PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you stop fluxing ?

mac1911
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I was melting down some indoor range scrap. I decided to flux this batch really good.
35lbs of melted lead,scimmed off the junk and jackets. 700'F by the thermometer
Dropped a good chunk of wax in......cleaned out a good amount of junk
2nd was saw dust a decent handful stired stired and let it work for about 10 min while mixing it up every few minutes.
finally took the big paint stick stir stir stir clean off stir stir stir clean off 3,4,5 times.
I got to a point where I think I would get the same amount of junk every time I would flux. Enough times I dont think I would have anything left in the pot.

When is enuffAnuff

Edubya
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
First you've got to understand that not all that you have skimmed off is contaminants and you should let the saw dust or oils sit on the molten lead in order to not expose the lead to air. Here is a partial quote from the site listed below.
"the scum which forms on the surface of the melt is a mixture of metal oxides, not tin or tin oxide only. Fluxing returns much of the oxidized metal to the melt. Oxidation occurs only at the surface of the melt"
"After alloy is added wait for the temperature to return to its liquidus before fluxing. Don’t skim off the metal oxides, flux them back in."
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

It would be best if you study the whole page on the above listed site.

EW

sagacious
09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I was melting down some indoor range scrap.
Dropped a good chunk of wax in......cleaned out a good amount of junk
At this point, if you used proper fluxing technique, you were done fluxing and ready to pour.

2nd was saw dust a decent handful stired stired and let it work for about 10 min while mixing it up every few minutes.
The second fluxing was unnecessary, but the re-mixing every few minutes can/will actually cause problems. It increases drossing and can mix particulates back into the melt.

finally took the big paint stick stir stir stir clean off stir stir stir clean off 3,4,5 times.
I got to a point where I think I would get the same amount of junk every time I would flux. Enough times I dont think I would have anything left in the pot.

When is enuffAnuff
The 'junk' you get from suceeding flux attempts is likely just oxidize lead from excessive stirring. All that stir, stir, stirring actually increases the drossing.

Combine the wax fluxing with the paint stick stirring in the same step, skim off the powdery dross, and then get set to pour. Only stir when the wax is present during fluxing, and don't stir excessively after the inital flux is done. This article will help: http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm Good luck.

mac1911
09-07-2010, 11:23 PM
I did read this article. I miss understood I quess. Im just in the smelting process I have only casted some 12g slugs. So when I get to the point of dropping some bullets I should flux the small pot and then leave it be. Im useing a bottom poor lee pro 4-20 when I do decide to cast some bullets.

lwknight
09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Fluxing cannot affect what in suspended in the alloy that will not float up on its own merit. It does cause the lead alloy to release what is just under the surface and in the case of clips in the smelting process , lead will be stuck to the clips without the fluxing process.
Also tiny grains of contaminants will be freed up to skim off during the fluxing but will no longer remain free once the re-drossing begins.
Once you have clean alloy , and in a molten state , there will always be some dross on top. Don't worry about it. In fact even after adding more ingots and getting more dross , still don't worry about it unless it gets excessive or its the end of the session and you are starting cool down for the day.

Continuous skimming will deplete your tin content somewhat.

One thing I like to do when shutting down is to drop a bit of wax in the pot and while its yet flaming , stir the pee-waddly out of it and skim the dusty floaties then cover the pot to stop air with oxygen while it cools down. Not worth a lot but it looks better when its cooled.

fredj338
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I flux once during smelting, pour ingots. When I add ingots to my casting pot, I'll flux again. That has always been enough.

docone31
09-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I do not use flux.
I have a layer of Kitty Litter, bituminous clay, and it absorbs contaminants. In time it crumbles into powder so I have very little loss of metals.