PDA

View Full Version : Question about hammer/trigger engagement

oldracer
09-09-2010, 02:35 PM
In the BPCR forum I posted that I had replaced the trigger spring in my Remington model 1 with the .050 music wire which had made the pull soooooo much nicer. I also stoned the trigger and also the hammer where the two engage and the hammer break is clean and crisp. I had the gun all reassembled and the tang sight rechecked with my laser bore sighter and noted I could fold the sight back and then full cock the hammer. After cocking I could move the sight back to vertical and be ready to shoot.

Now the weird part, as I had dry fired the gun multiple times and each time with the sight up, but when my neighbor came over to see how much better the spring was, I could NOT raise the sight fully vertical? The hammer felt like it had to be pulled further back than before to fully cock the gun? Whoa, quite a weird thing and I opened the gun this morning and the hammer and trigger both look fine with no bent parts. I even put the stock spring back in and the hammer interferes with the sight? So I thought so I figured I would ask here what might have happened, anyone seen this before?

missionary5155
09-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Good morning
Is it possible your tang sight shifted foward ?
Are one of the tang mounting screws long enough to interfere with the hammer spring ?
Me I would remove the sight and cock the hammer with the stock mounted. If there is no problem you know the sight and or sights screws are interfering.

oldracer
09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. The sight had a hole and tapered screw in front and adjustable slot in the rear so the sight itself can not shift. I just checked after removing the sight to see if it could be screw interference as you suggested and the problem is still there w/o any screws?

My wife suggested, maybe you did NOT really do what you thought you did and never cocked the hammer while the sight was up? That could always be a possibility as I am getting older faster than I like to admit and then last evening I talked to a local shooter named Doug Knoell who was pretty good with these guns and he asked if the hammer had been trimmed or bobbed and I checked and it had not. He said it will probably need trimming? So I plan to visit him today as he is still doing gunsmithing and let him look at it.

John Taylor
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I have run into a few rollers where the hammer pin and breach block pin are slightly different size. Switching pins made a difference on lockup and how far the hammer had to go for cocking. This would be a very rare problem caused mostly on military guns where parts were switched form one gun to another.
On your rifle you may want to "bob" the hammer so it will clear the sight. This is done quite often on the Military actions because the hammer was made with an over size thumb piece.

oldracer
09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks John, I had thought of the pin differences and even the possibility that they might be not exactly round but after miking them the sizes are the same so anyways I put it back together and went to visit Doug Knoell out in Santee today and he said we could bob the hammer but close inspection showed a filled in screw hole just behind where the front one was so he decided to drill it out and also increase the screw size from 6x to 8x which he said will make the tang sight sit a lot more stable. That is the size he uses on his championships gun so it seems good to me.

He also said the trigger and hammer needed work so he did that and then hardened the wear surfaces and stress relieved the parts and my trigger pull is not about 3.2 pounds and has a great feel. While he was working along I kept pumping him for info and got a lot of years worth of info this afternoon and the time and money was really well spent. I got a couple blocks of his bullet lube and a hundred once fired brass from him so as soon as my mold and dies get here I can do up some loads and try the gun.

Anyways the tang sight is now moved back and in a week or two I should see if all is well! Thanks for the suggestions.