PDA

View Full Version : Where's the new Auction site???

Swagerman
09-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Been looking for the Cast Boolits Auction site to arrive, but guess its still a work in progress.

I hope you make a rule that sellers cannot pull the crappy enflated shipping and handling charges to stick it to a buyer.

Though, I know the regular members on this forum don't do that, but we may attract some ebay types that do...do that.

Jim

Gunload Master
09-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I have it setup and have some members here helping me test it.
I am also getting some graphics and such done up to make it more appealing for us.

I need to make sure it's running flawless before I release it for real time. I dont want people to have all their auctions up and there be a problem.

The shipping thing is going to be sort of hard to control, but I do agree with you. I personally don't like that either.

P.S. I am going to have FREE auction listings for at least a month so everyone can see how it works and sell some items. The fee's are going to be really low. But if you think they are overpriced, tell me and I will lower them to whatever you all think is fair. I'm not doing this to get rich.

Gunload Master
09-10-2006, 01:56 PM
If anyone wants a sneak peak, PM me and I will send you a link.

imashooter2
09-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't understand the "stick it to buyers" line. Check total price to include shipping and bid accordingly. You have to do that anyplace you buy through the mail.

Jon K
09-10-2006, 04:49 PM
To all of those who may feel that they are having it stuck to them, or the sellers who feel the got stuck on the shipping fees. I think that a direct link(shipping calulator) to USPS & UPS, FEDEX or whoever will be a way to eliminate any hard feelings from not understanding the shipping companies pricing. Let me give you an example- I just shipped a package to Ontario Canada Global Priority $7.50 usd and another package to Prince Albert, Canada Global Priority $30.40 usd. The big differance is the Postal Zone Code, both packages were 2-3#. It works the same way in the US (zipcode changes everything costs more to ship to certain areas of PA than to NY from Ca.)

It is hard for the average person without the link or having charts and scale to accurately estimate the shipping.
When bidding buyer beware, and when selling Seller beware, shipping costs are not always as easy as it seems and flat rate packages may not offer ample protection for the goods being shipped.

And packages over 6 lbs thats another story in itself.

I hope this thing takes off, because ebay and paypal fees combined have been averaging between 11-15% of the total sale. I feel auctions are great, because it reaches a large marketplace that cannot be done on a local level. Bottomline it allows me to keep shooting and buy guns, molds, dies etc. I sell what doesn't work for my application, and someone else gets a good buy. It's not sitting in the bottom of a drawer until I pass and it gets sold for pennies in an estate sale.

Jon

45nut
09-10-2006, 04:56 PM
http://gunloads.com/auction/shop.php?store=BUY-MY-CHIT-MAN&userid=3
I got a few items listed now that this is live to fire it off,,,everybody have fun.

Gunload Master
09-10-2006, 05:02 PM
A quick note before you go over there.

When you register, you have to check your e-mail to confirm your e-mail address. If you do not, your account is not active. If you don't get an e-mail, chances are it's stuck in your SPAM filters, So PLEASE check that as well.

All law's apply when buying / selling firearms.

If you see something that could be improved, please let me know. The more ideas, the better we can all make this become. Also, let me know more categories you might want to see.

Also, you can post auctions for FREE for at least a month. All special things like bold listing, front page listing, all those, require a small fee. If you think the fees are too bad, let me know and I can work them down.

Happy buying and selling.

http://auction.gunloads.com

rhead
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't understand the "stick it to buyers" line. Check total price to include shipping and bid accordingly. You have to do that anyplace you buy through the mail.

I agree 100%. An inflated shipping cost sticks it to E-bay not the buyer. E-bay collects a fee on the sale price, not the total including shipping. If the shipping is not listed I do not bid. If it is I subtract it from my max bid.

Gunload Master
09-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm hoping the fee's on this auction site make it so you don't have to have enflated shipping costs.

imashooter2
09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm hoping the fee's on this auction site make it so you don't have to have enflated shipping costs.

The fee's certainly look reasonable. How do you intend to collect them? I didn't see a credit card listing on the first page of the registration, but I didn't complete registration either...

mike in co
09-10-2006, 07:12 PM
guys it real simple...if a specific cost is not listed( a $ number or link to a calculator)...do not bid.....

i had a guy sell me some stuff at reasonable price, but wHere he lived he could not get reasonable shipping. it wasnt his fault, it wasnt mine..... i payed him for the product and told him to keep them..and to feel free to re sale them.

it was early in my buying on line.

now like i say...either list an actual cost or a calculator link ....

i've seen tons of auctions where the sellers were obviously making more money on the "shipping and handling" than on what they were selling.

be an adult and be responsible for what YOU do....ouch...

45nut
09-10-2006, 07:19 PM
On my auctions I left it to the buyer to choose how he wanted it shipped,,its their money and I will abide by whatever choice they want,,,nyself,,I dont like fedup,,,,some ppl dont like the brown truck. local drivers make the difference on how you are served. Whatever the choice I will endeavor to make the buyer happy. And asking before the auction close gives us both options.

