PDA

View Full Version : Worthless Taurus Warranty

Molly
09-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Gentlemen,

This letter is to inform you exactly how Taurus International honors its repair policies so that you may better serve your readership. Their website offers the following promise:

Quote: “The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.
Simply put, our unprecedented repair policy stands firmly behind every firearm imported or manufactured by Taurus International. The full terms are we will repair your Taurus firearm FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm.” End quote.

This has not been my experience with Taurus. On 5/23/2010, I purchased a new “in the box” Taurus Model 94 22 caliber revolver. On inspection, it seemed to have some dust and oil in the chambers, but I had no concern that it wouldn’t wipe out. My mistake. When I tried to clean it, the chambers appeared to have been cut – or at least finished - with a twist drill bit. The hammer pull was so heavy that my wife could not cock the gun. The grip screw could not be removed to allow the pull to be lightened. On 6/14/2010, I contacted Taurus with a very polite letter asking that these problems be corrected. I also asked for an owner’s manual, as none was supplied with the gun. The letter and gun were sent to Taurus International, 16175 NW 49 Avenue, Miami, FL 33014. The gun was returned without a single requested correction, and with absolutely no explanatory note or comment.

I wrote Taurus repeatedly, asking that they honor their warranty. I even assumed that their lack of response was due to letters being lost in the mail, and sent my last letter registered, signature required. It was signed for at Taurus by Ms. “Cynthia S.” of the CEO’s staff on 8/24/2010. To date (9/7/2010), Taurus has made no response by phone, e-mail or postal service, though the necessary information was provided them in every letter.

To compound matters, subsequent test firing of the revolver revealed that it shoots so far to the left that it simply cannot be sighted in, even with the rear sight blade so far right that it would be in danger of falling out if moved further. This is not poor marksmanship on my part, as my K-22 has no such problem.

It looks like Taurus has made warranty promises that it has absolutely no intention of fulfilling. You might keep this in mind when advising your readership regarding prospective firearms purchases. For my part, I will post this letter to every firearms related internet website, magazine and organization I can locate so that Taurus can be given the credibility it is due.

Respectfully,
Kenneth Mollohan
3988G Maplecove Lane
Cincinnati, OH 45255
kennethmollohan@gmail.com
[513] 843-0243

tek4260
09-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Learned this lesson long ago but sometimes I get bit like I did with the little 44 Tracker. Of course when I say something about it on the forums, the Taurus lovers waste no time jumping up and down definding the garbage that is Taurus firearms.

Just a thought...

They probably can't get them screws loose without screwing them up either! Maybe why they don't wanna work on it :o

Guesser
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Please go over to "taurusarmed.net" and read the stickies. They will tell you how to deal with Taurus customer service. There are a lot of satisfied Taurus customers and shooters that the site has helped work thru the maze of conflicting rumors and valid dissatisfied resolutions. Please add your experiences to the list, it can only help!!

Molly
09-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Please go over to "taurusarmed.net" ... Please add your experiences to the list, it can only help!!

Thanks Guesser. I posted it in their complaints forum. Now let's see if anyone responds. Nobody associated with Taurus has so far.

Molly

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
excuse my language but taurus sucks!

500bfrman
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
excuse my language but taurus sucks!

and only taurus. no one else every has a cs hiccup. bwaaahaahaa

Guesser
09-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yup!!! Its like a designated driver for the occasion, except that Taurus has been designated "BAD" for the next 10 generations!!!!!!!!!

wolfman
09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks Guesser. I posted it in their complaints forum. Now let's see if anyone responds. Nobody associated with Taurus has so far.

Molly

And they probably will not call you either. Since Taurus.net is not an "official company website", I highly doubt that a Taurus employee will respond to a post on that forum. Unless there is a problem or question during the repair process to your firearm, Taurus most likely will not call you, and almost all contact with their customer service department, is customer call in only, ie: you call them.

I bought a new PT1911 stainless in May 2010, and while cleaning it after my first range trip, I noticed a machining flaw in the barrel. Called customer service, after explaining the problem to the customer service rep, she ask what I thought should be done. When I said "I believe the barrel should be replaced", she said OK and arranged for Fed Ex to pick the gun up the next day at their cost. Even after waiting for a new stanless barrel to be shipped in from Brazil, it only took 2 months for me to get it back.

All in all, the gun is a great shooter, sub 1" groups at 25yds, (when I do my part), and I am very happy with my experience with the customer service department.

donjose
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Taurus, Rossi all TURDS!!!!

