PDA

View Full Version : help, noob to pan-lube

orangezuk
09-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm looking to start pan lubing. I have a lyman luber sizer (no heat), one of those great things dad passed down "here use this" so I have been. The issue I have is that the lubes I'v been using all seam to be a sticky pain in the a$$, ie mess and dont store well.

I'v collected gobs of info but was hoping to get some direct feedback. I am casting for my, .357, .38 & .45colt. What I'm looking for is a pan lube that will perform well in the 800-1100fps range through pistols and has a med-hard consistancy for storage.

All insight, recipies, tips, welcome. please

Shooter6br
09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I find the best instruction is on Castpics web sit "Pan lubing- A piece of Cake" Also search here for a past article. i find Castpics better to print a hard copy. i use Emments lube for 45 ACP, 41 mag. I TL the rest as they are Lee bullets(TL version)

gon2shoot
09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
The best recipe for pan lube, is the one that works for you (helps a bunch huh?)

Find some recipes, work through your local temps, and adjust as necessary. Decide how soft or hard you want. The neat thing about this hobby/addiction is you can adjust to fit your needs.

fryboy
09-10-2010, 12:01 AM
emmerts works and is easy for a newbie , glen ( lars45) sells his lube in the vendor section and tho i havent tried it i hear that a couple of his works well for pan lubing , for what u listed tumble lubing works and with the 45/45/10 mix works well , alot of lubes are sticky/tacky, this is good for the boolit but we dislike the mess, often mica, moly or even baby powder dusted on them after being lubed will cut ant stickiness down

MtGun44
09-13-2010, 04:52 PM
HMMlM. Let me see if I understand the question.

You have a lubrisizer and you want to start pan lubing. . . . . . .:veryconfu

I must be missing something. A lubrisizer is about 20 times easier to use
than pan lubing. Pan lubing is typically for somebody that can't afford to
buy or loads too few rounds per year to justify the cost of a lubrisizer.
But you already have a lubrisizer.

You should use it.

My recommendation is to use a normal room temp lube like LBT soft blue or
NRA formula 50-50 in your lubrisizer. If you have a sticky mess, us a different
lube, or don't heat it. The lubrisizer keeps you from having to mess with
lube, with pan lubing you are really into the melted lube, etc. good opportunity
to get it on everything, unlike with a lubrisizer.

This strikes me a little like somebody asking " I have this F150 pickup but
I don't use it, so I am trying to figure out a way to attach a wheelbarrow to
the back of my moped to haul stuff."

Bill

geargnasher
09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
If you think a lubrisizer is a sticky mess, just wait 'till you start pan lubing!

Listen to MTGun, I was having the same thoughts. If you are having issues with the sizer, sort them out. It is your best option.

Gear

orangezuk
09-15-2010, 12:09 PM
guess I just need to pick up a heater and work with some stiffer lube

Doby45
09-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Use a mix of BAC and Carnuba Red, 50/50 ratio and you will be good to go without heat AND it is not a "sticky pain in the a$$".

Capt Crunch
10-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Use a mix of BAC and Carnuba Red, 50/50 ratio and you will be good to go without heat AND it is not a "sticky pain in the a$$".

How should one mix the two? Heat them up and stir, then pour into lubrisizer? May seem like a stupid question, but I don't know so I ask. thanks, Jim:?

Doby45
10-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Thats exactly what I do. I use a $3 self heating 4 cup coffee pot from the Goodwill but you could use any method to melt the two together. Double-boiler works great too.