PDA

View Full Version : BPCR in IL, WI, IN, MO ?

Hubertus
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi there,

I am turning to you with maybe a little bit of a strange request for help.
Reading the forum here and getting so much help to start with my first BPC rifle and casting, I always admired the reports about BPCR long range and Silhouette shoots.
If all goes well I will have to travel to the U.S. for work between the 6th and the 22nd of October - that includes two weekends I might have the luck of breaking away from work. I will be staying in IL a bit outside of Chicago.
Is there a slight chance of visiting a BPCR shoot/Silhouette range or something in that direction within a few hours drive? Checking BPCR.net there is the Effingham club that hosts a competition the weekend of 23rd – that is exactly the weekend I will be flown home on Friday. Besides that I wasn’t lucky.

Do you have any ideas?

If not that maybe you know an outfit for a “small” (read: not so expensive) weekend hunting trip – although I am not certain about the seasons in IL.

Thanks in advance
Hubertus

DIRT Farmer
09-08-2010, 10:26 AM
There will be the Turkey Shoot a the NMLRA range in Frindship IN Oct 10-11 Bob W will be running the match. The range will be out to 500 possibly. I do not know if the BPC match is up on the web site yet at nmlra.org.

Also the Miami long range silhouette knock down match at the NMLRA range Oct16 17.

Boz330
09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
The Match at Friendship is a good time but it is probably a good 5 to 6 hours from Chicago depending on what side of town you are on.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Bob, you planning to be there this week?

Lead pot
09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
There is a Creedmoor shoot at Lodi Wis. on the 25th and 25th of Sept if you can make that.

Boz330
09-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Bob, you planning to be there this week?

No, I've got work scheduled in this week and the way business has been I can't turn anything down. My 2 buddies will be at Camp Atterbury. I was planning on trying to make that, but after they changed dates it sort of messed up my scheduling. This will be the first time I've missed at least 1 trip to Friendship in probably 20 years. It sure isn't like it use to be back in the 70s and 80s though. That was truly the hay day of muzzle loading, more people and more vendors. I use to do all of my stocking up then.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
09-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I know about work and the economey, I will just be there for the meetings and hope to pick up the rest of the toys for the Gibbs. If I am lucky a few rounds on the quail walk. Missing Friendship is like missing eating.

Hubertus
09-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Thank you very much for the info.

Unfortunately end of September is no option, so Lodi won't work - man I would have loved that.
Although the drive seems to be a bit long I might try and visit Friendship. If I am not mistaken it is Sunday and Monday. So for me only Sunday then - work, lucky to have it. Can you give me some more details what exactly is going on there? From the conversation it sounded like a good place to go with some trading going on and lots of people. What is the typical course of fire? Well I won't be able to take a rifle with me and participate but watching it will be fun, too.

Is there a possibility to stay overnight? I might drive in Saturday to be there Sunday morning.

Sorry for all the questions and thank you again.
Hubertus

Boz330
09-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Hubertus, Go here http://www.nmlra.org/shoots.asp?Cat=Alternate%20Range%20Shoots there is a silhouette match the 16th and 17th and they are on Saturday and Sunday with sight in on Friday. The guys at these matches are usually very friendly and the fall colors should be at there peak just about that weekend. The drive alone will be worth the trip.
If you browse around the NMLRA web site I think you will find that interesting and I believe there are directions from the different directions. Friendship is out in the boonies, but a really neat place. How much commercial stuff will be there I don't know. I have only competed there on a couple occasions and not with this particular club but it is mostly the same guys.
I would offer to meet you there but that is the deer season opener for muzzle loading.

Bob

Hubertus
09-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Found the description on the nmlra page.
It's Saturday and Sunday - lots of different categories, very interesting.

I'll see whether I can make it.
Would be really interesting to know which CB members are going.

Hubertus

Boz330
09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Almost forgot, closest place to stay is probably in Madison IN. Friendship itself isn't much more that a wide spot in the road. We usually take a camper when we go since the camping site is included in the match fees.

