PDA

View Full Version : H&G Moulds for Magma Machines

casterofboolits
09-09-2010, 09:22 PM
About twenty five years ago, I was out of work and supporting the family by casting boolits. I got tied up with a distributor in Toledo and sold him several hundred thousand Lyman 38-158-RNPB. I was able to support the family and pay all the bills for nine months till I got another job. The distributor was quite un happy when I told him I could no longer supply him.

Anyway, along the way I ended up with a worn out Magma automatic casting machine and several sets of moulds for it. Magma wanted $2800.00 to rebuild the thing, which I didn't have. I ended up giving it away.

I was doing some cleaning in the shop today and found a couple dusty boxes pushed to the back of a shelf. I opened one and found rusty mould blocks set up for Magma machines. I picked one of the worst out of the box and decided to try cleaning it up. An hour and a half later I had a good looking mould block that is perfectly usuable.

Here's the kicker, its an H&G #34 45-230-RNBB! :drinks: These moulds weren't converted, they were built for the Magma machines to start with. I like the nose shape of the 34 much better than the Magma 45-230-RNBB.

Looks like I've got two of the 34's, and one of the H&G #50 B's. There may be more tucked away somewhere.:bigsmyl2:

454PB
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Don't you love it!!!!

I've got so much stuff stored away that I do an inventory a couple of times a year, and always find something I forgot I had. It's like Christmas!

casterofboolits
09-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Yup, sure is fun at times and perplexing at the same time. Lots of "where the heck did that come from."

I haven't really done a real inventory in the last twenty five years. When I started casting and selling boolits in the mid 80's, a lot of the guys who cast thier own decided to quit casting and buy from me, so I took in a lot of moulds and other things as trades. Or at least make a list for the wife when I go kicking, bitting and yelling into the night. :Fire::Fire::bigsmyl2:

I started trying to inventory about two weeks ago just to see what has piled up over the years and put a lot of the unused up for sale or trade. Started with Lee one and two cavity moulds and then two cavity Lyman and RCBS moulds and even a three cavity Lachmiller 429-250-S W. How I ended up with four four cavity Lyman 429421 44-245-SWCKT I haven't a clue! :confused:

Just making a list and counting the brass is going to be a chore. At least I have a parts counting scale which will make counting the brass easy.

GabbyM
09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
If you're looking to sell those 34's I'd be interested in them. More than the two would be even better.

finishman2000
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I'll buy one as well

casterofboolits
09-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Sorry guys, the 34's aren't for sale at this time. I have three Master Casters of my own.

That said, Uncle Aurther has been beating me up lately and I'm thinking about putting the whole shebang up for sale.