PDA

View Full Version : super blackhawk

white eagle
09-08-2010, 11:40 PM
does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the trigger guard on the sbh
I hate to keep getting my middle finger knuckle busted open every time I shoot this gun :oops::holysheep

Frank46
09-09-2010, 12:31 AM
I have a redhawk and with the ruger issue wood grips would get a nice knuckle rap each time I fired it. Put on a set of pachmayer deaccelerator grips and it made a huge difference. Frank

Uncle R.
09-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Pachmyer presentation grips solved that problem for me.

nicholst55
09-09-2010, 02:25 AM
That's one reason that the Bisley or Hunter grip frames are popular among die-hard Ruger shooters. The Hunter grip frame is the same size as the SBH grip frame, but it has a rounded trigger guard. The Bisley grip frame requires the corresponding hammer and trigger, as well; Brownells and Midway both offer complete Bisley conversion kits.

BBA
09-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Hogue grip fills in the gap.

dale2242
09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Use the Pachmayer Presentation grips or any grip that fills in behind the square trigger guard. Problem solved...dale

44man
09-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Bisley grips beat my knuckle worse then the hog leg. Still needs Pachmeyer grips for me.

BABore
09-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Grip the gun with your pinky finger below the butt. It allows more room for your nasty finger and ring finger. Eliminates most all of the knuckle rap and also provides a bit more control.

I tried the Hogue rubber grips on my SBH Hunter. I just couldn't get used to them and they are butt ugly on a single action. The also keep the gun from naturally rolling in your hand as it was meant to. The stock grey/black laminate grips bugged me cause of all the sharp edges and flaring near the bottom. I solved that situation with a 6 inch belt sander. Did the grips and frame all at once without removing them. Melted all the hard corners down, then polished and sanded things back to a nice finish. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

white eagle
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Failed to tell ya all I have Pachmeyers on it now
how do you think rounding the sharp edge with a file would do

BABore
09-09-2010, 10:03 AM
It would all depend on the file and the guy behind it.:bigsmyl2:

44man
09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Failed to tell ya all I have Pachmeyers on it now
how do you think rounding the sharp edge with a file would do
Yes, the steel needs filed and polished with Scotch Brite but the rubber grips will do the job.
I have large hands that do not go into a lot of extra large gloves and my middle knuckle is very large from shooting heavy bows. Pachmeyer is my savior.
Some praise certain grips but you really need to compare your hands to theirs. Grips are just too stinking personal for anyone, including me, to tell you what you need.

white eagle
09-09-2010, 10:39 AM
it seems the only thing the Packmeyers do is put a black ring around the hole in my knuckle

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't know if this will help ya...
when shooting the Blackhawk,
I loosely grip the gun and allow it to slide/roll upward.
this shifts the inertia from a straight kick back to a roll upward.
doesn't rap my knuckle.
Jon

OutHuntn84
09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
In addition to what JonB said I would get a slightly higher grip on the backstrap. This seemed to help it roll rather than recoil straight back.

BABore
09-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't know if this will help ya...
when shooting the Blackhawk,
I loosely grip the gun and allow it to slide/roll upward.
this shifts the inertia from a straight kick back to a roll upward.
doesn't rap my knuckle.
Jon

Yep, I forgot to mention that as well. My groups tightened considerally when I gripped the gun a bit looser. White Eagle will likely have a problem doing this with his Pachmayr's on. When you let the gun roll with them, they like to grab at the web of your hand. Leaves a nice black mark as it stretches your skin out.[smilie=1:

dale2242
09-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I have a couple of other possible solutions.

1. Buy a Super Red Hawk..... no square back trigger guard
2. Buy a 22 rimfire...... no recoil

dale

44man
09-09-2010, 05:01 PM
No roll allowed with my guns. Inconsistent to be sure. Nothing but a very firm grip. How do you think I shoot my groups?
Whitworth crawls a high hold and gets cut to pieces. :bigsmyl2:

chaos
09-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Bisley grips beat my knuckle worse then the hog leg. Still needs Pachmeyer grips for me.

I think that you and I are the only two fellers in the world who do not prefer the Bisley grip. I keep reading how wonderful they are. They flat out hurt me.

white eagle
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Dale [smilie=b:
no solution there
recoil don't bother me

Wally
09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Dale [smilie=b:
no solution there
recoil don't bother me

Use lighter loads or .44 Spls...

odis
09-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I like most every body else think that Hogue grips look real odd and out of place on a single action but the first time I shot my black hawk in 45 with a set on is the first time I ever really enjoyed shooting the gun with any kind of load.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2010, 07:34 PM
No roll allowed with my guns. Inconsistent to be sure. Nothing but a very firm grip.

