PDA

View Full Version : price of Rossi Hartford model

Dogg
09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Was wondering what would be an acceptable price for a new 24" Hartford model Rossi in 45lc, pre idiot safety.

cajun shooter
09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Dogg, I am not trying to bash you one little bit but the question you ask has several variables that will change the answer. If you are a bigger size guy then the 24 in bbl model will work. Some smaller men have stated that the 24 is bbl heavy and they can't swing it. Are you shooting competition? Do you plan on having the gun worked on for SASS shooting or just hunting rifle? Stock rifles start in the $450 range and run close to $800 in the stainless full race version.The Hartford 92's are good rifles. I have one in 44-40 that is the CCH saddle ring version. It has the full works done to it by Steve Young AKA Nate Kiowa Jones. I have over $700 invested but will sell for$550 It is a safe Queen in that it was purchased to back up my 1873 which cost $1250 and never used. It is in like new condition.

Dogg
09-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Cajun Shooter I'm not looking at it that way, I am just trying to find out what a decent price would be, I already have 8 of them but I found a place where I may be able to pick up a few more but at a ? price. Just trying to get an idea of what a non safety model would be worth these days since they aren't being made that way any more.
Thanks
dogg

cajun shooter
09-11-2010, 11:09 AM
They have not been off the market long enough Dogg to bring the type of increase you are referring to. In Sass shooting however you could probably pick up some extra for each rifle as they are the most looked for model. I remember that you found a good deal on some nice ones when you purchased what you have. I misunderstood what the reason was for your question. I apologize for that. This economy has still not recovered and with guns I have seen some real good deals as at this time it is a buyers market. That is when you don't want to be sitting with a boat load on rifles. I tried to sell my 44-40 92 that was given the full action job by Steve Young for $175 less than I had in it and got no bites. The gun is a safe gun and like new. Take Care David

Dogg
09-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks David, Seeing what the new ones from Italy are selling for just made me wonder if they would be worth it if I could get them for under $350. I've been looking at some new Marlins which seem to be pretty hot items since Marlin is moving. Guess I just like having a lot of rifles. I've found that at least the older pre safety model Hartfords look really nice when you strip the brown **** they put on the stock off and do some tru-oil, and everyone I have shoots very respectable groups and at least with the 45lc have got no leading with .452 lead boolits.
Dogg

Old Goat Keeper
09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
ANY Rossi lever in good working condition for under $350 is a good buy IHMO!

Tom

cajun shooter
09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't know if you slugged the bbl but I shot .454 bullets in my Hartfords and got very tight groups that would just be one ragged hole at 25 yds. For SASS shooting.

Dogg
09-15-2010, 08:21 AM
I haven't tried any .454 boolits, since I can't find much lead I have been buying them and it seems most everyone sizes to .452. But then again I get zero leading in the barrel and clover leafs at 30 yards. Wouldn't want to sell me a few of the .454 to try would you??
Guess I won't buy any more for a time since I just purchased a Marling 1895 Cowboy and an 1895 ABL.
Am thinking of cutting one of my stainless Hartfords down to 16.5" to give me a trapper model.
I'll check back with my source later this year or early next year and see if he has any of the '92s left at a reasonable price. Right now I am trying to finish off my Marlin collection since Marlin is moving further production is questionable.