PDA

View Full Version : New Revolver

HEAD0001
09-08-2010, 03:01 AM
I am in the market for a new revolver. I have considered the Casull. And have by no means ruled it out. I have decided I want to go back to shooting the basics. I bought a nice Low Wall a few years ago in 45 Colt. And I am getting pretty good with it. So I have decided I want to go with a combo-rifle and revolver. I have a couple of sets of 44 magnums. But I really like the 45 Colt cartridge. I have also considered re-chambering my Low Wall to 454 so it can match the FA revolver.

But after considerable thinking I believe the 45 Colt cartridge will do all I want to do. I want to keep the revolver with open sights. I want it to wear a good set of open sights. Something like the silh. sights would be very nice. I want it to have between a 6-7 1/2" barrel. I would prefer a single action revolver. But I really do not want to spend over $2,000 for a FA(but I might).

I want the revolver to be accurate out to 100 yards for deer and ground hog hunting. So I imagine a little custom work would need to be done to a standard revolver to gain this accuracy.

How would some of you guys put this revolver together?? In a 45 Colt?? Any good smith recommendations, or smiths who already have revolvers like this for sale??

I am also looking at a S&W 460 Magnum cartridge. I think I can also chamber my Low Wall to that cartridge. But I really do believe the 45 Colt will do what I want. Tom.

DanWalker
09-08-2010, 03:37 AM
I am in the market for a new revolver. I have considered the Casull. And have by no means ruled it out. I have decided I want to go back to shooting the basics. I bought a nice Low Wall a few years ago in 45 Colt. And I am getting pretty good with it. So I have decided I want to go with a combo-rifle and revolver. I have a couple of sets of 44 magnums. But I really like the 45 Colt cartridge. I have also considered re-chambering my Low Wall to 454 so it can match the FA revolver.

But after considerable thinking I believe the 45 Colt cartridge will do all I want to do. I want to keep the revolver with open sights. I want it to wear a good set of open sights. Something like the silh. sights would be very nice. I want it to have between a 6-7 1/2" barrel. I would prefer a single action revolver. But I really do not want to spend over $2,000 for a FA(but I might).

I want the revolver to be accurate out to 100 yards for deer and ground hog hunting. So I imagine a little custom work would need to be done to a standard revolver to gain this accuracy.

How would some of you guys put this revolver together?? In a 45 Colt?? Any good smith recommendations, or smiths who already have revolvers like this for sale??

I am also looking at a S&W 460 Magnum cartridge. I think I can also chamber my Low Wall to that cartridge. But I really do believe the 45 Colt will do what I want. Tom.

Tom,
I agree wholeheartedly.
A 45 colt WILL do what you want.
I will admit to some bias.
My suggestion is pretty simple:
Buy a ruger blackhawk in 45 Colt
Send the cylinder to cylindersmith.com to get the throats reamed if necessary
Install a Belt Mountain base pin
Send gun to Bob Munden for an action and trigger job.
Install Bowen rear sight
Go buy an 8lb keg of Red Dot, an 8lb keg of 2400, a couple bricks of LP primers, and a BUNCH of 250 grain boolits
Load your favorite 250 grain boolit over 6.5 grains of Red Dot for plinking or 18.5 grains of 2400 for hunting.
Shoot the bejeezus out of it.
Simple enough?
I know this formula works. Look in my holster and that's what you'll see.
You want accuracy? My gun will go 5 for 5 on clay pigeons set on the 100 yard berm.
When I miss, I'm confident it was me and not the gun.
You're right about the power of the 45 Colt. I've killed deer hogs and antelope with these loads.

NickSS
09-08-2010, 05:46 AM
If your low wall is a Uberti product you may make it a bomb with a full power 454 eound and will certainly do so with a 460S&W. They are built for under 28000 psi cartridges and both the casull and the 460 generate in the 50 to 60000 psi range

HEAD0001
09-08-2010, 08:24 AM
If your low wall is a Uberti product you may make it a bomb with a full power 454 eound and will certainly do so with a 460S&W. They are built for under 28000 psi cartridges and both the casull and the 460 generate in the 50 to 60000 psi range

Nope not a Uberti. It is one from Miroku. Miroku made a Low Wall in 454. I do not know how many. But I saw one. And I was just a few minutes behind the buyer. The fellow sold the rifle for $650. And it had really nice wod. Tom.

