Stock wood with nice tigering figure. Unusual compared to the stock straight grain.

RP
11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Ole I have one of those as you say with the gaudy stock I use 55 grain in mine and they work good dont have anything else to try in it. I did put a bipod on it yea I had to drill it but sure makes it nice to shoot.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/gun%20inventory/RUGERMINI14.jpg

derek45
11-01-2010, 08:09 PM
The AR is the way to go.

They are accurate and versatile.
I've never seen an AR that didn't shoot well with quality ammo.

You can buy uppers in different calibers, and swap then instantly

6.8mmSPC, 9mm, etc.

mags are cheaper and easier to find.

Accessories and spare parts are approaching the level of 1911 ( check out your Brownells catalog )

I use this one for IPSC 3-gun matches, and killin' coyotes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/BURRIS1-4x/IMGP5814.jpg