Gunload Master
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
The collection part is still workin. Everyone has an account that they can build up which is usually due monthly. You can pay by cash, check, MO. It's setup to accept *cough* paypal right now. So if you wanted to, you could send me whatever amount you want and it will be credited to your account.. Thats a system I'm still working on.

Scrounger
09-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Yes, I do that too but the fact remains that the seller is trying to rip me off, and that fact just sticks in my craw and offends my sensibilities.. If someone has done a little bit of shipping, they should have some sort of idea on costs. On items of a pound or less, I just charge $5 and go Priority Mail; That covers 90% of what I've sold. On items over a pound, I roughly figure $5 plus $1 per pound. On guns, I charge $20 because a large part of that cost is insurance. UPS is a lot cheaper on insurance than the Post Office. Just about anything over 5 pounds gets sent UPS. It's sure no exact way to do business but I think it is fair; sometimes I lose a dollar or two, sometimes I save that much. I'm satisfied that I have been fair to buyers and haven't lost enough money to lose any sleep over.

imashooter2
09-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Yes, I do that too but the fact remains that the seller is trying to rip me off, and that fact just sticks in my craw and offends my sensibilities.. If someone has done a little bit of shipping, they should have some sort of idea on costs. On items of a pound or less, I just charge $5 and go Priority Mail; That covers 90% of what I've sold. On items over a pound, I roughly figure $5 plus $1 per pound. On guns, I charge $20 because a large part of that cost is insurance. UPS is a lot cheaper on insurance than the Post Office. Just about anything over 5 pounds gets sent UPS. It's sure no exact way to do business but I think it is fair; sometimes I lose a dollar or two, sometimes I save that much. I'm satisfied that I have been fair to buyers and haven't lost enough money to lose any sleep over.

Your sensibilities are too easily offended and we disagree on the seller's motive. So I guess we are right back where we started... I just don't understand the "stick it to buyers" line. :-D

Scrounger
09-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Your sensibilities are too easily offended and we disagree on the seller's motive. So I guess we are right back where we started... I just don't understand the "stick it to buyers" line. :-D

Technically, we can't really be sure of his motives, only the result. But if he's 'trying to cheat Ebay' of an honestly earned (AND PROMISED) fee, his morality is no longer in question. And if he'd cheat them, he'd cheat me. I just think it's better not to do business with people like that.

Scrounger
09-11-2006, 01:22 AM
http://gunloads.com/auction/shop.php?store=BUY-MY-CHIT-MAN&userid=3
I got a few items listed now that this is live to fire it off,,,everybody have fun.

I registered six hours ago, still no email to confirm. Does your computer take weekends off?

imashooter2
09-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Technically, we can't really be sure of his motives, only the result. But if he's 'trying to cheat Ebay' of an honestly earned (AND PROMISED) fee, his morality is no longer in question. And if he'd cheat them, he'd cheat me. I just think it's better not to do business with people like that.

I can see that point and it is your prerogative to take your business elsewhere. No need for any rules though... That sort of thing is self policing.

Buckshot
09-11-2006, 07:33 PM
..............In the past few months there have been some sellers on E-Bay trying to skate by paying fees to E-Bay via having a really low "Buy It Now" and then a $45.00 shipping charge. Some items are sold at auction and the seller has a fairly high shipping charge that is obviously 5 times the actual cost. However it IS PLAINLY shown. If interested you bid accordingly.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy ANYTHING, either through a bid or Buy It Now. These idiots either have cutomers who are even BIGGER idiots, or they aren't really selling anything and just like seeing their stuff on E-Bay.

Early on in my E-Bay buying career, while I was trying to aquire every machine tool accessory known to mankind, I failed (I FAILED, ME and ONLY ME) to read the admittedly several paragraphs of howsomevers, heretofores, exceptions & etc's the seller listed. He had:

A $5 service charge for orders less then $25.
A $7 minimum shipping charge.

I ended up paying a bit more then what I could have purchased the same thing for locally, tax included! What really chapped my buns was when I finally DID read all the hoopla, this seller flatly states that even if they ship you the wrong item, they WILL NOT re-imburse your return shipping charges. How about that stuff?

Personally I am very sensitive to what I charge for shipping in my little machining operation. When I first started I was VERY uneducated about what stuff cost to ship. I think I was charging $2 rtn shipping for a mould I'd hollowpointed. After paying out a buck here and two there and 50 cents and three dollars it suddenly dawned on me I needed to re-think this stuff.

I mean someone pays $6.05 to ship me a mould and I charge $2 to return it :-) I don't mind a bit here and there, but I sure had to do some re-aligning of what I was charging, and that's a fact.

E-Bay is a place for buyers. No one makes any money until someone buys something. Pretty much like a grocery store, gas station or a car lot. You shop where you want to and bypass those who you don't care to trade with.

I think I sent messages to maybe 3-4 sellers on E-Bay telling them that I was interested in stuff they had, but their shipping charges were a bit unreasonable. One guy told me that his carbide inserts were going for cents on the dollar so I should be happy!? Another guy said he knew it and that their account was all screwed up so when you put in your zip code it came up wrong. He said to go ahead and bid and he'd e-mail the shipping charges and if I thought they were too high he'd cancel the transaction and no hard feelings.

