PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find mandrel thread

charger 1
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Some smart fellow on here a while back turned a lapping mandrel to give his throat a more paper friendly lead and taper. Trying to find that thread or who posted it

barrabruce
09-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Dunno!!!

I used a tapered pin punch which fitted....errrhhh rubbed with some grit and spun it between my hands like a fire stick.

I have a taper from the free-bore now instead of a step and a gentler lead from that as well.

I thunk I got it concentric ish..only time will tell...still work'n on it.

Me jacketed has made no difference in group size.
Me plain cast works seems to work better'er.
But it seats out a tad more and engages the crimp groove in its taper.
One can squish a taper on it where it used tta be a pretty flat fit.

Working on pp but got the odd paper ring last month.....I think it was a few experimental patchings I mixed up with the over "good stuff" (loose term for me).

This week will sort it out thou.

My 30-30 bore weren't even Sammi spec reamed.

It has a shortr sharp free bore then a step down then another step down to the lands.
If'n I had real long cases it be o.k. I think.
The sammi specs are a long freebore and a single taper to the lands althou pretty sharp.

Hope you find the thread.

I could do with a proper job!!!

Barra

Nrut
09-10-2010, 03:09 PM
unfortunately the pictures are gone..
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18409

Also go to the Black Powder forums here and do a search on "Lead pot" posts as he shows quite a few photo's on the proper PP throat albeit using a throating reamer not a lapping mandrel.. I believe the BP throat geometry would work well for smokeless..
Actually just knocking off the sharp corner were the case mouth ends goes a long way to help the PP doing blast off..