Bob

Hubertus
09-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Bob, thank you again for the info and the link.
Our two messages must have overlapped because when I wrote the second one yours wasn’t there. So now I finally found the right tab on the NMLRA.org – indeed the site is very nice. The weekend 16th/17th is good and it is a Silhouette match as you said; now I can’t wait to get there.
I fully understand that you are not going to miss the first day of the season – thank you for your consideration. It’s always nice to meet people from the CB in person – I had the honor of meeting 1874Sharps when he was over here in Germany and we went shooting together we really had a good time.

I may call the organizers of the match about starting times and such and maybe they have an idea for a bunk nearby, although Madison seems to be only 40 minutes away.
What do you think is it worth staying both days? (I will not compete in the match since I can’t bring gear - just watch.)
If not maybe I can find a lodge close by and go on a half day quail/pheasant hunt on Sunday.

Hubertus

DIRT Farmer
09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Hubertus I would think if you contact the sponsers they might find a rifle for you to use. I have to be there for the turkey shoot the week before and can't make both. There is the possibility of shipping your rifle to have it there.

Boz330
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM
I may call the organizers of the match about starting times and such and maybe they have an idea for a bunk nearby, although Madison seems to be only 40 minutes away.
What do you think is it worth staying both days? (I will not compete in the match since I can’t bring gear - just watch.)
If not maybe I can find a lodge close by and go on a half day quail/pheasant hunt on Sunday.

Hubertus

That would probably be the best thing to do, they will know of the options. When I go to Friendship I go through Madison and really haven't been any other way.

Dirt Farmer, I talked to my shooting buddy this morning about Camp Atterbury. He ended up setting 3 new ML national long range records. I think it was high 800yd and high 1000yd and high aggregate for 800, 900, & 1000. He claimed it was just luck, the problem is that he seems to have a LOT of luck. Maybe because he is anal retentive and practices a lot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NAW probably not. He said that the match was unlimited sighters and 10 rounds at each distance for score. He shot 31 total shots for the whole match.:groner: I'm thinking that his slot on the national team to Beasley next year might be a lock, he has had an awful good year.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
09-16-2010, 04:32 PM
So he wasted one on a sighter? I don't think I could find my rifle with one shot. The guys found the bullet I needed when I was up the first of the week. I am leaving tonight for a meeting in the morning and have plans of shooting Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. The three rounds I shot 1st Saturday demonstrated my to much working and not enough pratice, just over 50% on the Quail Walk. My plans are shoot Quail walk and get some shots through my Gibbs before our President, (Bob V.)

Hubertus, if possible for you, the National Championship shoot in September is a good week. I plan to retire from the board next year and have to many guns that need shot. Come on over and spend a few days, If you like shooting rifle, shotgun pistol or sitting around the fire talking guns and history you would enjoy the week, though you might find some of our beer lacking. I have some guns that some one who can shoot need to try.

Hubertus
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
DIRT Farmer,

hey that is a very generous offer and I would love to accept it but I can't be there, sorry. I am sure you will have a good time and find somebody helping to shoot some of the rifles that don't come out so often. About the beer I will have a good Bavarian one thinking of you in Friendship :drinks:
I would really love to come but the schedule is not allowing it.
Besides my trip to the US is work related I will only have weekends to play.

Shipping the rifle is a bit expensive and not really an option, there is a lot of paperwork associated with that on my end.

I will keep you informed.

Thank you again
Hubertus

DIRT Farmer
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I keep hearing about the good German beers, some day I hope to get there and sample some history and beer. Most of the guys have a spare rifle or two just in case they want to shoot both.
When you know for sure if and when you will be there, contact me and I will make a phone call to make sure some one is ready to greet you and introduce you around.
Alan

kcajeel
09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Too bad you weren't coming a little sooner. There is a ASSRA22 shoot at Etna Green Indiana on Oct 1,2, and 3. That would be, maybe 100 miles from Chicago.

Hubertus
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
kcajeel, yes, that would have saved some time driving - but I guess if the weather is nice the drive is part of the fun.

Alan, thank you! I will let you know. So far the flight/accomodation is booked and the colleagues are waiting for me. My only hope is that work plays along and the weekend will be free. I have definitely planned for 16/17th weekend to go to Friendship! Last weekend I called Mike Hoke, he is the master recorder of the match (got the number from the nmlra page) he is happy to have me there if I can make it. They will start 9:30 am. He actually recommended a Motel as well.
About the beer, be my guest, whenever you come to Germany and visit Bavaria I'll get you some samples :wink: ......history, too; of course

Thanks again.
Hubertus

runnin lead
09-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Huburtus
Tell the guys in Friendship that Woody went to Kentucky fishing otherwise Woody would have talked your ear off , I mean set you up.
Woody won't be there so you will only need earplugs not plugs & muffs.

Hubertus
09-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Running lead, thanks agian for asking Woody!
It always amazes me how nice the CB members are and how this nice hobby brings poeple together. If somebody asks about Woody I will surely tell that he is putting some fish on his table...

Hubertus

Boz330
09-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Herbertus, Have a good time at the match. You will be in for a spectacular drive to Friendship and I think you will find the guys quite friendly, like here. Sorry I won't be able to be there.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Herbertus, just stand around and look interested, most of those guys can't stand to see someone not shooting. Have fun and I hope you enjoy our grounds. Decent food at the Friendship international convention center, (the local bar). If I am guessing the leaves should be in full color and be an added benifit.

Hubertus
10-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Thank you all for the offers and tips.

'When going to the match - I will look as interested as I can :wink:.
Finally I made it over the Atlantic and am now in IL.

DIRT_Farmer, how far off the connection between Chicago and Friendship are you?
Is it reasonable to pass by your place after the match? I happen to have a sample with me :wink: not much, but it might suffice as a starting point.

Hubertus

DIRT Farmer
10-06-2010, 09:22 PM
That is a generous thought Hubertus, but I am 160 miles West of Friendship. There will be a guy around by the name of Winston Roland. He cannot sample because of health reasons, so it would be safe to leave it with him. If I can find an excuse to come back up that weekend I will for a day. Otherwise I will be up in December at the latest. I have had my 45-70 rolling block for four years and still havent shot it in a match, just here on the farm and deer hunting in Kansas.

Hubertus
10-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Gentlemen, it was so much fun, I still can't believe it.
This experience will keep me going for a while.

When I have sorted my pictures and find more time I will write up a little report.

Hubertus

Boz330
10-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Gentlemen, it was so much fun, I still can't believe it.
This experience will keep me going for a while.

When I have sorted my pictures and find more time I will write up a little report.

Hubertus

Glad you enjoyed yourself.:drinks: That is some pretty country down there. Did the boys take care of you? Anybody let you try out their equipment?
The way deer camp went I might have been better off going there instead.
Looking forward to your pictures and report.

Bob

Hubertus
10-21-2010, 01:11 AM
So here it comes; my little story of the last weekend’s road trip and match at Friendship.
First thing I’ll have to report is: “Friendship” that’s the perfect name for this place. It matches my experience to 100%! The Miami BPCR bunch is so friendly and nice it’s almost unbelievable. I guess that is the case for all BP shooters – since I am hearing it all the time on this fine board and get the same feeling reading the posts.
It was a pretty long drive down from Chicago but all the way worth it. Unfortunately the Motel in Versailles was full so I had to find a different place and stayed at a Motel which was not the best kind but I survived.

Driving back to Friendship Saturday morning was beautiful and I found this scenery along the way:
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Friendship/P1170733.jpg

Then finally I got there. http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Friendship/P1170823.jpg

I am sure the guys shooting in Silhouette matches are familiar with this pic here but for me it was the first glance at a marvelous weekend unfolding:
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Friendship/P1170865.jpg

Since my face was the new one it was pretty much obvious that I am the German guy and Mike introduced me around and before the actual match started I was already lying on my belly and cracked some shots from a Rolling Block and Highwall. Well, the rifles had been sighted in for the rams I didn’t hit anything but was pretty close.
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Friendship/P1170859.jpg

The whole day I watched the match and asked stupid questions trying to soak up every tip I could get. Learning about wind and mirage and sight adjustments, loading and casting - watching the game as it went on. Everybody was open to questions and answered them, in turn asking questions about the sport in Germany. This learning experience is priceless I couldn’t have learned have of this by reading publications for a year.

