PDA

View Full Version : Chaparral Quality

KCSO
09-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Well I've posted my opinion of Chaparral guns before but I thought a little update would be in order. One of my distributors had their 1873 SSA clone one sale so cheap I thought there was no way I could lose money. I received the gun and althought the action was stiff and the trigger gritty overall the gun didn't look too bad. Before I fired the gun I stripped it ot clean it and whoa! The barrel was installed with NO forcing cone, none at all rifling to the cylinder. So I tore the gun apart and the main spring was ground across the flex, apparantly to make it light enough to cock. I slicked up the action some, replaced the amin spring and cut an 11 degree forcng cone and polished it to tripoli. I cut the front sight down to get the gun on paper and now it isn't a bad shooter. BUT... unless you want to and are able to do a lot of work yourself i wouldn't buy a Chaparral revolver either.

enfield
09-09-2010, 05:54 PM
mine in 44-40 is a match for the Pietta I have ( they look like twins ) except the front sight looks a little crude. kind of sharp on the edge instead of nice and square. otherwise very happy with it. mine will chamber a .432 bullet too !

Muddy Creek Sam
09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I have a 357 1873 that was made for Charles Daly with the name misspelled. Had an action job done by my smith and it hasn't miss a lick in 3 years of SASS shooting BP Snakebites.

Sam :D

Buckshot
09-10-2010, 01:21 AM
............We all know Chaparral doesn't Make the firearms but are distributers, right? My Uberti Hi-Wall came from them with a very poor barrel, but the rifle was beautifull. Since I hadn't bought it to use as a picture on the wall I was disappointed. The folks at Chaparral were very quick to have it taken care of (me paying the $42 shipping) to Banana River Outfitters in Indiana.

What is apropo of this thread is that the gentleman at BRO told me when I mentioned how disappointed I was, that they had just had to send 2 whole shipments of pistols BACK to Uberti. Maybe that was so I wouldn't feel so bad? I don't know how many pistols this entailed. I am also supposeing they possibly would have required more work then they were ready to perform on them?

I'll just add that BRO did work on the Hi-Wall, but didn't fix it, so I was allowed to again pay ($36 this time) shipping to a place in Texas this time, and they put on a new barrel. It's a good thing rifles don't have to go UPS Red Label like pistols do!

..............Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
09-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Buddy hand one of the large frame leverguns and the first one he had had a **** sight that even fell off and had some other furniture problem. He sent it back for repair and they sent him a whole new gun and that ones is pretty darned nice.