One thing to remember too. If an auction doesn't list a shipping price or have a shipping calculator, and you get stuck with an unrealistic shipping cost you have options. You can also contact the seller before the auction ends for a shipping price.

................Buckshot

Gunload Master
09-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I registered six hours ago, still no email to confirm. Does your computer take weekends off?
E-mails are sent instantly. Most of the time they are caught in people's SPAM filter, or their POP server's get overloaded and it takes a while to get the e-mail to the person. Such accounts as MSN and hotmail.

I will go and activate your account scrounger.

Scrounger
09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
E-mails are sent instantly. Most of the time they are caught in people's SPAM filter, or their POP server's get overloaded and it takes a while to get the e-mail to the person. Such accounts as MSN and hotmail.

I will go and activate your account scrounger.

Thank you. I just checked my spam filter again, still no email from you. More than 24 hours now and I know of no case where it took 24 hours to get an email to me. You guys might tell me that computers don't make mistakes till the cows come home and I'll never believe it. This slimey B-----d on the desk in front of me here screws up regularly, without any help from me.

Gunload Master
09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
I've learned that Hotmail, MSN, and Yahoo server's automatically place it in their own trash can. Something having to do with adding a logo, the place constitutes the e-mails as SPAM. Some get through, and some dont.. I'm hoping to be able to contact these guys and see what the deal is with it...

Gunload Master
09-11-2006, 08:14 PM
For MSN customers:

If you're using MSN Hotmail:
1. Click Options.
2. On the left side of the page, click Mail, and then click Junk E-Mail Protection.
3. Click Safe List.
4. Type an address or domain (a domain is the part of an e-mail address that follows the @ sign) from which you always want to receive messages, and then click Add.

That is a direct quote from MSN. The domain name you should us is gunloads.com or @gunloads.com.
Then you shouldnt have a problem with our e-mails.

500bfrman
09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
It's setup to accept *cough* paypal right now.

Why? I don't understand why nobody wants to use www.gearpay.com. Why do we want to support someone that will use that money to take away our guns? Doesn't make any sense to me. Kinda like we go to the store to buy bread, we see Charlton Heston and Rosie Odonnell both selling it. 90% of the people buy it from Rosie. go figure.

trooperdan
09-12-2006, 11:12 AM
500bfrman, The aution site can use GearPay. I am registered at GearPay but have yet to use it. Just a little uneasy about security there, just a feeling.

44woody
09-12-2006, 01:07 PM
I really think the best way to pay the site is just send the sits a postal money order to pay and forget paypal and make things simple on gun load master that is how I intend to do just my 2 cents worth 44Woody

Gunload Master
09-12-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a gearpay account as well.
I hate to use Paypal I do because of what they stand for. But it simplifies things ALOT for me. Consider this, would you want to get 200 $1.00 checks in the mail to go cash in, or would you want to automatically get $200.00 in an account that has all your information to cut and paste.. It just makes it that much easier for me when I do things.

Have a look here, it will explain some things:
http://gunloads.com/auction/displaynews.php?id=5

StarMetal
09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Well I hate to throw a wrench into this, but I think nobody, including myself, would like to have credit card theft. In fact one of the forum members just recently did and he believes that it was because of Paypal. Just recently, and I posted about this, McAfee just used my credit card with no authorization as they had my card number for virus renewal, but the card ran out and got a new expiration date and code number on the back of it. Yet they still used it. I don't want anything to do with Paypal or anything like it.

Willy I understand what you said about getting all those little checks, but would you like to see any of the members have their credit card accounts hacked, possibly because of services like Paypal?

Joe

felix
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Plain ol' check is fine by me. If anyone gets worried, it is much better to electronic xfer the amount from one account to another. This is done at the bank of the buyer, and requires the bank number of the seller. ... felix

imashooter2
09-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I hate to use Paypal I do because of what they stand for. But it simplifies things ALOT for me. Consider this, would you want to get 200 $1.00 checks in the mail to go cash in, or would you want to automatically get $200.00 in an account that has all your information to cut and paste.. It just makes it that much easier for me when I do things.

My opinion, worth every cent you paid for it...

You'll never please everyone. Let them that want to use the service use it by the rules you set down. Let them that don't sit it out with no hard feelings.

50 Caliber
09-13-2006, 04:56 AM
I buy and sell on E-bay all the time and never got "Stuck" with over priced shipping! read the whole add, and only buy from folks with good feed back. I am completely happy with my e-Bay experience so far.

Gunload Master
09-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Here's an image if anyone wants to link to the new auction site:
http://gunloads.com/auction/images/glauctionbanner.jpg

http://gunloads.com/auction/images/glauctionbanner.jpg

500bfrman
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make your job harder. I wouldn't want to get a million 1 dollar checks either. It just appears that if people aren't forced to use gearpay they won't. Until people step up and say you have to use gearpay to pay me we just won't do it. Sorry, not trying to cause problems, I just get sick of us giving money to the enemy

Gunload Master
09-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I would just assume have many options here to make it easier for everyone. Some on here like to use paypal, some don't. Some like to send checks, some find that as a hassle. By having the options, it will please most people.