PDA

View Full Version : Scored a keith mold today!!!

saz
09-10-2010, 01:38 AM
I was out and about today and I stopped in a local pawn shop on the way home on a whim. On a table in the middle of the room was a bunch of boxes of boolit lube, cast boolits, dies, presses etc..... I found a couple of things, then I saw another gentleman walk up to the counter with 3 white boxes and a box with "saeco mold handles" written on the side. I went over to where he was and there were a few saeco molds in very good condition, and a set of RCBS and Lyman handles in there. After sorting through the box, I spied a 240gr keith mold- #62441. Opened the box and it was in great condition. Since I know the lyman handles wouldnt fit, I grabbed the set of RCBS handles. $30 for the mold and handles....... I almost fell on the floor. I am still excited.

After getting home, I realized that the pins for the saeco mold are a bigger diameter than the holes in the RCBS handles. Will there be an issue with opening the holes in the handles up a bit? All I have are Lee molds since I am still a rookie, and this being my first "high dollar" mold I figured I would share my good fortune and ask the opinions of the experts. I cant wait to fire up the pot this weekend and play with my new treasure!!!

missionary5155
09-10-2010, 02:39 AM
God morning
Good deal on the Good Deal !
I open holes and drill holes on any set of handles I care to and modify arms for thickness as I need. I figure it is mine and I have a need.
If I had a choice between a well used handle and a pristine one the older handle gets modified. Some fellers will pay a handsome price for a New set of handles.

nicholst55
09-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Good score! I thought I did good recently when I scored a 4-cavity Lyman 429421 (square lube grooves) with handles for $75 on GunJoker. You got the smoking deal, though!

Doby45
09-10-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.thehubsa.co.za/uploads2/20090704_153347_useless_thread-.jpg

Watermelon Wine
09-11-2010, 06:47 AM
That is a GREAT score!

I can't resist bragging here though, the best score I've had lately was at a garage sale 200 yards from my house, I almost NEVER go to garage sales, but did so on a whim, found a dusty old scope in rusty mounts that had "come off an old .220 swift". I asked how much it was, FIFTEEN BUCKS?

After an appropriate amount of 'umm'ing and 'ahh'ing, [smilie=1:I paid and left with a near flawless LEUPOLD fixed power 10X with parallax adjustable objective bell. The mounts were steel SAKO items.

The really cool part of the story is that I took it to the nursing home where I was having lunch with my son, father and grand-father to show it off and brag, when my grandfather asks to have a closer look... yep... his old scope from a sako 220 swift he sold to a bloke 10 or 15 years ago.

So it's back in the family again and it's only cost another 300 odd dollars (so far) to put a martini cadet in 22 K hornet under it! Don't tell the wife! ;)

Oh, and all this happened in Australia so $15 AU is only about $13 US!:drinks:

NSP64
09-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Good find saz. You might find that switching to cast iron molds will be different then casting with Lee's. There is a bit of a learning curve. You may have more rejects, remember to clean the mold good before starting, and oil after cooling. :lovebooli

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Great story Watermelon Wine,

btw I have made many different country wines...including Watermelon :)
Jon

saz
09-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Good find saz. You might find that switching to cast iron molds will be different then casting with Lee's. There is a bit of a learning curve. You may have more rejects, remember to clean the mold good before starting, and oil after cooling. :lovebooli

Boy you aint kidding! I heated up the pot last night and played around with it. Yeah, there is a way bigger learning curve with that mold. It is WAY heavier and taller than my 2cav Lee's. I didnt get any keepers with it, and I think there was some kind of protectant sprayed on it. It looked like a fluffy spray on graphite or something, cause it started to flake off and crumble as it got hot. Also, I think the washer on the sprue plate is shot as it would loosen every time I cut the sprue. I am going to give it a good cleaning in mineral spirits today and give it another try.

Also what do you guys oil them with when you are done? I completely forgot to do it last night, but there is no rust on it today. Learning, learning, learning....

ghh3rd
09-12-2010, 01:12 AM
I need a scope deal like that for my 45-70 Marlin :-)