PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

David R
05-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Today I shot a 1.015" (give or take) group with my 22-250 and Lyman cast Boolit mold with GC. @ 100 yards off Da bench.

18.0 grains SR4759, 57.5 Lyman GC with bore riding nose, poured from pure lynotype, lubed with RCBS boolit lube. Sized to .225", OAL 2.340"

I'm so proud!

beagle
05-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm happy for you. The .22s are accurate with cast. I have a bughole over the bench. Nice little .22 cloverleaf with one about an inch out of the group.

I'm shooting bunches of .223 cast right now. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the flyers are caused by shedding gas checks for the most part.

Before I quit this madness, I'll set up a 4 X 4 foot piece of posterboard at 15 feet and fire about a hundred bullets through it. The shed gas checks ought to stand out on that white cardboard like mouse droppings in a sugar bowl./beagle

44man
05-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Beagle, I have to wonder if thats why my gas checked boolits shoot good. I make the molds so I have to beat the checks on by tapping the boolits on my bench, then running them through the Lee size die. No way to get them off! Most checks will be sloppy and depend on the little crimp to hold them on.

Willbird
05-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Try gluing the checks on with Loctite black max, it is strong enough to hold a percussion cap on the nose of a 22lr boolit all the way to the target.

Bill

drinks
05-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I do not load .22's but I do go from .243 to .45-70, I put gas checks on all bullets except .38sp and .45acp, I also make my own sizer dies to make the bullets right for the bores.
I cut the groove with a cutoff tool on my mini lathe and make it a really tight fit, then use Hornady Unique paste wax lube, just swipe my fingers across the lube then fondle the bullet while putting on the check and then through the sizer die.
Have never had one come off that I know of.
Have very good accuracy with most everything this way.
Don

Bass Ackward
05-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Today I shot a 1.015" (give or take) group with my 22-250 and Lyman cast Boolit mold with GC. @ 100 yards off Da bench.

I'm so proud!

David,

Congratulations. Looks like you are really on your way. But .... it was almost too easy .... wasn't it? Now you are going to lose interest unless I help you out. OK, here goes.

When you came down, you need to increase velocity and still pick up accuracy. No offense, but a 1" group for my 45 is a bad day. And a 22 should be able to beat a 45.

So let's see what you can really do when you try. Back to the bench!

David R
05-14-2005, 11:41 PM
David,

Congratulations. Looks like you are really on your way. But .... it was almost too easy .... wasn't it? Now you are going to lose interest unless I help you out. OK, here goes.

When you came down, you need to increase velocity and still pick up accuracy. No offense, but a 1" group for my 45 is a bad day. And a 22 should be able to beat a 45.

So let's see what you can really do when you try. Back to the bench!

I think to improve more, I need to weigh my boolits, stop full length resizing, and have my rifle bedded. I am looking for a digital boolit scale, but..... I will be shooting the pistol siloettes (needs an H in there some where) this summer, they are huge. 1" is far more acurate than I can shoot off hand. It took me 9 shots to break 5 clay birds at 100 yards. The rams have to be 8 to 10" tall, and they are wider than that.

Now that I have a load I can trust, I can work on my off hand shooting which is what I like. I have had enough of the shooting bench for a while. I just can't bring my self to shoot those fancy jacketed boolits at 3600 fps to punch holes in paper.

Acording to Lyman hand book and my calculator, I should be right around 2370 fps right now. It is costing me aobut $.07 per shot. Plus a whole bunch of time. I do have a chrony, but have not clocked these yet.

Now my daughter is interested in centerfire, so out come the 223 and I start all over again.

What I have right now is a little heaver boolit than a rimfire, a little faster, a little more accurate and a whole bunch more fun.

I will add .5 grains powder and see what happens. If its better, I will add another .5.................... I did try 28.5 gr of 748, should have given 2700 fps. Couldn't keep 5 on a 12 X 12 target.

David R
05-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm happy for you. The .22s are accurate with cast. I have a bughole over the bench. Nice little .22 cloverleaf with one about an inch out of the group.

I'm shooting bunches of .223 cast right now. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the flyers are caused by shedding gas checks for the most part.

Before I quit this madness, I'll set up a 4 X 4 foot piece of posterboard at 15 feet and fire about a hundred bullets through it. The shed gas checks ought to stand out on that white cardboard like mouse droppings in a sugar bowl./beagle

I wonder if that is the cause of my fliers. Last night I shot a 1 3/4" 10 (9) shot group with ONE 5" away. it was not my first shot either, it was the second.

Hmm bigger sizing die, less crimp on the gas check. Hmm

JohnH
05-15-2005, 12:04 AM
..... I will be shooting the pistol siloettes (needs an H in there some where)

silhouette aka sillywets

siloette.....miniature silo for miniature farm sets ;)

Buckshot
05-15-2005, 06:40 AM
............David R, very excellent work[smilie=w:. You have a right to be proud. I like that, "1.015" (give or take) ". HA! Ya got the measurement out there to a thou, where's your give or take!?[smilie=s:

Just ignore BA he's wanting you to sweat. But in actuality that's what it's going to take. You've got it roughed out and now it's time for detailitis to set in. You'll need to dial it all in and eliminate all the variables.

You're going to need to ruthlessly scale all your slugs into 0.1 gr groups. Then it's time to fully match prepp your brass (which includes scaling them too) and do some experimenting with primers. You can do your charge increases by the half grain to a point, but then you'll have to come back and split that into tenth grain increments.

Good work in any event. BTW, when you showed your wife, did she say, "That's nice, Did you carry out the trash?"

............Buckshot