PDA

View Full Version : Recent results from MiHec #68 200 gr SWC

Dale53
09-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I took a guest the the range today (from the Forums). We had a really good time. The weather was absolutely WONDERFUL! It started out in the fifties and ended at about 7O degrees with blue skies all around.

I had a good day, started off with the MiHec #68 ahead of 4.5 grs of 5066 (about equivalent to 4.0 grs of Bullseye). I was shooting standing at 25 yards on the 25 yard slow fire target outdoors.

I shot a couple of targets in the low nineties and then shot my best of the year:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img104.jpg

Now, lest I give someone the wrong idea, my 11th shot (1st shot on the next target) was an "8":groner:!!

By the way, this was shot with my 4" 625-8 Jerry Miculek Special with a Simmons Red Dot sight. This revolver has a superb trigger. LOVE it!

I am going to hang this one on the wall. I had a couple of my fellow shooters to witness it. It scored 97x100 with 3 "x's". That's nothing to you dedicated, died in the wool NRA 2600 shooters, but for me it was probably the best target this year.

Dale53

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Good for you Dale!

But . . . on the target you wrote #503 . . . instead of #68 . . .

I still have not shot my #68's yet . . .

Dale53
09-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I realized that after I had posted the picture. Oh well, such is life...

Those #68's are arguably the best bullet yet for the .45 ACP, whether a 1911 or a revolver.

Dale53

Wayne Dobbs
09-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Sure wish there was still 5066 available. I've been told by lots of old timers that it was a great bullseye powder. That would have been a 100 with a high X count if you'd fired it on a B-8 bull!

Dale53
09-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Wayne Dobbs;
In the last couple of years I went through the last three pounds of 5066 available in the Western World (hah!). At any rate, it was highly favored by Bullseye shooters and I have to agree that it was an excellent choice.

However, I have used Win 231, Bullseye, and now am using four lbs of Dupont PB I got for about $2.00 per lb (opened caddy from an estate) that shoots just as well. It takes some more (5.1 grs compared to 4.5 grs) but seems to burn well and certainly shoots well.

Years ago, E.H. Harrison of the NRA Technical staff did a machine rest test of wadcutters in the .38 Special and choice of powder didn't seem to be a large factor in precision shooting. Just use a powder that measures well and in the right burning range for the use and you should be in good shape. Availability in these troubled times of under supply can also be a factor.

Dale53

That'll Do
09-13-2010, 11:56 AM
I've been extremely please with this boolit. It's been hard to find a bad load, just about every powder that is appropriate for the 45acp has worked wonderfully. I primarily use Bullseye or W-231, using classic bullseye loads with great success in my Kimber Custom Target II.mm.

This mold was worth every penny.

Dale53
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
>>>This mold was worth every penny. <<<

AMEN!! You can take that to the bank!!

I have shot excellent targets with the H&G #130 and the Saeco #68 as well as the original H&G #68. The Mihec H&G #68 clone offers not only good shooting but is arguably the best functioning SWC ever designed. H&G did serious design work to insure that the bullet nose strike of the 1911 barrel ramp of the #68 was the same as 230 grain Hard Ball. THAT is the characteristic that separates this GREAT design from several other GOOD designs.

I got a real bonus when I discovered that it shot EXTREMELY well from a revolver as well as a 1911 platform.

H&G moulds (no longer made:violin:) made the best moulds of the times. However, MiHec's six cavity aluminum mould allows us to use a wonderful design in a material (aluminum) that is low fatigue. I have a six cavity iron H&G mould and it actually weighs nearly 5 lbs. That is just TOO much of a good thing. I can run two pots (21 lbs each of finished bullets) in actual casting time of 1½ hours. That's 42 lbs of bullets (just under 1500 bullets) in that relatively short period of time. That is REAL production. At my age, minimum effort and minimum aggravation that results in that kind of production is MOST welcome. Further, you cannot beat the ability of a great machinist using the tools available today, to turn out a bullet mould where all six bullets are nearly identical.

Dale53