Tight grip, yes for defensive shooting, I couldn't agree more.
Using both hands like vise jaws is how my police training taught me.

but plinking and league target shooting,
I always use a loosey goosey grip,
it is the most accurate for me...but everyone is different.
Jon

frankenfab
09-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Just a bad situation. I never spent much time trying to learn a technique for the plow handle. Lots of different good suggestions already posted. I have the big wood BFR grip on my .500 Linebaugh with the blackhawk frame, and I learned that if I used a very frim grip, focusing more pressure on my bottom fingers, I was able to keep the trigger guard from hitting my knuckle.

I have no problems with it now.

BABore
09-10-2010, 08:04 AM
No roll allowed with my guns. Inconsistent to be sure. Nothing but a very firm grip. How do you think I shoot my groups?
Whitworth crawls a high hold and gets cut to pieces. :bigsmyl2:

In looking at your 1-2 shot beer can groups, I'd say you personally empty the cans and get tight in both your grip and demeanor, pop off a couple rounds, then go take a nappy. :bigsmyl2:

44man
09-10-2010, 09:35 AM
In looking at your 1-2 shot beer can groups, I'd say you personally empty the cans and get tight in both your grip and demeanor, pop off a couple rounds, then go take a nappy. :bigsmyl2:
Nope, cans are from days before. We shoot all day, even getting down to black walnuts or stones, chunks of cement blocks, etc, at 100. We HATE paper targets and only sight with them. I don't like to walk 100 yards to set up cans again so we set up a bunch but some will be set up for a second shot. The worst was walking 5 times for a 5 shot group in a can.
Then when we get back in my basement, we pop a few for more future targets! :bigsmyl2: It is more fun to sit and discuss results after shooting, with a few beers.
I do not think many of you would like to shoot my guns with a "loosey goosey" grip. The .475 will split your head open! :coffeecom
I shot IHMSA many, many years and a loose grip was death to a score. Stay home and save money unless you like to cuss.
My .44 is held just like my .475 is, the gun does NOT roll, it raises my arm. Now shooting the .475 from bags, it will twist your wrist. If you let it roll, you will be looking through a black eye for a few weeks or need stitches. :kidding:
Never grip so tight you shake, just very firm.
The cowboy crowd with cat sneeze loads like roll so the hammer is closer but it seems to me that most are cocking the gun with the left hand.
I don't know about some of you but I don't like to hold a 45-70 rifle a few inches from my shoulder so it recoils "FREE."
The POI of a revolver is 100% dependent on recoil. Control it and you will shoot groups.

BABore
09-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Nope, cans are from days before. We shoot all day, even getting down to black walnuts or stones, chunks of cement blocks, etc, at 100. We HATE paper targets and only sight with them. I don't like to walk 100 yards to set up cans again so we set up a bunch but some will be set up for a second shot. The worst was walking 5 times for a 5 shot group in a can.
Then when we get back in my basement, we pop a few for more future targets! :bigsmyl2: It is more fun to sit and discuss results after shooting, with a few beers.
I do not think many of you would like to shoot my guns with a "loosey goosey" grip. The .475 will split your head open! :coffeecom
I shot IHMSA many, many years and a loose grip was death to a score. Stay home and save money unless you like to cuss.
My .44 is held just like my .475 is, the gun does NOT roll, it raises my arm. Now shooting the .475 from bags, it will twist your wrist. If you let it roll, you will be looking through a black eye for a few weeks or need stitches. :kidding:
Never grip so tight you shake, just very firm.
The cowboy crowd with cat sneeze loads like roll so the hammer is closer but it seems to me that most are cocking the gun with the left hand.
I don't know about some of you but I don't like to hold a 45-70 rifle a few inches from my shoulder so it recoils "FREE."
The POI of a revolver is 100% dependent on recoil. Control it and you will shoot groups.

Hook, line, and sinker.:p

44man
09-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Hook, line, and sinker.:p
I know, you were fooling with me! :veryconfu

Whitworth
09-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah, you hold any of my revolvers with a loose grip and your DNA will end up on the front sight......:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Changeling
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, you hold any of my revolvers with a loose grip and your DNA will end up on the front sight......:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Now that is just plain funny as Hell, especially since I am familiar with the revolvers you shoot:holysheep[smilie=l: