PDA

View Full Version : dillon 600 swager

jballs918
09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
well guys im getting into alot of mil brass and i was wondering if anyone has one of these. they look pretty heavy duty and look they will do the job pretty easy, im up to about 2k in mil brass. just wondering if the 80 bones would be worth it

versifier
09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Yes. If you have more than fifteen or twenty cases, you'll be sick of any other tool pretty quick. I am lucky to have the use of one when I need it.

StarMetal
09-09-2006, 07:14 PM
When I lived in Denver, Denver Bullets gave me a great idea to get rid of the military primer pocket crimp. You see they loaded alot of military brass both 5.56 and 7.62. The guy asked if I had a drill press. I said yes. He said go to Sears and get one of those multifluted countersinks and chuck it the drill press, then grab a handful and feed the other hand that is bumping the primer pocket up against the spinning countersink. Once you get the hang of it he said, you can go through 5000 rounds pretty fast and that's how they did them. My friend and I were loading 5.56 and selling it at the gunshows and we got the components in 5000 piece batches. Walt, my friend, had bought one of those RCBS swagers and it was just too doggone slow. The Dillion is slow too. They both are ok for just doing a few hundred or so, but not large volume.

Joe

straightshooter1
09-09-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm a real Dillon fan, but I think you will be about nuts by the time you wade through that many rounds. Yes, it is the best tool, but:

Find a friend (or stranger) with a Dillon 1050 and he can do them for you in about two hours or less.

or

Find someone who "processes" military brass (lots of folks do it when you buy from them for $10 per 1000.

or

if there is a commercial reloader in your area, ask how much to do these. Then buy processed brass in the future.

A friend with a 1050 would easily solve the matter and save you $.

Bob

PDshooter
09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
This is my answer to that "mil, crimp"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/reloading/06002.jpg
I can buzz 100 cases in about 10Min.:-D
RCBS debure and power adapter, and of course a drill press[smilie=1:

StarMetal
09-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Before I bought my countersink I too chucks my RCBS case too into the drill press. Sorry to tell you 100 in 10 mins isn't no ways as fast as the countersink in a drill press, BUT it's faster then those swagers.

Joe

Lloyd Smale
09-10-2006, 06:04 AM
I had a dillon and sold it like a dumby. They work well. What i use now for 223s is a rcbs inside case deburrer chucked up in a drill it works pretty well.

FISH4BUGS
09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I use it - I like it - I can't think of anything else to use. After you swage the crimp away, it gives you a chance to inspect the case before throwing it in the can for the next step. A good thing to do. Unless you are a commercial reloader, the Dillon swage will work fine.

dragonrider
09-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Got one, have done thousands of cases with it, a very cool tool. Using a reamer on a primer pocket is IMHO a poor choice, it does remove material and leaves the possibility of a loose pocket. The Dillon tool will not do that. It ain't fast by any means, may take you all of 5 seconds to do one case, something you can do while watching the news or some other mind numbing program. There is one other little thing that should be done before using the Dillon 600, you should deburr the inside of the flash hole, if not you will flatten down the burr an could compromise the flash hole, also makes positioning the case easier.

felix
09-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Actually, the wide angle drill won't alter the case-primer tension enough to matter, unless the primer hole is already stretched to the limit. I know, I've done quite a few military cases, imports and domestic. In fact, I favor the drill method because of the nice leade-in for the primer start. Primer will end up being straight and square even with sloppy primer injectors. ... felix