PDA

View Full Version : 12Ga slugs

Beekeeper
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I am probably the worst person in the world when it comes to using search.
In all the time I have been here I think I have had 1 succesfull search.
So even tho I know it has been asked at least 100 times I will ask again.

I want to load some 12 Ga slugs.
Both of my 12 ga shotguns are smooth bores.
One is a modified barrel and the other is a full choke.
Both are Winchester model 12's

Is it doable or should I look for a SxS double coach gun?

Jim

diehard
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Both shotguns are "doable" depending on your loads and the slugs used. I have a JC Higgins model 20 with a peep sight installed on its modified barrel, and I would put it up against any other smoothbore if the right slugs are used. That gun loves the cheap foster slugs from Estate and Winchester, and some variations of my handloaded Lyman (sabots). It also has many slugs it doesn't shoot worth a hoot. I also have shot hundreds of slugs through a modifed choke tube on a Mossberg 500, and again while some shoot better than others, some loads seem to prefer the tighter choke over the IC and Cyl (barrel) I have. Again, you have to shoot a bunch of loads to find out what your gun likes.

I sometimes shoot handloaded Lee slugs from a SxS Stevens 311 with full and modified barrels, and as long as the slugs are pure lead, I have no worries. Accuracy is good at short range. Also, I can get 50 yard "cloverleafs" from the Fiocchi Brenneke-style slugs through my 500 with a full choke tube. Although I have done it, I wouldn't advocate you shoot really hard cast slugs through a full screw-in choke tube though. Never know if you slugs might damage the choke.

Although this is a long answer to a short question, the main point is that either of your guns might work just fine. Test a lot of loads and see if you are happy with what you get for results before you buy a coach gun. I would spend money on good sights (like rib mounted sights, a scope, or a peep) first.

BTW: my Coach gun will shoot some slugs just fine, but accuracy is limited by the tiny bead sight, and the fact that one barrel tends to shoot to a different point of aim than the other.

missionary5155
09-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Greetings
If you are using those Hollow Cavity type there should be no problem as the hollow permits the slug to collaps . I have shot them out of my old Iver Johnson 32" Full choke with no problems.
The Modified barrel will possible group better.
If you are going to load anything that has a thick walls and nose or those key slugs they may offer up a bit of resistence in that full choke.. I would try whatever in the Modified first as a precaution.
If you are loading full bore size some lube on the outside of the slug will aid in keeping leading to a minimum.

wcp4570
09-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Beekeeper
Here is a cool search trick for you to try. In stead of using search tool on castboolits go to Google and enter the search criteria that will only look on castboolits.gunloads.com. Google will only return hits on the site you enter. Here is an example of searching for the word "slug".

slug site:castboolits.gunloads.com

The search for slug returned 18,100 hits on Castboolits.gunloads.com alone.

Notice that following the word site: you do not have to put http://

Here is another example of searching for a model 3913 on the Smith-Wesson forum.

3913 site:smith-wesson.com

I use firefox so I can use tab browsing and logon to the site on one tab and use the second tab for my search, that way when you click on a link that Google returns you are already logged on.

This is way cool way of searching a specific word on a specific site. Give it a try, I use this all the time.

WCP

Beekeeper
09-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the 7/8 oz and 1oz slug molds from lee and once it cools off and I set the casting booth back up will make some slugs and give them a try.

Jim

dogbert41
09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
If you open this door, you may never return! Welcome to a whole new avenue of casting, loading and shooting! And while your at it, you might try gettting a Lee .690 ball mold. They're the easiest to cast and a real hoot to shoot!

JIMinPHX
09-21-2010, 09:55 PM
I use the 1 oz Lee slug with a pink wad & 18 grains of Green Dot in a 2-3/4" 12 ga shell. Velocity is around 1,000 fps. Recoil is quite modest. Accuracy is minute of pie plate & usually minute of coke can @ 40 yards out of a smooth 18.5" cylinder bore. I get kind of a lot of powder fouling from a load that lite, but it's a fun little shell to play around with if you have some dead soft lead that you don't mind throwing down range.

mac1911
09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
I have been playing around with the lee 1oz slugs and green dot powder also.
1oz lee slug, currently 19.5 grains powder, winchester pink wad, remington STS hull, CCI 209 primer.

I am looking for a target load for use with my slugs. I have a winchester and reminton smooth bore slug barrel for each. I found 18grains of green dot to produce some off shots and large groups. 19.5 grains and things seem to be tightening up a bit. @ 25 yards I have began to get consistant groups of about 2 " @ 50 yards I still seem to get a flyer and random loose groups ? Im looking for a low recoil target round so I may stop @ 20 grains. Me next step is a rifled barrel if I can find one cheap.