PDA

View Full Version : Tryout of used mold

Jack Stanley
09-09-2010, 09:18 PM
A short time ago I bought a used Lyman 311299 in the gray and black box . Not that I need it mind you but the price was right I guess .

As it turns out , it drops bullets at .315" or a touch bigger though it's a bit out of round . Oddly enough , this one casts larger than the 314299 that is a new manufacture ...... gotta love that Lyman quality control huh? At least I got a decent design that oughta cover the range of surplus rifles I will use .

Today I had some time to fool around with the fat bullets in a 91/59 I'd like to shoot more . It has a groove of .313" and it will chamber ammo made with .314" sized bullets . A Hornady gas check and LBT lube with seventeen point five grains of 2400 worked pretty well today .

I was trying to wear out a batch of eleven S&B cases that already have been loaded twenty-five times . Today they got another six loads on them and I lost one more to a cracked neck . I guess I shoulda spent the time and annealed them again . I was really just gonna use up what bullets I had and see what 2400 would do so I think I did alright today .

Got a few bullets left and some once fired NNY cases so I think I'll load them tomorrow .

Jack

armoredman
09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Always fun!

MtGun44
09-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Just a point of info. The "N" on your "NNY" cases is actually a "P" in cyrillic
script which is the greek "Pi" symbol. So actually it is "PPY" headstamp, which stands
for Prvi Partisan.

Bill

Jack Stanley
09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks Bill , here's hoping that the other batch of Privi I have fits the shell holder better than this Privi that came in the Wolf boxes .

Jack