PDA

View Full Version : Another ? about where to get BPCR...

straightshooter1
09-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info on lube, I have sent an email to Bullshop, waiting for a response and got a PM from LAR45 (now I know it's a him, not an it) but another problem has raised its ugly head.

As you see below, I had a slight problem with the powder. I have one can of Goex 2F left, it is at least 4 years old or more. A tiny bit in another can which I think may be a problem.

BTW, OK day at the range. The Alox loads were messier, shot well. I did have 6 misfires (not sure of the right word) with SPG lubed boolits. The primer (Fed Mag) fired, but the powder didn't. Kind of a messy, dirty thing, and the bullet barely moved into the throat. Never had anything like that happen before. Kind of like the powder was damp, had no power, etc. I had a .030 wad, 61 grains of 2F, slightly compressed, and no extra lube on the boolit (see my prior post about dried up SPG). The powder sort of burned, sort of not. Hard to describe as I have never seen anything like it. Messy is the best description. Left thick, black soot-like residue in the casing.

Any ideas? I am thinking powder problem and can throw away the small amount I have in one can. The other can has never been opened. I had always heard/believed BP was not subject to aging problems. The can I was using had been opened 3-4 years ago. The one I have left is unopened.

Here's another problem for me. The shops where I bought BP are out of business. No one else in Tampa Bay I know of sell BP. Online seems to require a purchase of 25 pounds. Is there somewhere I can buy less?

13Echo
09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
It would seem the SPG lube melted and ran or wicked into the powder. This will cause a really messy misfire. It may be prevented or lessened with a wad between the bullet and the powder column that seals the powder off from the lube and by keeping the loaded rounds cool and stored point down. It can also be prevented by using a lube with a higher melting point. Many shooters have lube formulas for summer and winter for this very reason. If your powder in the can has never been wet, or otherwise contaminated it should still be good. Black powder that is properly stored essentially has no shelf life.

Jerry Liles

straightshooter1
09-08-2006, 09:19 PM
I immediately thought that there was some lube contamination as you suggest, Jerry. But, I had the wad in place, the cartridges were stored point down, and I had just loaded them a few days ago. The SPG lube was very dry, kinda like little round pieces of dandruff.

Sure was a mess, though.

Bob

mooman76
09-08-2006, 09:59 PM
You live in Florida where there is high humidity. That might be it. You might check with the local BP clubs. They should know where to go or sometimes they buy their own for the club in large quantities!

wills
09-08-2006, 11:00 PM
You can order from powder inc in five pound quantities.

John Boy
09-08-2006, 11:01 PM
SS: Powder Inc sells orders for 5 pounds ... http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

straightshooter1
09-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the info-5 pounds seems reasonable.

Definitely high humidity here. Short walk = wet & sweaty this time of year.

44man
09-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Where do you store your primers? I bet they are degraded fom moisture or heat.
Black powder can be soaked in water, dried and fired. It will even shoot if a little damp.

straightshooter1
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Primers are (and always have been) stored in A/C in the house. I don't quite understand it, as most of the cartridges fired, they were quite accurate and only 6 of the first 25 I loaded, failed to fire.

Bob

13Echo
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
If black powder is not wet or lube contaminated and the primers fire there will be ignition and the powder will burn and the bullet will leave the barrel. A primer by itself has sufficient energy to move a lead bullet into the throat whether or not the powder burns. Since the primers fired and there was a mess of unburned powder the powder was contaminated with something. Just what is the question.

Jerry Liles