PDA

View Full Version : Boolits in a Desert Eagle

dale2242
09-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I was on another forum this morning and read that you can`t use cast in a Desert Eagle. What would the issues?
Anyone shooting lead in one?....dale

44man
09-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Lube and lead in the gas port. Does not hurt the gun but can make it quit working.

Moonie
09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
With regular cleaning it should be fine. I heard this years ago from an indoor range, seems they didn't clean their DE's (rental guns) very often and they would stop working (gummed, plugged up gas system) after awhile.

Snapping Twig
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Don't use lead!

Gum up the works right nice and you'll need to send it to a gunsmith to get it all out.

ebner glocken
09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I bought a DE in .41 Mag that was totally leaded up. Took 2 weeks soaking in kroil to get the deposits out. Before cleaning it jammed 3 of 5 rounds fired. Sometime when I get a chance I will try a fairly hard alloy with gas checks and see what happens. The worst thing that should happen is a long soaking period to get the lead out but then again this can be avoided with jacketed bullets.

Now the real reason that I would try cast in it at all. Has anyone been able to find ANY jacketed 210 grain .410 bullets at any reasonable price lately? Other than that I would shoot jacketed and never look back.

Ebner

BABore
09-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I bought a DE in .41 Mag that was totally leaded up. Took 2 weeks soaking in kroil to get the deposits out. Before cleaning it jammed 3 of 5 rounds fired. Sometime when I get a chance I will try a fairly hard alloy with gas checks and see what happens. The worst thing that should happen is a long soaking period to get the lead out but then again this can be avoided with jacketed bullets.

Now the real reason that I would try cast in it at all. Has anyone been able to find ANY jacketed 210 grain .410 bullets at any reasonable price lately? Other than that I would shoot jacketed and never look back.

Ebner

Try here

http://www.shootersproshop.com/index.php?p=11&b=8&s=393&t=Handgun

Their shipping charge runs around $12. Same price whether you order 1 bag or 10.

ebner glocken
09-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Thank you, just ordered enough to get me through the sparse times.

Ebner

rockrat
09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Have shot some cast thru my DE, but not alot. Wonder if you could do with it like an AR15 with a 22 conversion. They say shoot maybe a couple hundred rnds of 22, then pull the conversion and shoot a few jacketed rounds to clean out the gas system, then put conversion back in and repeat.

NSP64
09-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Back in 86 when I had one in .357, I tried cast in it and turned it into a heavy single shot. The problem is the gas bleed port is in the forcing cone/ throat area, then the gas runs forward under the barrel then turns down to operate the slide piston. Was a bear to clean. That was the main reason I got rid of it, It was expensive to feed (even reloading).

BABore, that seems like a great price on J-letts.

Might look in the swaging section to see if anyone is smashing brass to .410

Lloyd Smale
09-10-2010, 08:02 AM
My buddy shot lots through his 50ae without trouble. Said the trick was to use hard lube and hard alloys.

44man
09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
My buddy shot lots through his 50ae without trouble. Said the trick was to use hard lube and hard alloys.
I also thought of that but I would get in trouble again! :mrgreen: