PDA

View Full Version : What are used lead wheel weight worth per pound.

u.p. north
09-09-2010, 08:44 PM
hey guys wondering what you guys pay for used lead wheel weights per pound. also can i can pick up lead ingots the type plumbers use to take there journeyman's test. for $5.00 each they are approx 5 to 6 pounds each. thanks in advance guys. also am new to the forum and find this whole site interesting.

JJC
09-09-2010, 09:13 PM
It looks like .20-.40 per pound from what I have seen here, and $25-$50 per 5 gallon bucket. You can use the search this thread feature at the top right of the page also. I have been lucky not to pay yet keep your eyes open, welcome aboard

lawhetzel
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
It has been a while since I bought any plumber's lead -- until today. I stopped at a local scrap yard and asked about lead. He had 44 pounds of roundish molded ingots that looked like and seemed as soft as the last plumber's lead I had bought. He let me have the whole lot for $5.00. I figure that it will make over 1200 round balls for my .54 ML. Or 1000 300 grain REAL's for the same.

Papa Jack
09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Two years ago, I bought a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights from a tire shop, the owner asked $20.00.....I suppose that was a lot, but I was happy with it.
Lots of local salmon and sturgeon fisherman around here casting their own sinkers so they keep the ww's bought up....."PJ"

RKJ
09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I paid 35 cents a pound awhile ago. I live in the Missouri lead belt and I was talking with a guy who works one of the mines, he said that pure lead was going for 98 cents 2 weeks ago.

geargnasher
09-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Right now, like always, WW are worth what you're willing to pay for them. The market is commanding about 50 cents to a dollar a pound depending on your circumstances. Problem is, in many places and for various reasons, they aren't available locally at any price. I live in a county with 37 shops that have tire balancers (I have checked every single one), three automotive salvage yards, and numerous rednecks hiding in the woods, between all of these things and close contact with five people who collect and sell scrap for a living, I have NO access to wheel weights here. I have picked more up off the streets than I have aquired locally in the last two years. My solution is to buy lead from individuals and sponsors on this forum, and that averages about a dollar a pound delivered.

Gear

Wots
09-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Yesterday, scrap yard @ 30 cents per #.

fatelk
09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
What geargnasher says is right, at least that's been my experience around here. Actually I wouldn't say any price, because I had two quote me 75 cents/lb and one say a dollar. Not remotely worth it when you can get ingots delivered for $1/lb.

Every once in a while you might stumble across a good deal, but I've completely quit looking, especially since I stumbled across a bunch of linotype at a very good price. At the rate I cast, I have a lifetime supply.