PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye Rendezvous

Hickory
09-07-2010, 07:45 AM
This is just a feeler to see if this idea has any merit or goes anywhere.

I have noticed as some of you probably have, that there are a lot of Buckeyes on the castboolit page. (That’s Ohioans’ if you don’t know what a buckeye is)

I was thinking it might be a good thing getting together in a central location here in Ohio and get to know each other sort of face-to-face. Spend the day, bring the family if you can. The logical place to do this would be a State Park with a cookout & potluck.

I was thinking next year sometime in early June. This gives us plenty of time for planning.

If this does not get any legs, I guess it’s not a good idea.
So, what do you guy think? Yea /Nay?

4060MAY
09-07-2010, 05:28 PM
where?

Hickory
09-07-2010, 06:40 PM
A central location. Maybe around Columbus area.

george1980
09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
sounds like a good idea to me , just a thought though we do have a few state parks with both pistol and rifle ranges , one of them would be a great place to have a summer shindig

Firebricker
09-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea plus there's a lot of members in surrounding state's that might be able to make it. FB

Hickory
09-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I was hoping that more people would be interested in getting together.
We can kick it around for a while and see if there might be more interest here.
I have no idea what State Parks are around Coulmbus. I'll check it out on a map and maybe go down there to "eyeball" it.

Zbench
09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Hickory,

Cleveland Suburbs here, I'd be in.

Pete

Firebricker
09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I was hoping that more people would be interested in getting together.
We can kick it around for a while and see if there might be more interest here.
I have no idea what State Parks are around Coulmbus. I'll check it out on a map and maybe go down there to "eyeball" it.

I would not get discouraged yet it there's a lot of time for it to pick up steam. FB

4060MAY
09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
location is ok for me,

keep it going

Shepherd2
09-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Check out Columbus Metropolitan Parks, I think it's called. They have many big parks around the Columbus area. I think most are outside the city limits and some most are quite large. There is also Delaware State Park north of Columbus. Delaware has (or had) a shooting range. When I used to go there many years ago it was small and crowded.

If you need info on the Columbus parks, let me know. I have a friend who is the forester there.

Ohio Rusty
09-11-2010, 09:18 AM
There are quite a few places to be able to meet. One place that has merit is Delaware State Park just noth of Columbus on Rt. 23. It is a nice park with a beach for swimming, large lake, and there is a shooting range just up the road from the state park.
There is also Hoover Resevoir north of Columbus. No beach or shooting range, but easy to get to from I 270 in north Columbus and the fishing is pretty decent.
Another consideration is the Columbus Metro Park system. Lots of different parks all around central Ohio, but I'm not sure of what the rules are about having firearms in a metro park. I'd like to do show and tell as everyone else would be inclined to do.
I'm up for a get together .... I make the best pasta salad ......

Maybe we can give away some wheelweights in a surprize raffle ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

Hickory
09-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Rusty;
The Deleware State park sounds like it might be the place to meet.
The goal is to meet some of the other people on the castboolit board, even if they are not fron Ohio. Shooting would be a plus, but I'd have to check it out for rules and permits?

george1980
09-11-2010, 06:19 PM
deleware state park or anywhere works for me im near centralia so everywhere in the state is only a couple hours

Firebricker
09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I will look up the hours for the Delaware range in the morning. The range is right up the road from the state park. The range is on St.Rt.229 and 23 in between Delaware and Marion both of hotels. Cardinal center is the new trap range they have a huge campground and it's abought ten minutes away from the park.

The range used to be free but now you have to get a pass they can be bought at the Norton gun shop or probably online too. Still a lot of other possabilities but thought I'd post a little abought the area. FB

Hickory
09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks Firebrick,
I'm writing all this down.
Any information is appreciated.

The10mmKid
09-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm in.
Pretty flexible with the date with at least a month or so confirmation.

Here's some Ohio State Park info.

Delaware:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/WildlifeAreaMaps/CentralOhioWildlifeAreas/DelawareWildlifeArea/tabid/19699/Default.aspx

All parks w/ranges:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/shooting_infolandingpage/shooting_ranges_default/tabid/17601/Default.aspx

Can we do a blind gift exchange?
Bring a USPS Medium FRB full of goodies and go home with a different one.

Thanks for starting this Hickory!!!

'da Kid

Johnch
09-12-2010, 06:02 PM
If I am not working
I would be interested

If someone wants to camp localy
Cardinail Center isn't far from there
A great campground and dog freindly

John

Old Goat Keeper
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm not a buckeye but I would slip on over from PA if the dates work for my schedule. Shucks what's a line on the map to gun nuts!

Tom

Hickory
09-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm not a buckeye but I would slip on over from PA if the dates work for my schedule. Shucks what's a line on the map to gun nuts!

Tom

Glad to have you come visit next year,
but leave the goats at home:kidding:

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-13-2010, 09:01 AM
but leave the goats at home:kidding:

WHY? Goats make good target practice, and boolit expansion testing material . . . taste good too if you don't blast it up too much!:kidding:

[smilie=s:

Hickory
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
I called Norton Sporting Goods about Shooting permits. Just outside Delaware State Park. (740) 726-2616

Permits are $5.00 per day. They can be bought online or at Nortons.
They are good anytime during the year, (BUT) you can only use it once.
A DNR person will be there to collect the permits and run the range.

The range is open Wed-Sun 9:00am to I did catch the closing time and forgot to ask as he was spuing out information. Friday Saturday and Sunday have the most shooters With Wednesday and Thursday being the slow days.

You can shoot any caliber but no full autos There are 10 rifle potions and open pistol areas for shooting. Shooting shotguns is free.

I'm thinking Wed would be good day to meet there IF your like me and are retired.

What say you?

madsenshooter
09-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Here's a couple more posibilities for whoever is doing the organizing. Dillon State Park, North of Zanesville has both rifle and pistol ranges, or maybe I should say they used to. The Zanesville Rifle Club operates a 100, 200 and 300 yard rifle range at Blue Rock State Park, which is south of Zanesville, there's also pistol shooting areas behind the pits. It's a smaller park with less of a crowd. http://www.zanesvillerifleclub.com/ I was just there last weekend for an 80 round match. About the goats, does it smell any better than lamb when you're cooking it? If so, bring a couple.

DIRT Farmer
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Would any of you be intersted in a range in South Eastern IN with a large range and camping? A lot of fireing points and in the middle of nowhare. If so contact me, or post here.

Hickory
09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
About the goats, does it smell any better than lamb when you're cooking it? If so, bring a couple.

There is a reason why Jesus will seperate the sheep from the goats.

Old Goat Keeper
09-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Not MY girls! Shucks you'd be suprised what I can get for one of my does that is purebred and registered. Mity expensive eating guys! When I want to eat a goat I buy a cheap one!

But can I still come without my goats??? :kidding:

Tom

WHY? Goats make good target practice, and boolit expansion testing material . . . taste good too if you don't blast it up too much!:kidding:

[smilie=s:

Old Goat Keeper
09-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Goat meat, aka chevon, from a yearling tastes just like good venison. Yeah if you butcher an old stinky buck it ain't gonna taste very good.

Tom

About the goats, does it smell any better than lamb when you're cooking it? If so, bring a couple.

StrawHat
09-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Not MY girls! Shucks you'd be suprised what I can get for one of my does that is purebred and registered. Tom

Are you bringing any goat cheese? That is some fine tasting product, my wife and I both enjoy goat sheese and now we are able to find it more frequently.

Sorry for the drift. If I am available, I will drive to the meeting place and stay a while.

Hickory
09-16-2010, 07:09 PM
bump up incase you missed this:bigsmyl2:

Old Goat Keeper
09-17-2010, 11:30 PM
StrawHat it all depends on what time of year the get to gether is. The girls have to be in milk to make cheese. But if I have milk I will bring cheese! Soft cheese that is. YUMMY stuff!

Tom

Are you bringing any goat cheese? That is some fine tasting product, my wife and I both enjoy goat sheese and now we are able to find it more frequently.

Sorry for the drift. If I am available, I will drive to the meeting place and stay a while.

Hickory
09-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Old Goat Keeper;
When my daughter was in 4-H she had goats (toggenburgs) not the best of milk goats, but I know about milking them.
In 4-H if you show them and have kidded you have to show the udder also.
So they have to be in milk
We have made cream cheese and cottage cheese from the milk and given it to one person whos baby was alergic to milk. Togg's don't give the best milk and the cheeses were a little off flavor, except for the cream cheese, that was real good.

So, when I came down on goats, it was because I know what a pain they can be.
Especially when you are trying to raise a nice garden and the goats get out of the fence.:violin:

Firebricker
09-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Were narrowing down locations but target choices are still up in the air paper, steel or goat's. If we go with goats will have to include stray cat's to be fair and should invite some peta member's for good measure. LOL FB

Hickory
09-26-2010, 08:19 AM
You will have to bring your own targets and target holders,
not shooting live targets unless in defence of life and family.:bigsmyl2:

I'm still gathering information.
So far looks like the second week in June.

madsenshooter
09-28-2010, 12:35 PM
I checked at Dillon State Park over the weekend. Their range is only open Wed, Sat, Sun. And it cost $5/hr to shoot, not $5/day, an hour. That's ridiculous! The guys that trashed up the ranges are to blame for this sort of thing coming about, the slobs! Anyway, for the kind of money the state would get from us for shooting, we could probably rent the range at Bluerock for the day, though I've not approached any of the Zanesville Rifle Club's members about it, and I'm not too sure about their schedule for the end of the year, think they have one match left.

Firebricker
03-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Getting close to time to start thinking about this again. I would like to see this work out I think it would be a lot of fun. FB

Ohio Rusty
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm open to anywhere the group selects, Zanzesville is only about an hour north of me her in S.E. Ohio. I hope this get topgether will gather steam. I've never met anyone on the board, and It would be enjoyable to do a meet and greet.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Hocking County

Hickory
03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Well I should get off the pot on this and put it together.
Delaware State Park seems to be a good central location.
I'll secure a shelter-house as soon as I get some money.
I still think the middle of June would be a good time to meet.[smilie=2:

DragoonDrake
03-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I will try to make it as long as it is on a weekend that is not the first weekend in a month. Also not the second weekend in July as that is when I am getting married.

Hickory
04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
How does June 17 sound to you guys?
It's a Friday and it's available.
If I get 10 people I'll rent the shelter house.

4060MAY
04-12-2011, 02:40 PM
we gonna shot
or hang out and show and tell?

Firebricker
05-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Is this still in the works for second week in June ? I think it would be a good chance to shoot and get to know one another. FB

Hickory
05-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Sorry; not enough interest to make it worth while.

Firebricker
05-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Hickory, It was a good idea and maybe we can get it going for next year. FB