PDA

View Full Version : Cerrobend

The Double D
09-09-2010, 09:39 AM
What uses can we put cerrobend to?

trevj
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Add some lead and make it into Cerrosafe.

Cerrobend is formulated to expand on cooling. Used for bending thin wall tubing without kinks. The expansion aids this.Also good for fixturing hard to hold parts for machining. Locks them tight.

Cerrosafe has the characteristic of cooling then shrinking a wee bit, making it really easy to remove from a chamber cast. It then expands at a very slow rate (ie: don't leave your chamber cast in place) after that. Pretty sure Brownell's had the rates in their catalog.

Anyway, don't try to use it as-is for a chamber cast. BTDT, before I learned not to. Actually, that is how and why I learned not to! :/

The ratios of the alloy components can be found online. Ill leave the math up to you.

Cheers
Trev

The Double D
09-09-2010, 08:08 PM
So basically there no use for us of this stuff.

trevj
09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
What? You never had to make a chamber cast?

If you got a bunch, or access to a bunch, take a good look at what it retails for before you decide to pass on it!

I'd bet you could turn a decent profit parceling it out in 1 pound ingots, even without the alloy change to Cerrosafe. It is just a difference in the percentage of lead in the alloy.

Cheers
Trev

The Double D
09-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I sure as heck wouldn't use it for chamber casting. When I had my shop open, I removed far to many homemade chamber castings to try and formulate my own. I have neither the equipment or inclination to do that.

I have access to a large quantity. If there is an interest I might be inclined to sell it as is.

But for now, I am waiting word from my recycling yard on what they will pay me for it.

trevj
09-11-2010, 12:10 AM
How large a quantity?

Pounds? Tons?

If the scrappers are as much the bandits as around here, you'd be way better off selling it by the flat rate box.

At one time I had the info to convert a 1 pound CerroBend Alloy block into CerroSafe. Melt the amount of lead inna pan, add the Cerrobend, allow to cool. Done. Darned if I can find my notes though.

CerroBend as-is is worth some change anyway. Try not to get ripped off!

CerroSafe at Brownell's http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=384/Product/CERROSAFE_reg__CHAMBER_CASTING_ALLOY

Info on CerroBend and similar alloys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood%27s_metal

Before I knew the difference between the alloys, I cast a chamber full of CerroBend. I had to strip the rifle down completely, and heat the action up slowly, until the alloy melted and ran out.
That was what brought me to find out what could be done with CerroBend.

So, no, now, I wouldn't use CerroBend for a chamber cast either, but once mixed with the correct amount of lead, it is no longer CerroBend.

Cheers
Trev

The Double D
09-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Tons a couple. Free to remove.

Bad Water Bill
09-11-2010, 01:30 AM
So how much and when will it be available? [smilie=w:

The Double D
09-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I will talk to the recycling yard Monday and find out if it is worth my while. I have to haul it 130 miles to where I live. I could sell it at a recycling yard closer to where it is,and probably get the same price. The local yard lets me wonder the there yard and lets me have project material for free; steel for cannon building and bit a pieces of lead. ...so a bit of loyalty to him.

If there is a real interest I suppose I could set some aside.

Lee
09-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd get it and sit on it if need be. One of Cast boolits sponsors might just snap it up. Rest assured, whatever it is worth today, it won't get any cheaper tomorrow.....

imashooter2
09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Hmmm... How does it weigh compared to lead? Might add a thousandth or so to an undersized mold.

mfraser264
09-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Please use extreme caution with Cerrobend!!! Some of the lower melt point alloys have Cadmium and it is very toxic to hummans. I had some and turned it for scrap. Type in
"cadmium poisoning" in one of the search engines for more information.

The Double D
09-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes it has cadium. As I understand in this form the cadmium is hazardous when inhaled or ingested much like leads hazard.

This has been use for medical shielding.

The Double D
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Just heard from the recycler....no market, no interest.

trevj
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
If you have access to TONS of CerroBend and the scrapper isn't interested, I gotta guess it would be because the guy does not know a stream to feed it to outside his normal channels, to make a buck on it.

Gotta wonder what the cost was to put it where it is now.

Oy vay! It's gotta feel a bit like finding a gold nugget too big to carry, while wandering lost.

Cheers
Trev

The Double D
09-18-2010, 12:52 AM
As is typical with these things when the rubber hits the road there is ground shrinkage. My contact only has 600-700 lbs and I found a market.

The Double D
09-19-2010, 10:20 AM
trevj are you going to bring your Snider or Martini to the 2011 Victorian Rifleman shoot next year...you do have Sniders or Martini's don't you?:)

If you are there I will save out some of the cerrobend for you. You can do your own alloying and get back to us?

trevj
09-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Sadly, I have neither a Snyder or large Martini.

I have a BSA Martini action that is on it's (slow) way towards becoming a 22 Hornet Sporting Rifle, that I intend to use for shooting Cast with.

Not quite Project 42, but there are a few things more pressing these days.

Thanks for the kind thoughts though!

Cheers
Trev

The Double D
10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Well I talked with the folks who make the Cerro products. They say do not use cerro bend for chamber casting. I asked about what to add to change it to cerro safe...they discourage trying as they say the compounding is critical. I kind of expected them to say that.

They don't buy the metal back as the only surplus resale is from hospitals and its always full of garbage---rubber gloves and old coffee cups.

http://www.hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys.htm

What to use it for? They say it is used as a holding fixture in Machine shops.

I had a rusted in screw in a Francotte Martini barrel band. I built a dam with aluminum pop can material filled it with the cerrobend. Worked great! Held the band solid. I am going to hang onto some of this stuff for shop work and sell the rest to Rotometals one of our advertisers.