Definition of TURD from merriam-webster.com

1. sometimes vulgar : a piece of fecal matter

Jason

Guesser
09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes, taurusarmed.net is not part of TaurusUSA; but it is a great source of info and help, just as this site is and the Rugerforums and the Coltforum and the High Road(both) and none of them are a company forum. Just good and knowledgeable people helping more good people. YAY TEAM!!!!!!!!

Steelbanger
09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
If your revolver shoots to the left you should move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the bullet impact. So try moving your rear sight to the left.

357shooter
09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Very strange. I called w/a question with my model 85, they agreed to check it out and arranged for Fed Ex to pick it up the next day. They did find something wrong and sent me a brand new gun. No charges or questions.

They did open a tracking number when I called them (case number or some such thing) and had me refer to that in the info I included with the gun.

I assume their customer phone support wasn't any help so far or you wouldn't be in this situation. Sorry for the bad experience.

Marvin S
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Just dump it, and make a note to self. There are lots of complaints about them for a good reason.

Guesser
09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
There are lots of complaints about everything. Over at the Ruger forum they have had a thread running for several days about how all the new Rugers are junk. On the High Road are frequent threads on new S&W substandard quality. I hear fewer complaints about Hi-Points than any other brand. The only long running Hi-Point complaint is about how ugly they are. They are all just machinery made by man, as such there are problems. Look at Toyota, they were the highest rated in class 2 years ago. It goes on and on. Usually the single biggest detriment is personality.

Ed K
09-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Just dump it, and make a note to self. There are lots of complaints about them for a good reason.

I dumped my one-and-only on a large dealer in trade. Didn't feel bad about as it seems it was representative of typical Taurus quality - no better or worse. Managed to lose no more than $20 and now have such a "note to self". Probably the best plan.

Molly
09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
If your revolver shoots to the left you should move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the bullet impact. So try moving your rear sight to the left.

You quote the rule correctly, but do not apply it correctly. Moving the rear sight to the left will move point of impact further left. It already shoots left. It needs to come RIGHT.

Marvin S
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll keep my smiths and USFA's and you can keep your taurus.

Molly
09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I'll keep my smiths and USFA's and you can keep your taurus.

To give the Taurus its due, it IS an attractive little gun, and just about the right size to replace my Smith Kit Gun, which had developed seriously sticky extraction after many years of high speed ammo. Stainless too, reducing the care and maintenance needed. Those are the reasons I bought it.

Shoulda kept the Kit Gun and sent it back for a new cylinder.

c3d4b2
09-07-2010, 10:02 PM
It seems Molly does not have thew customer assistance number to call and is missing the manual. Would one of you fine gentlemen help him out with the number?

Molly
09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
It seems Molly does not have thew customer assistance number to call and is missing the manual. Would one of you fine gentlemen help him out with the number?

Molly DOES have the CS phone number: It is prominently displayed on their web site. Molly DID call it before beginning to post his letter of complaint at various sites.

The Taurus CS gal listened politely while I read the letter to her. She never responded to a single issue raised in it. She only asked if I could fax her a copy of it. I told her "not conveniently", but I mailed her a copy today. I found it significant that she did NOT ask for an opportunity to re-evaluate the pistol or to repair it.

shotman
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I guess all firearms have problems I bought a new S&W 337 was looking it over and BARREL was loose. Called smith and they said I was talking about the shroud. I said No the barrel . He said that was IMPOSSABLE that it could not have been shipped. Returned the gun got new gun different serial a very nice letter and a check for $150 for my inconventance. Guessing that I had shot it someone was going to get killed.
Returned 2 Rugar super redhawks with brass in the cylinders both where bought at same time fired both and couldnt get brass out.
so I guess it happens to all

Marvin S
09-08-2010, 07:17 AM
They fixed them to your satisfaction the first time?

c3d4b2
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Molly DOES have the CS phone number: It is prominently displayed on their web site. Molly DID call it before beginning to post his letter of complaint at various sites.

Sorry, I must have missed it in your posts. That's what I get for skimming over the posts. :oops:

myg30
09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Sorry you had trouble with them. Hope it gets resolved soon.
I had a 605 that just jammed up ! It was returned to the gun store where purchased and they sent it to taurus for repair. About 8 months later I took it out of the safe to shoot and low and behole it just plain jammed up again after a few cyls of 357 mag ammo. This time it still had loaded rounds in the cyl. Couldnt get them out,cyl release was not working,trigger,nothing. The dealer got the rounds out and again sent it back and 2 months later I got a BRAND NEW 605! This one had the key lok but its ok. Took a bit,but they did me good after 2nd time. If this were my only gun, I'd be pi--ed off at them.

Good luck, Mike