After the match I was asked, whether I could rid some of the guys of their spare ammo: “ ah I don’t wanna take this home , you wanna shoot it?”. So, again, I ended up on the shooting line first trying my luck at the chickens and then on my belly for the turkeys and rams. I actually managed to get one chicken out of 8 shots, was pretty lucky with the rams and the turkeys weren’t too bad either I mean for a first go. I had the luck and honor to try a Sharps, Highwall with iron sights and a Sharps with scope - calibers varying from 45-70 to 45-100. The guys introduce me to different "between shot methods" like blow tubing and bore hogs. Explained with the patience of a saint the non-metric sight settings to a metric guy.
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Friendship/P1170961.jpg
Scope
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Friendship/P1170976.jpg

The stayed longer and spotted for me and told me what to do – again an invaluable experience. Now I finally get it. It is a team sport. A shooter without a spotter isn’t worth a dime in this sport and of course vise versa. Everybody competes but the comradeship and friendliness is overwhelming.

Well it was even getting better: some of the guys getting to know that I was sleeping in this strange motel asked me whether I wanted to camp with them by the trap range – absolutely. It was a beautiful night with stars, BBQ, cold beverages and nice music and stories. Well they snored – so did I, probably – and the doggy seemed to like me too, since he slept on my mattress, cuddling with me. They scrounged up the mattress and blankets for me; feed me a nice steak and breakfast the next morning– well what’s more to ask for.

Coming Sunday morning I was a happy camper (pun intended) and we got back to the match. When I was talking to the boys a gentleman came up and asked me whether I wanted to team up with him and shoot the Sunday match. I was so surprised couldn’t speak a word, finally muttered YES, YOU BET!!!

So that’s what I did. I was spotting for him (probably the worst spotter in BPCR history) and liked it as much as the shooting. That was a rush. I even managed to get a 5 pig pin. My final result was a humble 12 (8 pigs, 3 turkeys and 1 ram).

So for the first time being there – I had a blast. Everybody said I would have to come back whenever possible… hopefully that will be possible some day. I am looking forward to it already.
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Friendship/P1170826.jpg

Hubertus

Boz330
10-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Hubertus, great report, I figured that you would be taken care of, and it sounds like you were. That is a fun place to shoot and I don't get down there near enough. You should have seen the ML matches there back in the late 70s and early 80s. They are still pretty interesting but the numbers have fallen off considerably from what they were back then.
Over the years I have competed in several different sports and some internationally and people always seem to get along great when you can take the political aspect out of it. Got drunk on my butt with the Polish Team at the world parachuting championships one year and we couldn't even understand each other. Fortunately they all spoke German and my buddy was fluent in German so no problem. The only wet blanket was the Soviet Chaperon, who wasn't drinking. Even the Russian guys were pretty cool, away from there Chaperons.

Bob

Boz330
10-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Hubertus, great report, I figured that you would be taken care of, and it sounds like you were. That is a fun place to shoot and I don't get down there near enough. You should have seen the ML matches there back in the late 70s and early 80s. They are still pretty interesting but the numbers have fallen off considerably from what they were back then.
Over the years I have competed in several different sports and some internationally and people always seem to get along great when you can take the political aspect out of it. Got drunk on my butt with the Polish Team at the world parachuting championships one year and we couldn't even understand each other. Fortunately they all spoke German and my buddy was fluent in German so no problem. The only wet blanket was the Soviet Chaperon, who wasn't drinking. Even the Russian guys were pretty cool, away from there Chaperons.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
10-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Hubertus, a great report, and thanks for sharing your experience. Those rams do look small when you look down that line.
The guys on the long range line sure don't mind helping and sharing their sport. I know they have been perplexed on how to work with a shotgunner, but have taken their time to help me. I will brag and say my first shot at 500 hit the square after being coached, three guys know the whole story but I am claiming a hit, as the metal rang.
As for explaining the sights, most of my guns don't have sights, so English mesurements made in Italy still seem strange to me.