Whitworth
09-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Another option is a BFR in .454 Casull. You can usually find them new for around $850.00. Get a .454 and you at least have the option of loading mild to wild if you get the urge. All of the BFRs I have shot/tested have been extremely accurate (it doesn't hurt that Magnum Research sources its barrels from Badger).

HEAD0001
09-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Another option is a BFR in .454 Casull. You can usually find them new for around $850.00. Get a .454 and you at least have the option of loading mild to wild if you get the urge. All of the BFRs I have shot/tested have been extremely accurate (it doesn't hurt that Magnum Research sources its barrels from Badger).

I looked at those. But to be honest I know absolutely nothing about them.

The one thing I do not like about the 454 and the 460 is the weight of the revolver. They are bigguns. Even the FA revlover in 454 is a biggun. Tom.

HEAD0001
09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I have spent a couple of hours researching those BFR's. And I also called the factory and a guy answered my questions pretty well. And he did not try to candy coat anything. He told me pretty straight. I guess I could shoot my 45 Colt ammo in that revolver with great success from what he said. And I do like their short cylinder version.

Anybody else have any information on the BFR's?? It is looking like a viable solution. Especially when a Ruger is approaching the $700 price tag with the same feaures(with a scope mount-the BH Hunter). Weight is also comparable. Thanks, Tom.

RobS
09-08-2010, 11:48 AM
The BFR is a good company that's been putting out some nice firearms. There are great reviews and many here on the forum have been extremely happy with theirs. I was looking into the BFR, but decided to go with a Ruger SRH since I like double action revolvers. Describing your intent, the 460 S&W isn't going to be what you are after IMHO.

JesterGrin_1
09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
From what I have read here on the forum I would go with the BFR and NOT the Freedom or choose a Ruger. :)

Ed K
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Anybody else have any information on the BFR's??

I have a short cylinder 475. They represent a tremendous value. I also have a FA 454. I could only find a FA 475 at 3x the price and that was too much for me. There is no question the FA is more carefully put together. On the other hand I cannot determine the BFR is any less the shooter.

The BFR is BIG. It is no sidearm. I basically consider it a primary hunting firearm. I cannot really ever imagine carrying a rifle and a holstered BFR (even more so the long cylinder models). If that is what you want to do I might steer you away however you should at least try to put one in your hands if you do go that direction. As much as I like my FA, even it at a little over 50 oz is too much to hang on your hip just to have it there. I use something more like a 39oz S&W mountain gun for that. However the FA holstered for a hunt with a rifle in hand wouldn't be ridiculous like I feel the BFR would be. I don't even have a holster for it as I keep it in a rug and carry in hand while hunting.

Basically I'm saying if I had to do it all over again I would readily buy the BFR - just be clear on what you expect to be doing with it. I see that carrying a low-wall for a 45 Colt you are not overly sensitive about how much wood and steel you have vs level of firepower. Handle one if you can, think it through and if it makes sense for you then you should be happy with the BFR - especially price vs performance.

Whitworth
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Size wise, the BFR is like a slightly beefed up Ruger Super Blackhawk. With a shorter barrel, they are every bit as packable as a Ruger. Here is a pic of my BFR in .500 JRH.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000390.jpg

Changeling
09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Size wise, the BFR is like a slightly beefed up Ruger Super Blackhawk. With a shorter barrel, they are every bit as packable as a Ruger. Here is a pic of my BFR in .500 JRH.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000390.jpg

WOW, that is a beautiful revolver, Awesome picture setting by the way.

Whitworth
09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Thank you, sir!

HEAD0001
09-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I won't be hunting with both at the same time. Or t least not very often. And big bears are not an issue. And actualy I like the idea of a little heavier revolver. I should be able to shoot it a little better, and have less muzzle flip with the heavier barrel.

That 7-1/2" BFR looks pretty good in the short cylinder. However you have to buy it in 454 cartridge. I realize you can shoot the 45 Colt in that cylinder. But does accuracy suffer by shooting a shorter catridge in that cylinder??

I definitely want my 45 Colt ammo to match with my Low Wall(20.0 grains of 2400 under an RCBS 255). Tom.

JJC
09-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I had a BFR in 454 it was the most accurate revolver I have ever shot. However I did not shoot it much and sold it. A side note, a friend of mine that thinks he's billy bad a$$ took one shot and put it down. My wife shot it twice just to show him up. It does kick alittle. 45 colt is all I need in CO anyways... for now