PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on perfect HP mold for .40 S&W pistol ~180 gr

strangwn
09-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I am seeking advice on the perfect .40 S&W HP mold for auto pistols in this caliber. I understand that I may need to have an off-the-shelf mold converted to HP. I am most interested in something around 180 gr and want to get good expansion and weight retention. Would appreciate advice on alloys and load data. Would like to be able to achieve the maximum velocity that the alloy will tolerate within reason.
Also, I have a supply of Rainier HP plated 180 gr projectiles and would like to have advice concerning loads and expansion characteristics.

randyrat
09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm not so sure on a mold. Lee makes em and they can be modified, there are good people right here on this forum that can do it.

Loads= Clays............ 3.5 somewhere around 850 ft/sec
= Bullseye.......5.5 """""" 1000 ft/sec
= Unique.......6.4'''''''''''''''1000 ft/sec (best choice)
****Work your way up to these loads and use good brass***
****hopefully you have a good supported chamber****

Use a harder alloy like #2 or water dropped WWs

Other powders to consider; IMR 4756 or maybe #5 (possibly the best choices)

There that's a good start for you.

randyrat
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I had to add to this. Using good brass for the hotter loads maybe 3 reloading then they went into the plinker load bucket.
Dropping too far with Unique it will burn dirty as heck don't let it discourage you from Unique.

Advantage to unique it's tough to double charge a case with it. That's something you don't want to do with the forty.

shootinxd
09-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I will be watching for an update,as I am having 40cal issues.What gun,bore slug sized ect?

strangwn
09-10-2010, 10:00 AM
The present pistol involved belongs to a friend and I don't remember the model. It is one of those S&W plastic pistols, not full-sized, somewhat compact, ~3.5" barrel, probably one of the M&P models.
I have not slugged the barrel/throat, but will do that before purchasing a mold. Does anyone know if these barrels have a consistent groove/throat dia?

Doby45
09-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't believe there are ANY ready made 180gr 40cal boolit molds. But, you could go with the following mold and then have it HPed by Buckshot and it should drop you into the HIGH 180s. If you had the BB shaved down to a PB it would prolly drop you right at the 180 to HIGH 170s mark.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=432274

geargnasher
09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Lee two-cavity moulds CAN NOT be hollow pointed due to the alignment pins at the bottom. I suppose Lyman-style pins could be installed, but Erik doesn't even offer modifications to Lee moulds because they are considered expendable.

I personally don't see why you would want expansion with a .40, the TC boolit from Lee or Lyman is based on a style approved for use by NATO after the HP ban on military ammunition. The TC is highly effective on tissue destruction and is the next best thing to a HP.

The .40, as I so often harp here, is that it is a truly Magnum level round, and you will have best results at full-power with SLOW powders and HARD boolits with GOOD lube, that means HS6, water-dropped wheel weights at 20+bhn, and White Label Carnauba Red.

When you load for this caliber, treat it like a .44 Magnum. You're asking a lot from plain based lead boolits at mid-thirty-thousand PSI, and you have to have perfect boolit fit, alloy that won't skid the rifling, build pressure slowly with slower burning powder, and use high-pressure, high-velocity boolit lube. And keeping with the .44 Magnum analogy, load your lighter or target loads the same way as you would with a .44: Softer boolits, faster powder, some even use tumble lube. I would suggest Universal as a good medium powder and Red Dot or similar for even milder stuff.

Hard boolits like that preclude the use of HP-grade alloy, in fact hard lead just fragments in a HP configuration, which is the opposite of what you want.

I've worked up literally dozens of load batches for an M+P .40 trying to get the best of accuracy, reliability, and no leading in the barrel. I found it likes thin brass (Win), and hard boolits sized at .402". You may have trouble with failures to go to into battery after several rounds with .402" WDWW, you can either seat deeper (and your groups will open up considerably) or size .401" and live with a slight bit of leading that doesn't really accumulate even after a few boxes.

Have fun, that gun can make you pull your hair out!

Gear

orangezuk
09-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I load a lot of .40cal & 10mm. My Para and 1911 clones cycle very well with PB but the springfeild XD and HK can throw tantrums if things aren't just right.
Was just wondering why HP?.

180g TC /5.5 promo (econo red dot)
180 38-40 cowboy boolit/6g WST

strangwn
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
My friend seems to be dead set on wanting only HP's, but looks like I may have to convince him that TC may be the way to go.

Ben
09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
strangwn :

2 PM's sent to you. Did you get them ?

Ben

geargnasher
09-11-2010, 12:26 AM
My friend seems to be dead set on wanting only HP's, but looks like I may have to convince him that TC may be the way to go.

Simple solution here, tell him to buy jacketed hollow points for you to reload. He needs good copper-jacketed bullets to control expansion at .40 velocities anyway.

Remember casting HPs to feed and automatic, especially with only one cavity, is an ungrateful job, you need a Lee six banger 175 grain TC with single lube groove. To make cast HPs work in the .40 you will most likely need to use an alloy like air-cooled clip-on wheel weight metal mixed 50/50 with either pure lead or stick-on wheel weights for about a 10 bhn projectile. Keep these at about 1,000 fps with a medium pistol powder (Unique/Universal or equivalent), which is mid-range on the load data. If you do this, you're cutting it's legs off, but if you don't they will blow up and lead like crazy. You'll have a much more deadly weapon using hard TC slugs at 1150 fps.

Gear

strangwn
09-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Ben,
Yes, I did get your PM's. Thanks for some great reading and info.

strangwn
09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
geargnasher,
What do you know about plated HP's, such as Rainier 180 gr? Do you think they will handle and expand properly at 1150 fps?

fredj338
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
RCBS makes a 185grRNFP mold that will HP nicely, cast of 50/50 ww/lead, probably get you 175gr-180gr final weight w/ a shallow cup ponit (my choice for good expansion w/o fragmentation). Close enough IMO. Erik or Buckshot can handle that.