PDA

View Full Version : Exposed Lube Grooves...

BCB
09-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I shoot the 287346, 280642, and 311041, among others in various handguns/rifles. I try to seat the boolit at or touching the riflings…

The problem is that all, or most, of the lube grooves are outside of the case neck. Do you guys lube all of the grooves and just let the lube exposed? Otherwise, there would be no lube on the boolit—maybe I answered my own question?...

Thanks…BCB

fredj338
09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't like an exposed lube groove that has lube in it. It only collects dirt, cab't be good for the bbl. So I seat to cover all the grooves, but I only shoot lead in my 45-70 as far as rifles go.

RayinNH
09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
I leave lubed grooves exposed. I load and put up in plastic ammo boxes, dust cant get in. Now if it were hunting ammo rolling around in a pocket collecting lint and such then I would probably deep seat the boolits unless there were suficient grooves in the case with lube on them as in a Loverin design...Ray

RU shooter
09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm with Ray I leave the lube exposed. And even if your hunting or such and have'em in your pocket whats a little lint gonna hurt I put lint in the case under the bullet anyways with certian loads. If you drop one in the dirt well then dont shoot that one ,I'm sure that aint your only shell.

Tim

Horace
09-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I`ve found out that the exposed lube grooves need not be full of lube to shoot well.As in my 308 with 311299 lyman.

Horace

geargnasher
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM
How are you keeping those boolits in the case if NONE of the grooves are in the case neck?

Gear

jonk
09-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I've never given it a second thought; while I might not lube all the grooves (depends how many there are, 2-3 are plenty, no need to lube all 6 on some molds) I seat first and foremost to be just off the rifling when possible. If that means lube is exposed, so be it; as was indicated above, I store my reloads in plastic boxes, or zip locks if I'm running low. No appreciable dirt is going to get to them. The one danger is with SOME lubes, if it is really hot out, the lube can melt and run off the bullet.

Larry Gibson
09-08-2010, 01:32 PM
When just shooting at a range it doesn't bother me much. I shoot a lot of Lovern style bullets and keep them in plastic cartridge boxes so they stay clean until loaded. While I used to try to always seat either just touching or just off the lands I found the if the driving bands fit the throat that accuracy is just as good and sometimes better even if the cast bullet is not seated to the leade. And, quite frankly, many rifles, especially milsurps, just won't know the difference.

On my "walk about" rifles I have 3 criteria concerning lube grooves listed in order of precidence; 1st is I don't like the GC to extend down into the case below the case neck. The lube can contaminate the powder and also that part of the bullet can get gas cut reducing accuracy and causing leading. With softer alloys the base of the bullet can also rivet before entering the case neck and throat leaving an unsquare base which is not good for accuracy. 2nd is reliable feeding. Some nose designs, especially those with WFNs, only feed well from the magazine (a full magazine not just one to load the chamber) within a certain OAL. This can adversely #1. I want feeding to be reliable and many times this is also a major consideration in selection of a cast bullet design for certain types/actions of rifles. #rd is I don't really like any lube grooves exposed. they can collect dirst, even in the magazine and require special carrying provisions.

If reasons #2 and #3 are met but still require an exposed lube groove I can live with that. I have the MTM 20 round cartridge boxes that have a hinged lid and clips to carry it on a belt. That works well for me, especially with the Lovern designs in the .223, the 6.5, the .30 cals and the 8mm. However, I only use the Loverns for walk about and field shooting if I've no other workable cast bullet design that meets the criteria of all 3 reasons.

I really try to avoid exposed lube grooves in gas guns at all costs. The exposed lube on the rounds in the magazine will collect debri during the action functioning/cycling when the previous rounds are fired. Now I do use 311466 in the 7.62N in my M1As with very good success. However I do not put lube in the 1st 2 lube grooves and sized the 1st full driving band to .300 so they will fit into the throat with the GC seated at the bottom of the case neck. Feeding is flawless.

My reasons vary from others and that's ok too, it's just the way I do it that fits my shooting needs.

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
I go with Larry! Besides, I use Lars red, and the grooves filled with it above the neck look sort of classy-----guess in todays vernacular that would be COOL!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Bret4207
09-10-2010, 06:50 AM
If the exposed lube really bothers you,you can dust the exposed area with mica, graphite, even cornstarch or baby powder to get rid of the "sticky". Another option is to use a cartridge carrier, even the traditional leather carriers would protect from dust and dirt. If I'm out woods or field walking I just put my loaded rounds in a baggie. Works, light, cheap, the cartridges don't get mixed up with the knife and junk in my pockets.

rintinglen
09-11-2010, 01:44 AM
I use Lee Liquid alox, load to whatever length necessary, and never lose any sleep over it. I have loaded and shot 1000's of 311-041 and 311-466 rounds lubed in this manner and have seldom had an issue with leading.
I shoot lever action silhouette and in years gone by have gone through 600 a month, mostly with 17.5 grains of 2400, but a great many with 34 grains of WW-748.